collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 556
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Indian GP : Heroes & Zeroes  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Irisado

Re: Indian GP : Heroes & Zeroes
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
For me, the stewards made absolutely the right decision to fine and reprimand Vettel, but you can read more on that in the thread dedicated to the subject should you wish to.

The race was as boring as I expected, especially after Alonso's wing was damaged, thus ending any hope that Vettel wouldn't win the title.  Still, at least that means everyone will stop talking about it for a while now, and we can just take each individual race on its merits, and focus on closer battles, such as the tussle between Ferrari and Mercedes for second, whether Sauber can catch Force India, and if Marussia can hold off Caterham for that vital tenth place in the championship.

Speaking of the latter, I predicted that battle was going to heat up, and sure enough another first lap collision which ended Van de Garde's race just shows how desperate each of those teams is becoming to beat the other.  Not that there were enough retirements for Caterham to get anywhere near that magic 13th place at this race.

Grosjean did a great job to get on the podium, while Webber was very unlucky, although I don't see how he could have beaten Vettel.  He would have finished second though.

Nothing else of any significance happened.  All the overtaking was pathetically easy, thanks to DRS.  The track is bland, has too much run off, and, worst of all, is far too wide.  It's really very ill conceived.

I'm delighted that it appears to be the end of the road for the Indian Grand Prix.  Formula 1 is not ready for India, and India is not ready for it.  The track is really poor, and the whole episode smacks of having been orchestrated for the benefit of a few wealthy businessmen, rather than as a sport to take to the wider public.  I'm glad that it's off the calendar, and I don't want that circuit to ever be used again.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »

I'm delighted that it appears to be the end of the road for the Indian Grand Prix.  Formula 1 is not ready for India, and India is not ready for it.  The track is really poor, and the whole episode smacks of having been orchestrated for the benefit of a few wealthy businessmen, rather than as a sport to take to the wider public.  I'm glad that it's off the calendar, and I don't want that circuit to ever be used again.

I could understand your anguish regarding this event, as leading up to this Grand Prix, with issue of taxation as well as the remarks that said to treat it as an entertainment not as sports, does subdue the whole atmosphere of celebrating motorsports profoundly.

But I do think there is enough fans to have a grand Prix, the audience could have been much wider if the promoters were able to shed off that negative publicity, as well as settle the tussle with government regarding the taxation issue. India is a big market for F1, that can generate much more revenues, but you have to do it in an Indian sort of way. The promoters should have been the mediator of a Win-Win relationship between FOM/Government, which they have failed till now. Hopefully it will improve a lot if it decides to continue the grand Prix in the Indian soil.

As for the track, I think the experts sums it up pretty wisely how challenging the track is in terms of running a perfect setup, with a little hint of Suzuka within it. I do agree superior aerodynamic packages of Red Bull does cause a kill-joy, but that is also true for Suzuka, so the blame should not be given entirely to the track lay-out. But I agree with you about the tons of Run-off areas, which really is curse for modern day F1 races, and looks like we have to live through it. Regarding easy overtaking has less to do with DRS, I guess more to do with making strategies work with these fragile tyres, resulting people not defending their places as if life depends upon it, rather they know how longer lasting rubber will have the final say of the outcome of the race.

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »
Many of the drivers and commentators remarked that India is not like most of the other point and shoot tracks.  There are some interesting curves that mimmick other famous turns and do them justice.  Sweeping curves, a couple hairpins and of course the ultra wide approach to turn one gives many different lines into the corner.  As a track, I quite like it.  I will miss India and hope it returns.  It is a tragedy when Bernie and the FOM make a country build a massive, multimillion dollar complex and then yank the race as soon as the first contract expires.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
I think that India is the best of the Tilke-dromes. Faint praise, I know, but true. It is a prime example of F1's current habit of taking races away from great venue with huge fan bases and putting them in places where nobody really cares.

The fact that the Indian government apparently doesn't consider F1 to be a sport should be enough to move the race elsewhere. Hopefully, not someplace like Sochi.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »

The fact that the Indian government apparently doesn't consider F1 to be a sport should be enough to move the race elsewhere. Hopefully, not someplace like Sochi.

Even Indianapolis had to start as an unknown venue at some stage Cos, if new tracks are never built motorsport in general will wither and die as protestors get more and more restrictions placed on established, even historic, tracks.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
I just can't see the track as being anything other than poor, sorry guys.  It looks just like other bland circuits (Austin, Bahrain, and Korea).  They all just look the same as far as I am concerned, and have no memorable corners or features.  Experts and drivers can talk about how challenging it is as much as they want, but there is no spectacle for me as a viewer.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Should new and unproven tracks get top level races as soon as they open? Let them run development and regional series for a few year. Then, if they prove themselves to have good racing and suitable fan support, talk to them about F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
Should new and unproven tracks get top level races as soon as they open? Let them run development and regional series for a few year. Then, if they prove themselves to have good racing and suitable fan support, talk to them about F1.

I suppose it's part of F1 trying to maintain its 'cutting edge' aspect.  It SHOULD be racing at new and exciting tracks*.  I can't imagine anyone paying the money to devlope a modern track with F1 amenties without the promise of bringing in F1 money and attention**.

With that said, of course F1 needs to keep in touch with its roots.  The fans that support the sport through thick and thin need to be kept... the balance between growth and stability is a tough one for sure.

*I'll grant not all 'new' tracks are 'exciting'.  But even F1 champs only win one out of two :)

**With that said, Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (previously known as Mosport), the site of the original Canadian Grand Prix near Toronto, is building a new circuit that meets FIA standards (the race was moved to Montreal because the original Mosport didn't meet FIA standards).  As far as I know, there is no promise of an F1 race, but my fingers are crossed.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »

Oh Cossie, they are being tested by FIA stewards, but not for racing, but for Champagne club, proper seating, nice accommodation, safety for the Paddock Club members and did I mentioned enough money to wet Bernie's beak? They don't bother about how exciting the racing would be, whether it will feature an exciting corner or not, whether there is any fan base for the motorsports or not.

It may used to work when you were shaking & baking young beautiful broads Cossie, but nowadays where there is money, there will be race, as you have said many times, even in the sewers of New Jersey.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle