collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 136
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11271 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Technique: Eight fixed gear ratios for 2014  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Dare

F1 Technique: Eight fixed gear ratios for 2014
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:23:19 AM »
Could make for some different winners,I hope

from Autosport

By René Fagnan,
View author's other articles
Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Formula 1 technical regulations will be changing dramatically next season, and that includes the gearboxes.

In Austin for the US Grand Prix, we discussed the matter with an F1 engineer.

Current gearboxes have 7 forward speeds, plus reverse. Next year, with the introduction of the new turbo hybrid V6 engines, the gearboxes will need to have 8 forward gears.

“That’s one more gear than this year because these will be fixed. Today, we have to homologate 32 gears and we select the seven we need for each race from that lot. Next year, we will have to use the same gear ratios whatever the track we race on,” said the engineer.

It will be like a standard road car where the gears are fixed.

“We will be allowed to make just one change to the ratios in 2014 because we may make mistakes in choosing them. We may be too long on certain tracks while too short on others. So we will be using the same gear ratios at Monaco, the slowest circuit of the season, and Monza, the fastest track,” he explained.

Changing gear ratios will become a thing of the past in F1.

The new regulations also specify that drivers will need to use a gearbox for six consecutive events, an increase from the current five.
By René Fagnan,

The Formula 1 technical regulations will be changing dramatically next season, and that includes the gearboxes.

In Austin for the US Grand Prix, we discussed the matter with an F1 engineer.

Current gearboxes have 7 forward speeds, plus reverse. Next year, with the introduction of the new turbo hybrid V6 engines, the gearboxes will need to have 8 forward gears.

“That’s one more gear than this year because these will be fixed. Today, we have to homologate 32 gears and we select the seven we need for each race from that lot. Next year, we will have to use the same gear ratios whatever the track we race on,” said the engineer.

“We will be allowed to make just one change to the ratios in 2014 because we may make mistakes in choosing them. We may be too long on certain tracks while too short on others. So we will be using the same gear ratios at Monaco, the slowest circuit of the season, and Monza, the fastest track,” he explained.

Changing gear ratios will become a thing of the past in F1.

The new regulations also specify that drivers will need to use a gearbox for six consecutive events, an increase from the current five.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: F1 Technique: Eight fixed gear ratios for 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 06:43:12 AM »
One more item specked, one less chance for a difference between cars.  :sick:
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
One more item specked, one less chance for a difference between cars.  :sick:

One more engineer loses his job at each team...seriously, I like to think that teams can make changes like that.  If they are deficient in aero or traction, some of them can make it up with a bit of gear ratio changes.  To me this only benefits the big teams with massive aero programs.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:16:48 PM »

Note to the FIA: Standard road cars are not single seat. They don't have open wheels. If we want to watch something like standard road cars, we can watch GTs. F1 is supposed to be about pure, thoroughbred racing cars. The idea of using the same gears for Monaco & Monza is insane. What a stupid, stupid rule!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
I don't like to use the expression 'artificial' passing because... there is nothing natural about motor racing...

...but it does sound like another way to make sure some cars get a chance to be competitive where they wouldn't have had one under the 'classic' rules.

I see this rule backfiring though:  yes, there will be different winners, but if the top teams are geared for different tracks, it's not like they'll be dicing it out on track each weekend, rather trading dominant weekends.

In terms of savings, I forsee further aero development at greater costs for another backfire.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
Another nail in the coffin for diversity in Formula 1.  These rules are a joke.  I'm disheartened even more than I already was.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 08:28:40 PM »
Another nail in the coffin for diversity in Formula 1.  These rules are a joke.  I'm disheartened even more than I already was.

Actually, it will encourage diversity.

Currently the teams get to choose a distinct gearing for each track. I find it unlikely that there's much variety amongst the gears the teams choose on any given weekend.

However, now that teams must choose which tracks to aim to do well at, you'll end up with cars that are best suited to slower tracks, and cars that are suited better to fast tracks.

If you want variety at any given race weekend, then this is a good rule.  (Unless all teams decide to aim for cars that do well at slow tracks instead of fast tracks, then we're pretty much at status quo)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
I'm not convinced.  I would really love it if you were to be proved right though :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »
IRL basically have the same cars yet the best teams
win year to year,the same will be for F1.No bucks
no Buck Rogers ;)
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
I will help the teams with simulator tremendously. But instead of making 32 homolagated ratios, will surely reduce the cost of this. Also I think it will limit the ability of the teams to improvise, specially if the rain is looming in the horizon.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle