collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 274
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Draft 21 race 2014 F1 calendar released  (Read 2678 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Draft 21 race 2014 F1 calendar released
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »

Oz stays as opener, no India or New Jersey & Korea may survive the cut.   

Obviously until World Motor Sport Council ratifies calendar it's still all up for grabs, but how much can it change really?

Proposed 2014 Calendar:

March 16 - Australia (Melbourne)
March 23 - Malaysia (Sepang)
April 6 - China (Shanghai)
April 13 – Korea* (Korea International Circuit)
April 27 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
May 11 – Spain (Barcelona)
May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)
June 8 – Canada (Montreal)
June 22 – Austria (Red Bull Ring)
July 6 – Britain (Silverstone)
July 20 – Germany (Hockenheim)
July 27 – Hungary (Budapest)
August 24 – Belgium (Spa)
September 7 – Italy (Monza)
September 21 – Singapore (Marina Bay)
October 5 - Japan (Suzuka)
October 19 – Russia* (Sochi)
October 26 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)
November 9 – Mexico* (Mexico City)
November 16 – USA (Circuit of the Americas)
November 30 – Brazil (Interlagos)

*subject to confirmation of track and/or contract with FOM
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:57:08 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Draft 21 race 2014 F1 calendar released
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »
I'm amazed Russia is on there as it had missed compulsory FIA deadlines.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:57:28 PM »
Both Russia and Mexico have the *subject to trainload of cash arriving at Bernie's place confirmation of track and/or contract with FOM.

I'm not really surprised to see that Korea got the same notation. I wonder if that's why they were moved from late summer to early spring. From what I've heard, the temperature in Korea that time of year is a bit chilly for a race.

New Jersey is MIA, too.  :yahoo: Sadly, Texas isn't.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:01:18 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:50:18 PM »

Sorry to cut short your joy Cossie but Bernie said in an interview with Martin Brundle, on Sky TV, when questioned about New Jersey not being on the draft list;  (a) he never released the draft list (b) the proposed calendar to the FIA contains 22 races.  :confused:  So make of that what you will.  :crazy: 

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »
As most of us aren't lucky enough to see
the races in person so what'sit matter where
there at,the more the merrier.F1 racing into
December[almost] :good:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »
I think it matters a great deal. Is there anybody who wouldn't rather watch F1 cars race at Watkins Glen rather than in the Caesar's Palace Parking Lot? Monza rather than a cobbled together street circuit in Rome? Spa rather than a sewage farm in New Jersey? There are far, far too many great venues without races to waste the few available dates on horrible tracks with pretty buildings in the distance.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
Watkins Glen would have the same problem it's always had, it's literally in the middle of nowhere, though I've been there and love it. Ditto for Road America. Mid Ohio and Laguna are a little better, but all of them have the same real problem, no money. Aside from from filling the Dwarf's pockets with gold, it would take a hundred million dollars to bring any of them up to F1 spec. Indy has the facility, but they are smart enough to refuse to let Bernie drive them to bankruptcy just for the privilege of hosting an F1 race. F1 ain't going there till Bernie changes his business model, and we all know how likely that is.
Lonny

Offline Philbe

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 09:04:35 PM »
In these days of suposed cost cutting in F1, one would think that they would do all the Americas races together, Europe together and Asia/middle east.  Seems like a huge expense.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
Wonder if Bernie doesn't care - Bernie Air does the fly-away transport, and he probably bills the FOM (owned by CVC).  This way he gets more $$$ for his private company.  Just guessing...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »
The whole cost-cutting / green technology thing in F1 can only be driven by the teams. If they want to spend less they must fight Bernie, effectively. Not easy while he's alive.

CVC / Bernie might occasionally pay lip service to cost-cutting, but there will always be rich people in the world willing to fund an F1 team, so I doubt they really care if the odd team goes under, or has to sell a major stake to keep on racing.

I'd be surprised if Korea stayed on the calendar, but I hope Russia and Mexico make an appearance.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »
 :DD :DD Every time I read that title, my mind says 'Daft 21 race 2014 calendar released'...until my mind corrects me.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »
Considering some of the venues Scott, that's an appropriate trick of the eye ;).

It would be great if they did revive the Mexican Grand Prix at the Hermanos Rodríguez circuit.  They'd have to ensure that they preserve the challenging nature of the track though, and keep the gravel traps.  Now that would be entertaining :D.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »
Actually I think it's daft for the same reason Phil does.  Why fly all over the place, back and forth when you could just plan the schedule as you spin the globe.  Talk about taking stress off the teams (as someone here has mentioned, the teams are away so long and working so hard  ;) ;) ), plan a sensible travel schedule and save time and money.  And yes, it is still nice in the autumn in Canada, so you could in fact have Canada, US, Mexico and Brasil all in the same 5-6 week period.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 11:38:25 AM »

I'm not sure I agree with having all the races in same continent at the same period of the year. For me it could turn it into Asian, European and then American championships. Also the truly worldwide following may be lost as attention in each region stays only as long as it takes for the caravans to pass through.

A more pressing matter to a 21/22 race calendar appears to be the new engines for 2014, it's going to be hard enough making the 5 power units allowed complete 20 races without adding more. No one quite knows how the longevity of the new units will pan out, given all the new tech, so any extra may prove a race too far. Rumours suggest at least one engine maker has raised the issue with the FIA.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle