collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 475
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kimi to miss final two F1 GP races  (Read 1471 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Kimi to miss final two F1 GP races
« on: November 10, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »
Pay dispute with Lotus gives chance to duck out & get back surgery early.       
Maybe Kimi & Nando can bond during rehab if Alonso's back needs medical attention as well.  :D
Hulk is also free for similar reasons, no not back pain  :D - money, but will he drive for Lotus in US and Brazil?

Kimi Raikkonen will not race in the United States or the season finale in Brazil it has been confirmed.

The Finnish driver will instead undergo back surgery earlier than planned, to ensure it doesn't impact on his preparations with Ferrari for 2014.

Raikkonen had suffered from back pain earlier in the season which almost ruled him out of competing in Singapore, but pain killers and some rest ensured he could take part.

That pain has flared up again according to his manager Steve Robertson who confirmed the news to Autosport.

"In an ideal world it would have been nice to finish the season with Lotus in the final two grands prix," he said.

"However, due to the severe pain that Kimi is having, sadly it is not possible."

Whether the real reason for him missing the final two races is in fact to do with his back isn't sure, after Raikkonen threatened to boycott the end of the season due to an ongoing pay dispute with Lotus.

That dispute has yet to be resolved and he is yet to be paid his £6.2 million ($10m) salary, though an investment deal with Quantum Motorsport - which is nearing completion - is expected to resolve the problem.

Lotus will now resort to using reserve driver and 2012 GP2 champion Davide Valsecchi or opt for another replacement, which could potentially see Nico Hulkenberg move to the team early.

The Sauber driver earlier terminated his contract with the Swiss team due to salary payments and is therefore free to leave the team when he wishes and is widely expected to be confirmed as Raikkonen's full-time replacement for 2014.

by TF1T Staff, f1times.co.uk, Today.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:19:56 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Kimi to miss final two F1 GP races
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
Wonder whose health care the operation will be under, Ferrari or Lotus? 

I find that really too bad.  Perhaps he does need back surgery, but it seemed to be in check the last few races, so considering his dispute with Lotus, I bet it has more to do with money and management than actual back pain.  That said, I have enough friends who have had to have back surgery, and the recovery time varies drastically, it is probably better he widen the window between now and the new season for a full recovery.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
Excellent news, more chance of Webber making the top three.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
I'm not surprised. Kimi is obviously fed up with Lotus, so why but himself through more pain? If Lotus can give Hulk a 2 race head start, it looks like a win-win.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
But will Hulk be allowed to go to Lotus early?  What reason would Sauber have to let him go when Lotus doesn't pay their bills (not as if Lotus will pay Sauber to hand him over 2 races early)?

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »
As John stated in the original post, Sauber hasn't been paying Nico, either.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »
I'm glad Kimi is taking the time to get his back fixed and be healthier as living on pain meds is not very healthy or good for the body long term.
This is also a convenient excuse to not have to race for Lotus as he had threatened before Abu Dabia due to not being paid as his contract states.
It begs the question: If Kimi has not been paid this season, how about Grosjean or the crew? Kimi probably has deep enough pockets to live for a while but what about the guys and girls who put the package together every day for the team?
Are they getting regular pay envelopes?
If not, why is this team still around?

Promises are useless in the grocery store.

No pay, no stay!

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »
As John stated in the original post, Sauber hasn't been paying Nico, either.

Oh, don't think I read down to the last paragraph.  Oops...

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
I find it funny that Kimi's back surgery has a
4 week recovery period,wouldn't that give
him enough time to rest and heal if he competed
in the final 2 races?

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/9019244/kimi-raikkonen-will-miss-the-austin-and-brazilian-gps-in-order-to-have-back-surgery
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »
Lotus would probably rather put the Quantum money in next year's car than in Kimi's wallet.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 03:01:27 PM »
I find it funny that Kimi's back surgery has a
4 week recovery period,wouldn't that give
him enough time to rest and heal if he competed
in the final 2 races?

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/9019244/kimi-raikkonen-will-miss-the-austin-and-brazilian-gps-in-order-to-have-back-surgery

Needs to be healed up for snowmobile racing season

Offline Irisado

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »
The timing seems convenient, but I don't want to be overly cynical, as it could well be necessary to do it now to prevent longer term damage.  Let's hope for a successful operation, for as much as Raikkonen isn't my favourite driver, I want him to be fit for next season, so that he can't use his back as an excuse for not being fast enough to beat Alonso :D.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle