collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Considers Permanent Driver Numbers.  (Read 13136 times)

Offline cosworth151

F1 Considers Permanent Driver Numbers.
« on: November 29, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »
F1 is considering assigning drivers permanent numbers throughout their careers. The WDC would still have the option of carrying #1. The report says that NASCAR and IndyCar do it that way. That's a mistake. The teams are assigned numbers, not the drivers. The only reason Jeff Gordon has always had #24 is that he's always raced for the same team. Dale Earnhardt Sr. didn't get his iconic #3 until he went to Hendrick. When he drove for Bud Moore Racing he carried that team's #15. (It still breaks my heart to see that number on one of Mikey's Toyotas   :sick:  )

I can't say that I care for the idea.

http://www.racer.com/f1-teams-pushing-for-permanent-numbers/article/323010/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY&spMailingID=7486064&spUserID=MjMyNjk2NjU2MQS2&spJobID=101014051&spReportId=MTAxMDE0MDUxS0

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: F1 Considers Permanent Driver Numbers.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

I'm with you on this one Cos.  The numbers in F1 matter little apart from denoting where the team finished last year and that should remain as far as I'm concerned. The actual numbers painted on the cars are meaningless as they cannot be made out by spectators either at the track or on TV, the teams don't want to give bigger space as they may lose sponsor revenue.

Leave it alone Jean, stop fiddling at the edges and sort out financial sustainability for the lower end teams.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »
Agree,leave it alone,peropd
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

vintly

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
I'm all for it. Posted about this last year sometime when something similar came up, but struggling to find it.

John you say the 'numbers in F1 matter little', and that they 'are meaningless as they cannot be made out by spectators'. Exactly - they're CURRENTLY a waste of space. Anyone who cares a jot knows the approximate positions of last year's WCC, and the champ is almost always No.1 so the current system of numbering (all the other) cars is irrelevant.

Colours for teams / numbers for drivers - it makes sense, and it WOULD enable fans to connect more with their driver. He's not just ann off-white helmet with a bit of orange and some logos in a blue and grey car with a load more logos - he's NUMBER 33 and always will be.

It works in other motor sport, and football, and basketball etc etc. It sells merchandise. Yes it would use up some precious advertising space, but it's easily argued that it would bring more fans to the sport, so comparatively it's a GOOD THING from an advertiser's point of view.

The numbers need fiddling with - we agree they are useless now right? What's wrong with this idea? Just because it's being tinkered with doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »
I agree that the numbers need to be legible by the fans. Without that, what difference would it make?

I can't think of a sport where the numbers belong to the players and not the teams. Besides the NASCAR examples I gave, IndyCar assigns numbers to the teams. (Foyt has 14, SFH has 67, etc.) A baseball example, A-Rod had to change from 3 to 13 when he went to the Yankees. The same for football, hockey and oterh stick & ball games

Changing the numbers actually increases merchandise sales. I used to have to buy new Jaguar gear every year to have the numbers correct. I've have the same Wood Brothers #21 gear for ages.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

vintly

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »
Iconic sporting non-team numbers: Rossi 46, Simoncelli (RIP) 58, Lorenzo 99, Wayne Gretzky 99 (also). In football (soccer) a number of clubs have retired a number altogether, after it has been worn by a particularly prominent player, including Maradonna's 10 at Napoli, and Raul's 7 at Shalke. The number is forever linked to that player, at least at that club and by their legions of supporters.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
Exactly why A-Rod couldn't have #3. It was worn by the great Babe Ruth. In my opinion, A-Rod couldn't carry Babe's gym bag, much less wear his number.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »
I agree that the numbers need to be legible by the fans. Without that, what difference would it make?

I can't think of a sport where the numbers belong to the players and not the teams. Besides the NASCAR examples I gave, IndyCar assigns numbers to the teams. (Foyt has 14, SFH has 67, etc.) A baseball example, A-Rod had to change from 3 to 13 when he went to the Yankees. The same for football, hockey and oterh stick & ball games

Changing the numbers actually increases merchandise sales. I used to have to buy new Jaguar gear every year to have the numbers correct. I've have the same Wood Brothers #21 gear for ages.  ;)

No, not hockey.  Only time a player has to switch their number is when they move to another team and that number is taken by a current player (who may give it up if the incoming player is a star), or like Vintly said, the number has been retired by the team.  Hockey players keep their numbers as long as they like.

I like the idea of assigning permanent numbers.  Then I don't feel like such a dolt when I have a Kimi 33 hat or whatever, if he moves teams he will at least still be Kimi 33, but with different colours/logos.  Still obvious who I am a fan of.  Yes, I guess that does mean it is better for merchandising, but as a hard core fan who has paid a fairly decent chunk of change on F1 and merchandise, I don't feel the need to be ripped off every time a driver changes teams.  I may by the new gear, but don't like to think I have to.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
Only time a player has to switch their number is when they move to another team

As I said, the number belongs to the team. Also, in those sports, each team can use every number. In racing,  only one team can use a number.

Exactly why A-Rod couldn't have #3. It was worn by the great Babe Ruth. In my opinion, A-Rod couldn't carry Babe's gym bag, much less wear his number.

I agree about A-Rod & the Babe. However, he couldn't use it when he went to the Yankees was because Derek Jeter was already using it (and already playing shortstop).
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »
The Yankees had quite a few numbers retired,I look for
Jeter to be added to the list too,A-rod no way

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/retired_numbers.jsp
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 11:22:26 PM »
How can you "retire" 8 twice and "retire" 3 and still let Jeter wear it? :confused:
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 11:24:44 PM »

Surely though if they keep retiring numbers eventually they'll have to be entirely into 3 digit numbers.  :crazy: 

Good old Lucky 107 doesn't really ring true now does it? :D 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »
How can you "retire" 8 twice and "retire" 3 and still let Jeter wear it? :confused:

Jeter is #2 Lonny.I can only guess Berra's #8 was  retired
before Dickey's.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »
Only time a player has to switch their number is when they move to another team

Bad Cos...you took my quote out of context (are you a journalist in your spare time or something  ;) ;) )

The rest of that sentence read and that number is taken by a current player (who may give it up if the incoming player is a star), or like Vintly said, the number has been retired by the team, which means of course the team has final say if the player can bring and use his own number, but again, in hockey, the players, especially if they are big enough stars, usually get their way.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »
With all the problems that F1 is currently facing (teams on the verge of bankrupcy, the ring master under threat of prison due to fraud, single car dominance, tyres that fall apart after 10 laps, etc.) why on earth are they worrying about the numbers????
And I respect Vintly's opinion but next year half the driver line up will either be unknown or with new teams so we will all be guessing who is who!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle