collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 595
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren would consider taking Kimi Raikkonen back from F1 rivals Lotus  (Read 998 times)

Offline Dare

I hope Kimi stays at Lotus and has the
car to win it all next year

The Guardian, Tuesday 27 August 2013 12.57 EDT

Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen was at McLaren from 2002 to 2006
The Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen drove for McLaren in F1 from 2002 to 2006. Photograph: Tom Gandolfini/AFP/Getty Images
McLaren have hinted they may yet make a move for Kimi Raikkonen after failing to sign him last year. Martin Whitmarsh claims the Finn is "determined" to leave Lotus, a comment that is unlikely to please the McLaren team principal's counterpart at the Enstone-based team, Eric Boullier.

Whitmarsh does not feel Raikkonen will get his way and has also suggested McLaren's driver pairing for next season will be unchanged, with Jenson Button alongside the young Mexican Sergio Pérez.

Conceding to being "a big fan" of Raikkonen, who drove for McLaren from 2002-2006, Whitmarsh has not entirely dismissed the idea of the 33-year-old returning to Woking.

Asked by formula1.com whether he had ever considered luring Raikkonen back to McLaren, Whitmarsh said: "Yes, we have. I probably shouldn't be but I'm completely open. Last year we had talks with him but for various reasons it didn't happen. This year we've had no talks – yet.

"Kimi is determined to go somewhere else and I sense he will not succeed in that goal, so let's see how he gets on there. We are not talking to Kimi at the moment, so let's see what happens in the drivers' market."

Whitmarsh said McLaren owe it to Button and Pérez to continue for another year after failing them this season with a car that has been off the pace. "We haven't given our drivers the car we should have done this year but they've been fantastic ambassadors and I think they deserve another go with us next year."

Michelin have confirmed they would be interested in a return to Formula One but only under certain conditions. The tyre company's director of motor sport Pascal Couasnon has, though, dismissed reports that he was due for an imminent meeting with the F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone to discuss the possibility of a comeback.

And Couasnon has stated Michelin would only return as long as F1 diverted away from the situation Pirelli has found itself in, where it has had to develop quickly degrading tyres to improve the show.

Speaking to Le Figaro, Couasnon said: "I guarantee I have not scheduled any meetings with Bernie Ecclestone. I hardly know the world of F1 but all of these people depend on each other.

"If negotiations were to begin, we would lead them to the FIA, Bernie Ecclestone and the teams. We have already sent [to the FIA] the same information as we've made public, so our position is known to all. If the FIA agreed to negotiate a different way of using tyres in F1, then perhaps we are ready to talk."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: McLaren would consider taking Kimi Raikkonen back from F1 rivals Lotus
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »
Everybody is turning it up so Kimi can sign a bigger contract?

I'm still confused.  Why would Kimi leave Lotus to go anywhere but RBR?   :confused: :confused:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »

So who's seat is kimi supposed to slot into at Macca?  :confused:

Jenson has done enough with a rubbish car to be retained and Perez's backers are reckoned to be the main sponsor next year at McLaren, could this be why there have been no talks this year?  ;)

Seems to me many of the big team spokesmen are really bigging up Kimi without actually having any interest in signing him, - I think they call that gamesmanship.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
I think Kimi is worried that Lotus don't have the resources to properly develop a totally new package. Next year's cars will be quite different in several ways besides the powerplants and he wants to give himself a shot at a more innovative team. If he can find one.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle