collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 364
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Miserable FIA  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Miserable FIA
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 05:09:12 PM »
The showboating was singularly the best thing Vettel has ever done! He knew it would get attention from the anti-enjoyment police and that he would get fined (he is probably clever enough to know that there would not be an on-track penalty) and he still went ahead with some impressive doughnuts. He actually did something for the crowd! One positive point from me (against the many negative points).
However, Mrs Monty made me smile - she said if it was Webber doing that they would disqualify the car for failing ride height!  :DD

Offline Ian

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
 :DD  :DD  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 11:11:09 PM »
:o  I think even unloved Seb is entitled to show off after winning his 4th title in a row, oh and the race.  :P

He's no more entitled to do so than any other driver :P.  Besides, the issue is not really to do with whether he was entitled to do it, whether it was right to do it, or even whether he's an attention seeking, immature show off (that's all just opinion).  The fact is that he broke the rules and has to pay the price.

We can debate whether the rules are right, that's fair enough, but in the interests of consistency, and for years the stewards were criticised for inconsistent decisions, they had to reprimand him to be consistent with having also reprimanded Webber for what a number of people thought was an over the top penalty.  This leads me to.....

There's also the old Maxim: "Might as well be hung for a sheep as a Lamb"  ;) He was going to be stuffed by the lame stupid FIA and their gutless stewards whatever he did. ::)

The stewards are there to apply the rules.  Blame the FIA for writing them if you wish, but don't blame the stewards for following the rulebook.

Attention seeking behaviour?

His sponsors must hate it when he attracts attention!

As for being an iconic image... it's hard to have a single photo demonstrate fantastic driving.  Having a driver bow down to his car really is a special image for F1.  I can't think of any other such image from any other series.  Who'd have thought that Vettel could bring something new to a sport with such a long history?

Actually, it's pretty easy to find photos which demonstrate fantastic driving.  Classic images, such as Mansell versus Senna on the pit straight at Cataluña in 1991, and Hakkinen's great pass on Schumacher at Les Combes in the closing stages of the 2000 Belgian Grand Prix spring immediately to mind as great racing photos which, in my opinion, are far more iconic than Vettel's piece of showing off.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »
Actually, it's pretty easy to find photos which demonstrate fantastic driving.  Classic images, such as Mansell versus Senna on the pit straight at Cataluña in 1991, and Hakkinen's great pass on Schumacher at Les Combes in the closing stages of the 2000 Belgian Grand Prix spring immediately to mind as great racing photos which, in my opinion, are far more iconic than Vettel's piece of showing off.

I can find THOUSANDS of pictures of two F1 cars beside each other on track.  They don't automatically represent superlative driving.

You're absolutely right that there are moments in F1 that surpass anything that Vettel has done.  But it's hard to sum them up into a single instant in time.

Sometimes a picture just captures the imagination in a way 'reality' can't.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 11:09:44 AM »
He's no more entitled to do so than any other driver

There are no other drivers who have won four WDCs in a row. If there ever is again, I hope they put on one hell of an on-track show after the race!

As for it being an iconic picture, I'll bet that Newey already has a very large print of it hanging on his wall.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »
He knew it would get attention from the anti-enjoyment police and that he would get fined.

The press it got, and is getting is worth far more than the fine.  Like Monty says, anyone who enforces a rule like that, when no harm done should really be called the 'anti-enjoyment police'.  I want consistent penalties for race infractions, I don't think the stewards should even be involved in anything that happens after the checker drops.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 03:42:59 AM »
+1  :good: :good: :good:
Lonny

vintly

Miserable FIA
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »
They had to fine, as those are the rules. They levied the minimum, considering the situation. I don't see Red Bull or the paddock making a fuss, what's the issue here?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »
It's just a very blatant example of the FIA's total disdain for the fans. The FIA brings nothing, absolutely nothing of value to motorsports. They only do damage and drain funds. The sooner some branch of the sport tells them to take a hike the better.

It could even bring money back into motorsports. For example, I'll bet I'm not the only person who would pay good money to drive the bulldozer that plows up those ridiculous FIA mandated chicanes on the Mulsanne  :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »
They had to fine, as those are the rules. They levied the minimum, considering the situation. I don't see Red Bull or the paddock making a fuss, what's the issue here?

I think most of us are questioning the rule itself, not the fact that they had to apply it.  First of all I don't think in the history of F1 that anyone has been injured during a victory lap, with donuts or not.  Why create the rule in the first place?  Secondly, the FIA's job is finished on the track as soon as the checker flies.  There really is no sporting reason to have them create or enforce a rule that takes place after the race has been run.  Spec the cars in Parc Ferme and that's it.  If a driver chooses to burn through a couple kg of rubber, or run out of gas because they want to do donuts, then fine them when the car doesn't spec.

vintly

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 03:08:32 PM »
It's not about injury, and there is a sporting reason.

I agree with the rule - the race isn't over with the chequered flag - cars and drivers have to be weighed. It wasn't long ago that ball-bearings were being subtly rolled into the exhausts by the team to get the weight of the car back up before it was weighed - so there has to be a very strict ruling about getting the cars back to parc fermé. Hence there had to be a fine, and considering the situation they made it the minimum. Fair play to them.

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »
Doing a few donuts and THEN driving to Parc Ferme gives the team no more opportunity to touch the car than driving it directly to Parc Ferme.  Of course I believe they need to strictly scrutinize the car and weigh the driver after the race (or weigh the car and scrutinize the driver  ;) ), and if doing the donuts used up enough rubber or fuel that it meant the car didn't pass weight or scrutiny, then Vettel could have DQ'd himself from the race altogether or at least picked up a grid penalty for the next race, so the risk was entirely his. 

Point being, don't make the rules spoil the show when they don't have to. 

Even though it's against the rules, somewhat dangerous and makes protecting the pit lane and equipment even that much more difficult, at Monza after the checker is waved and the cars make it back around to pit lane, the police and security step away and let the crowd surge onto the track.  It's just easier than trying to prevent it, and the fans LOVE it, not just those on the track, but I think on the TV as well.

vintly

Miserable FIA
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »
We did love it didn't we? The doughnuts? They were great! Everyone loved them. Super! And the only people whining seem to be online.

Sorry but I haven't heard ONE genuinely negative comment from anyone directly associated with the sport, because they respect the need for the ruling. £25K, nothing. No complaints, no spoiling, no nothin'.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 06:22:39 PM »
Because they don't dare. The FIA would be handing out grid penalties and fines like trick or treat candy.
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »

Sorry but I haven't heard ONE genuinely negative comment from anyone directly associated with the sport, because they respect the need for the ruling. £25K, nothing. No complaints, no spoiling, no nothin'.

Well Lewis for one has voiced his opinion.  Oh and Horner is not happy either, but then we'd expect that.

Lewis Hamilton was surprised when he heard that, after winning a fourth title in India last Sunday, Sebastian Vettel was penalised.

"He was reprimanded?" the Mercedes driver told reporters in Abu Dhabi, according to Brazil's Totalrace.

"Are you serious? That's crazy!"

Indeed, Vettel spent some of his first moments as a quadruple world champion in the FIA stewards office, because his celebratory 'donuts' broke the strict post-race parc ferme rules.

Red Bull was also fined EUR 25,000.

But "The fans loved it," Hamilton insisted. "It didn't hurt anyone, it wasn't dangerous -- I saw it on the screen and the fans were going crazy.

"It was very cool to see," he added.

Team boss Christian Horner said the FIA needs to rethink its strict rules.

"I think the stewards perhaps need to be empowered to give a little more leniency in extraordinary circumstances," he said in Abu Dhabi.

Grandprix.com, Fri 1st Nov.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle