collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 366
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Views on the Monza GP  (Read 5759 times)

Offline Alonsofan

Views on the Monza GP
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »
All in all I thought it was a boring race with the exception of some forced overtaking from Lewis. Unfortunately the Red Bull car is just too quick, shame it is driven by the most annoying, luckiest and spoilt man in F1 and not the most talented ;)

Anyway :

Thumbs up  :good:

Vettel - -Boring, best car, but did the job
Fernando - Again did all he could with his machinery
Lewis/Kimi - Same comment for both, some good overtaking

Thumbs down

Lewis - (yes you are in both) You messed it up in qualifying. You were the only man who could have beaten Vettel today  >:D
Di Resta - Unusual, but oops (Very honest though)

Offline Ian

Re: Views on the Monza GP
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »
 :good: Up for Hulkenberg too, great race for him.

Zero for the Tiffosi, I don't particularly like Vettel, but he deserved better than boos for a faultless drive.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:17:09 PM »
I would say thumbs up for Massa but why does
he wait till he thinks he needs a good result to
perform?So thumbs down and look for a new
seat next year.

I found it telling in a Massa interview where before
he had said if he couldn't drive for Ferrari he said
he'd quit,now he says he has other options.I think he knows
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

vintly

Views on the Monza GP
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »
Red Bull / Vettel are in another league, impressive whatever you think of him. Nice to see Mark on the podium, but given the car he has, Webber should be doing that every race.

Ricciardo showed his worth today, good timing. Maybe that boyish grin belies a gritty competitor. If be grins like that in a Toro Rosso I can't wait to see him in the no. 2 car.

Great pic tweeted by Webber earlier.

Agree with Ian about the tifosi. The 'attention' they give Vettel is hardly endearing, but very Italian. Superiority complexes always end in tears. I feel for Alonso - the car's not up to scratch, he drives faultlessly and has to be careful not to upset any prancing egos all the time. Will he really see out his retirement at Ferrari? Maybe, might not have a choice.

Lots of decent overtakes from the stricken Hammy and Kimi, generally a very clean race.

Worked for me, Monza rocks.

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
It speaks volumes about a person how they deal with success and failure.
The tifosi were not at their best as they booed Vettel on the podium. This is just poor judgement and bad manners. (Does anyone recall those....manners?)

By all means cheer for your man but still give appreciation to a job well done even if it is for another team.

Today's race was not exciting anywhere near the pointy end but some good racing and passing was had midfield. Sad about Hamilton and Raikkonen as they both could have taken a run at Vettel today but stopping so early pooched their days.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:39:24 PM »
I enjoyed the race. I think that, without the early puncture & radio problems, Hamilton might have overcome his poor quali & taken the race to Vettel.

Good weekend for Hulkenberg, too. Webber did a fair job to get on the podium in spite of a failing gearbox and damaged front wing.

I agree about Massa. I think he may be casting an eye toward WEC or IndyCar.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 11:57:49 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but I did not recognize the two men who came up to the podium to interview the winners.

Online Dare

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 12:16:08 AM »
Pardon my ignorance but I did not recognize the two men who came up to the podium to interview the winners.

John Surtees and Jean Alesi,both ex-Ferrari drivers
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 12:47:10 AM »
Okay....thanks Dare...being in Canada I would never recognize them as they would never have a picture of either of them in the Canadian or American media.

I'm not sure if the gentlemen were introduced but I could not hear over the loud booing for Vettel that drowned out everything.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 12:53:34 AM »

No sorry Willy I can't pardon your ignorance over Big John (Surtees).  :o
Jean Alesi though is far less memorable, even I had to think what his acheivments are - apart from being a Ferrari journeyman.  :D

Back to the race though.
Heroes :-  Webber, Hulkenberg and surprisingly for me 'Wrecker Roman'  :swoon:

Another good, if boring, day at the office :- Vettel, Alonso, Massa.

Zeros :- Ferrari strategists for poorly timed stops, McLaren tech heads for wrong gear choice and Pirelli for bringing rebadged Bridgestone tyres to the race. 
 - Oh and a special double zero for Brundle during Sky TV commentary, more than once he said the opposite of what was unfolding on the track.  ::) I was so fed up I had to switch to BBC; the last straw was when Brundle said the Hulk was unlucky to be held up stuck behind Kimi who was out of place due to early stop for damage, then we had a Sauber team radio message 20secs later telling Hulk to stay with Kimi as he was towing him towards the cars he's actually racing ahead.  :crazy:
Really Martin you should have mastered the timing screens by now, perhaps you're past it like Massa.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:04 AM »
I think you will continue to see Vettel booed everywhere. Not just because people don't like to see him win, but because he has become such a thoroughly dislikable  person. The epitome of the overbearing Teutonic ego maniac.
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:19 AM »
Willy,John didn't mention it but Surtees won WDC's
in F1 and motorcycle as well,not sure what the bike series
was called way back when a few of here were young men.

Online Dare

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 01:25:01 AM »
I think you will continue to see Vettel booed everywhere. Not just because people don't like to see him win, but because he has become such a thoroughly dislikable  person. The epitome of the overbearing Teutonic ego maniac.

What scares me is Vettel was once that smiling youngster
that Daniel is now,I hope he doesn't change

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 02:09:29 AM »
I quite enjoyed the race, though the DRS was pretty blatantly overdone. It would have been more exciting had the rain not been two hours late, but weather isn't in Bernie's control yet...

Heroes:

Hulkenberg - Wow. Great qualifying performance, and then came 5th in a race where both Red Bulls and both Ferraris finished. If Ferrari hasn't already asked him to join the Scuderia for 2014... ...it should.

Webber - For telling off the people who booed his team-mate. Note to Alonso: this is what a team player looks like.

Hamilton - Yes, his qualifying was poor and his race didn't go much better, but he blamed himself for it. Which is not only more than most drivers would do these days, but is pretty much a first for Lewis. Such character development is to be praised.

Zeroes:

The booers at the track - if it hadn't been for such strong competition in Spa and Hungary, this would have been the third time on the trot (I think they got mentioned in the British Grand Prix, but I mislaid that post). Booing isn't big, clever, classy or appropriate. If a driver's offended you that badly, save it for the fora and social networks, where it doesn't ruin other people's enjoyment of the podium!

Alonso - There is nothing genius-like in shouting at your team over the radio just because you can't keep up with a team-mate cadging a tow off a Red Bull. Oh, and then he hit Webber in the race.

di Resta - It was a real "no leaf clover" weekend. Crashed at Parabolica on Saturday morning, stuck in the middle of Q2 in qualifying (in fairness, Sutil didn't do much better) and then failing to heat up his tyres well enough... ...on the weekend when tyre thermal cameras were added to his car and proved it. I think Paul will just want to forget this one. Though he didn't blame the team this time, hence why he barely made the "zero" list.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:08:39 AM »
Dare, I know who John Surtees is and am aware of his championship achievements on two and four wheels.
But having said that, as mentioned, due to lack of coverage in North American media, I would not have known him if I passed him on the street.
European motorcycle and car racing has a very long and storied past that is still widely followed by a huge amount of the sporting public and media. Television, print, internet and radio media coverage of these events is varied and expected in all European countries.

Here in North America, if it ain't NASCAR, it ain't covered.

I could not even begin to tell you about a single motorcycle race that occurred in the past or is scheduled to occur over here in the near future. They just don't do it or cover it if it happens.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle