collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 363
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Miserable FIA  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Ian

Miserable FIA
« on: October 27, 2013, 05:06:02 PM »
No sense of humour. Scroll to the bottom.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/10/15162.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:08:02 PM by Ian »

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

Re: Miserable FIA
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
In the Chat Room as it happened, we speculated on the FIA doing something like this. I said that it would be a really chicken sh*t thing to do even for the FIA. I stand by that statement.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
Stupid rule.  How 'bout this for a rule.  If someone wins the championship, they can do whatever they want to with their car to please the fans and celebrate said championship.  It is completely the responsibility of the FIA or its representatives to recover the car in whatever shape they can, including replacing the bloody steering wheel. >:D >:D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »
I think FIA just realized they could make money out it, because any driver winning a championship or any constructor winning the title wouldn't mind dish out 25 grand. So FIA gets to keep the money out of nowhere. Smart business plan if you ask me.

If you ask me I would have made it mandatory for the winning driver to make doughnuts in the lap, before returning to parc frame, failure to do so would have ended up being handed a reprimand. Unfortunately I don't run FIA or F1 show.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »
Stupid, stupid decision by the stewards to even get involved with making the ruling, sure donuts are technically against the rules - but then having all four wheels outside the track limits, especially lap upon lap, is against the rules, isn't it?  :confused:  ::)  Must be because no monetary penalty applies to exceeding track limits.   >:(

I guess with way the money grubbing FIA are progessing we can expect to see a new rule in the future requiring the podium drivers to pay for wasting the champagne, 1st €3k, 2nd €2k, 3rd €1k.  :P

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:32:51 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »
Maybe if Seb would have had all four wheels over the line when he did the donuts it would have been fine. It seemed like the stewards didn't care what happened out there.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
Vettel knew what the rules were.  He deserved to be fined, and deserved his reprimand.  Webber was reprimanded for a far less serious offence (in my opinion), so there was no way that Vettel should have been let off the hook.

Doing doughnuts like that was just unnecessary attention seeking, and then bowing down in front of his car just made him look silly.  He could have got out of his car, and showed his appreciation for it in the parc fermé.

Whether the rules in either the case of Webber or Vettel's actions are correct is a matter for debate, but consistency is very important, and based on the Webber decision, the stewards were right to reprimand Vettel.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:08:30 PM »
"The ruling, known as article 43.7, clearly states that upon deployment of the chequered flag, the winning competitor must “emit a small, distorted 'happy' sound” on the radio and then proceed directly to the parc fermé where they must “put on a large watch and engage in awkward small talk with the second and third placed competitors”. The regulation goes on to state that a victorious driver is required “to say that the team did a good job in a flat monotone voice".

Crucially, article 43.7 ends with the clear directive that victorious drivers “must show no human emotion whatsoever and must not engage in any post-race activities that may endear them to Formula 1 fans”.

To avoid any future confusion an FIA spokesman confirmed that for 2014 the article will be further clarified with the following: “drivers must not, under any circumstances, appear to enjoy their jobs at all”.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:11:46 PM by Wizzo »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:36:45 PM »
And they must not, under any circumstances, attempt to share any happiness with the fans.

Well said, Wizzo.  :good:

I kind of liked his bowing down to the car. Just a little acknowledgement on his part of the large role that Newey's creation played in his championship.
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 07:45:47 AM »

I kind of liked his bowing down to the car. Just a little acknowledgement on his part of the large role that Newey's creation played in his championship.

Exactly my point Cossie, not only that, doing that in a country where there is a culture of such to pay homage, that makes it a lot more appreciable.

When Sebastian did the doughnuts and said in the podium "Not going to happen today" sums up for me, and as I have said that before that is why Vettel was a hero for me in the race.

And I am sure Vettel bowing down in front of the car, after winning the championship will become an iconic image of modern F1, and I am so glad that it had happened.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:31:16 AM »
Can't remember his name, but there was a guy in NASCAR who used to do his victory lap the wrong way...which certainly surprised most everyone and could be considered pretty dangerous, but if I recall NASCAR let him do it without penalty because the fans loved it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
Alan Kulwicki. He called it his "Polish Victory Lap." It put the driver's side of the car towards the stands so that he could lean out and wave directly at the fans.

He was an owner/driver and won the Cup in 1992. Sadly he was killed in a plane crash in the spring of 1993.

Speaking of NASCAR, burnouts and donuts are de rigueur for race winners in that series.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 01:05:02 PM »

He could have done that in parc fermé.  Doing it in the way he did was just unnecessarily over-the-top attention seeking behaviour.

And I am sure Vettel bowing down in front of the car, after winning the championship will become an iconic image of modern F1, and I am so glad that it had happened.

I don't think that it will.  It's easily forgotten when compared to classic racing moments and duels from years gone by.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 01:46:58 PM »

He could have done that in parc fermé.  Doing it in the way he did was just unnecessarily over-the-top attention seeking behaviour.

:o  I think even unloved Seb is entitled to show off after winning his 4th title in a row, oh and the race.  :P 

There's also the old Maxim: "Might as well be hung for a sheep as a Lamb"  ;) He was going to be stuffed by the lame stupid FIA and their gutless stewards whatever he did. ::)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 02:06:09 PM »

I don't think that it will.  It's easily forgotten when compared to classic racing moments and duels from years gone by.

Attention seeking behaviour?

His sponsors must hate it when he attracts attention!

As for being an iconic image... it's hard to have a single photo demonstrate fantastic driving.  Having a driver bow down to his car really is a special image for F1.  I can't think of any other such image from any other series.  Who'd have thought that Vettel could bring something new to a sport with such a long history?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle