collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 383
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sauber is saved for the time being  (Read 1294 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Sauber is saved for the time being
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
Sauber was facing a uphill battle against steep economic struggle, and this may look like a life-line for the team for the time being, but I do have some sort of question about the drivers line they have to deal with. Now with this agreement, they will be slotting two pay-drivers to achieve results to sustain themselves in the F1 world. How much of success these two will bring, I have genuine doubt about that. Surely Nico Hulkenberg is on the exit route to where we don't know it yet, but my money is in Lotus, though are talks about being in the Ferrari as well.

http://en.espnf1.com/sauber/motorsport/story/116371.html

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Sauber is saved for the time being
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »

Glad Sauber has got some funding that it badly needs,  :good: it was always going to come with stings attached so a Russian rookie is no real surprise. In fact Sauber has a reputation for taking drivers with next to no experience, Kimi is a fine example, so giving a young Russian a seat is probably no hardship for Peter or his team.

I seem to recall first Perez and then Gutiérrez have come to Sauber as pay drivers courtesy of Multi million dollar Mexican backing from Carlos slim, so it's just a new set of backers calling the shots.

This kinda sets the question rolling of where the Hulk or Gutiérrez may find seats next season? Could we see Esteban slot into the Marussia alongside Max, after all the tail end outfit is becoming more like a Macca B team than FIF1 ever was? Oh and could Marussia take up Honda power for 2015 as well with some Mexican sponsorship money????   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

vintly

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »
Oh and could Marussia take up Honda power for 2015 as well with some Mexican sponsorship money????   

They could change their name to M'Arriba.

I'd like to see the Hulk go to Red Bull if Kimi stays put.

Good news for Sauber. I wonder if Abramovich had anything to do with the Russian deal, seeing as his Chelsea is already a Sauber sponsor. Either way a good thing.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
I'm glad to see that Sauber has received this additional boost.  They really needed it, especially since this year is turning into a bit of a struggle.

I'm concerned about the prospect of this driver making his debut next year though.  He'll only be eighteen, and I think that this is too young to make a race debut.  Surely running him in a few Friday sessions to start with next year would be more sensible?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »
I have noticed that the pay drivers the last few seasons have been, generally, quality drivers.

There might be better non pay drivers available, but I don't think drivers like Petrov, Perez or Gutierez have been embarassments.  Even Maldonado and Grosjean have shown they have the skills to be in F1, if not the patience.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »
Agreed on all counts Jeri.

My only concern is the guy's age.  Drivers in their very early 20s is alright by me, but 18 just strikes me as too young.  We'll have to see though.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »
Yeah, I think the pay drivers these days aren't like the rich kids of the old days who raced with Daddy's (or Mommy's) money.  Most have come about the sponsorship on merit, although Nationality is key to a major sponsor.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 02:11:17 PM »
I'm just glad to see Sauber get a life line. From what I'd been reading for the past week, I was afraid they were done for.

Jeri's quite right about most of the recent pay drivers. I'll keep my fingers crossed about this one. I know he's quite young, but so was Vettel when he got his first start.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »
Agreed on all counts Jeri.

My only concern is the guy's age.  Drivers in their very early 20s is alright by me, but 18 just strikes me as too young.  We'll have to see though.

Well, Alonso, Vettel and Kimi all had success at young ages.  Alguesuari did not.

I'd rather the drivers get some experience in the lower formulae under their belt.  I think part of what's missing from the current grid is a sense of paying dues.  The drivers seem to feel entitled, that they're on the grid because of their skill, not their hard work. 

I think the odd flip side of this is that the motorsport world is going to fill up with very young 'washed up' F1 drivers.  It used to be full of 'old' washed up F1 drivers.

For example, Mario Andretti can race at LeMans if he wants.  He's Mario Andretti.  But what about Alguasauri or Kobyashi?  Much younger men, and while not F1 winners, they are F1 veterans.  Can they show up and just expect a ride at LeMans?

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »
I'm more than aware of that Jeri ;).

None of them were eighteen when they made their F1 debuts though.  That's my point.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
I think the odd flip side of this is that the motorsport world is going to fill up with very young 'washed up' F1 drivers.  It used to be full of 'old' washed up F1 drivers.

For example, Mario Andretti can race at LeMans if he wants.  He's Mario Andretti.  But what about Alguasauri or Kobyashi?  Much younger men, and while not F1 winners, they are F1 veterans.  Can they show up and just expect a ride at LeMans?

Kobayashi did show up, expected a ride at Le Mans and got it. Alguersuari probably could if he'd wanted to. (Grosjean and Maldonado couldn't though - they have the wrong skillset for that discipline). Sportscars has a huge number of seats, so all the "washouts" would have plenty of space. It's already reached the point where some joke that F1 is WEC's (the series that includes Le Mans as a points-scoring round) feeder series, due to the amount of improvement drivers appear to make when they switch to WEC.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 12:41:06 PM »
Along those lines, Rubens Barrichello will be driving a Grand Am Daytona "Prototype" for Doran Racing at Indy Friday, 26 July.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130724/grand_am/130729932#ixzz2a3YylkmF

I'm still surprised that Trulli isn't racing sports cars.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle