collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 211
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Horner wants the fans to stop booing  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Scott

Horner wants the fans to stop booing
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
...for Vettel.  Not fair, not fair!  'Unsporting' he even said. 

"He is a great kid. He has a great sense of humour. He has a big heart at the end of the day."  ...  maybe he should work on that big heart in the middle of the day, like around 3-4pm UK time when he has a rather small heart, but a big ego?

Horner goes on to explain "When you have a guy who is becoming almost a serial winner, it becomes like when people watched Mohammed Ali, they wanted to see who would beat him.

That is the case at the moment; people want to see who is going to beat Sebastian.  So, when he keeps winning, it isn't the most popular result."

He's pretty much summed it up in the last paragraph, so what is it he doesn't get?  Schumacher was boo'd during some podiums after Austria, and that wasn't even certainly his call to have Rubens give the win.  He was boo'd a bit after that too. 

Maybe the fans just need a sign that Vettel really IS sorry for what he did in Malaysia.  Until then, perhaps the fans don't think Vettel has been properly punished?  I dunno, I couldn't really care a less.  It doesn't take away from my viewing experience. 

I agree that Vettel seems like a fairly nice guy, and with a good sense of humour, but you can't joke around for the cameras and then be a jerk a lot of the rest of the time.  In my opinion Vettel NEVER gave Webber any respect, right from the beginning.  No idea why that happened when he moved from STR to RBR, but there was an instant frost, and Vettel immediately moved into anti-Webber mode.  Perhaps if he realized that he was being such a jerk to possibly the most liked F1 driver on the grid, he might have realized that there would be some fan backlash.  Live and learn.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110089

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: Horner wants the fans to stop booing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »
Indeed, Vettel needs to give people something to cheer about.

Finishing 30 seconds ahead of #2... never having to make a pass after the first corner... never having to even fight off another car... making pitstops with enough cushion to remain first...  there's just nothing exciting about what Vettel does.  Nothing for the fans to cheer about.

It's like an accountant adding up all the numbers right.  It's a great job, and well done, but no one pays to see that.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:35:15 PM »
Good idea...why doesn't he try to pop off his front wing on the first corner next race and win from the back.  Or crash out in Q1 and start from the back.  He'll have people screaming only praise. 

Bernie, you listening?  Might actually bring some excitement back to a season that is quickly resembling an afternoon nap.

Maybe it's time to revisit the reverse grid argument, but give 5 points extra for Poling in Q.   :DntKnw:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:36:48 PM by scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:46:11 PM »
I was a fan of his until the Sepang Back-Stab. May if, instead of booing, they all just chanted "Webber, Webber!" he might get the idea.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 06:11:28 PM »
Good idea...why doesn't he try to pop off his front wing on the first corner next race and win from the back.  Or crash out in Q1 and start from the back.  He'll have people screaming only praise. 

Bernie, you listening?  Might actually bring some excitement back to a season that is quickly resembling an afternoon nap.

Maybe it's time to revisit the reverse grid argument, but give 5 points extra for Poling in Q.   :DntKnw:

My suggestion is to run a reversed grid, and then score points for passing.  (Also eliminates the blue flag 'problem'.  Also allows for riskier moves, as if you crash out with enough passes, you can still win!  They'd have to fine tune the rules about team orders and blocking, but the FIA loves fine tuning rules.)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »

I want Red Bull and Seb to stop winning every bloody race. ;)  We can't always get what we want Christian.  :P

The paying audience decides on how they greet a Star's performance, not the Star's management. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
I think Vettel's winning is not the issue, its the fact that fan are trying to show displeasure to the back-stabbing Seb, as Cossie pointed out.

If you have produced a car that fast, without infringing the rules, you are a winner. As simple as that, if anybody cannot find any regulation issue with Red Bull, you have to agree they have been a worthy winner. If you have to boo, you should be booing the other teams, for not taking the race to them, for surrendering so easily.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle