collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 587
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Enjoy lap from 2014 Mercesdes F1 V6  (Read 8977 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Enjoy lap from 2014 Mercesdes F1 V6
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »
NASCAR's growth as a major national sport is widely accepted to have started with the 1979 Daytona 500. Indy car rating began there drop just about the same time. NASCAR passed CART in popularity in the early eighties and never looked back.

American racing fans have no more interest in watching turbos than American drivers have in buying them. IndyCar is dooming itself to go the way of the Olds Jetfire and Merkur XR4Ti.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2013, 02:54:20 AM »
Which doesn't explain why NASCAR and the NHRA are slipping in the TV ratings and looking at increasingly empty bleachers, despite running big noisy V8s.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
Both are using that ridiculous "Race to the Chase to the Cup for the Thing" format where they throw out the first part of the season, and many teams, and start over for the last part of the season.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »
Outstanding ride, Monty!
I only posted the vid because I knew I would get great comments from contributors on GP Wiz. Let's face it, for people like us - It is fast, noisy, and has a big capacity motor - what's not to like?  ;)
Here is another picture of it parked outside my house  :P

Online Jericoke

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »
NASCAR's growth as a major national sport is widely accepted to have started with the 1979 Daytona 500. Indy car rating began there drop just about the same time. NASCAR passed CART in popularity in the early eighties and never looked back.

American racing fans have no more interest in watching turbos than American drivers have in buying them. IndyCar is dooming itself to go the way of the Olds Jetfire and Merkur XR4Ti.

My mom had the XR4Ti.

It was a nice car, my parents loved driving it (alas, she traded it for a Mercury Sable before I got my driver's liscence)

I didn't know what the difference between turbo and super chargers was at the time.  I just liked the double wing, the 60/40 split seats, retractable moonroof and a joystick for controlling the stereo.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »
Outstanding ride, Monty!
I only posted the vid because I knew I would get great comments from contributors on GP Wiz. Let's face it, for people like us - It is fast, noisy, and has a big capacity motor - what's not to like?  ;)
Here is another picture of it parked outside my house  :P

Looks more like the building where you pay speeding fines Monty.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2013, 09:15:06 PM »
The XR4Ti would have been great if Ford hadn't been going through one of it's turbo tantrums at the time. That 140 cid sohc 4 was a fine little engine. I built a number of race cars around them. Ford would stick those stinking turbos on them and put them in otherwise great cars (XR4Ti, Mustang SVO, T-Bird Turbo Coupe, Cougar XR7). The only thing those cars were good for was to buy them cheap once the engine blew and swap a real powerplant into them.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »
I saw a few XR4Ti's during trips to the US but hadn't realised that they were different to the UK Sierra XR4i which used the 2.8 fuel injected V6. I guess using the 4 cylinder engine with a turbo provided lower weight and better balance than the iron V6 used in the UK.
I have to agree with Jeri that the double wing was fairly spectacular for the time but the UK Sierra only became a serious 'performance' car when they produced the Cosworth versions.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »
Now surely it will enrage Cossie, not only Ford tried to market 4 cylinder Turbo which is a sin in his eyes, but they refused to bring the car with Cosworth name. Jeez if Cossie could have managed  a Tommy-Gun, we know where he would have emptied it, of course in Ian's back, because he would have been so enraged, he would have thought Ian is the one who came up with such brilliant marketing plan. Lucky you Ian  :good:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Ian

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »
 :DD  :DD  I'll get you for that BD.  :tease:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Monty

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
If Cos never had the opportunity to drive a Sierra Cosworth I sympathise. I briefly had a Cosworth 500 Whaletail. What a car! However, if I remember correctly it had an enormous Turbo to create that awesome power. Sorry Cos!  :DD

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »

All the Sierra RS Cosworth cars had turbos.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle