collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 530
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Considers Permanent Driver Numbers.  (Read 13303 times)

vintly

Re: F1 Considers Permanent Driver Numbers.
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »
Having drivers effectively pull numbers out of a hat as an alternative serves only to make the sport look ridiculous in my opinion.

Does MotoGP look ridiculous? The numbers associated with the drivers become part of their identity, part of their unique livery, part of them. It's worked for decades and no one has a problem with it - far from it. The numbers are championed by the fans and pundits alike, and serve to bolster and reinforce the individual persona of a competitor in a sport where helmets make everyone have the same damn look on their face. It helps!

Anyway, it's a GOOD THING that we have different opinions, but I'm not going to argue the point further. But, I'm so confident that I will offer a bet to all you naysayer number-dodging scaredey-cats. Ģ1 says individual numbers WILL come in. If you bet against me and win, I will pay you Ģ2. If you lose you pay me only Ģ1. WOW man this is big money how can you refuse I know I know start measuring up for a new pool in the yard.

* One bet per person, maximum number of bets at my discretion.
** Subject to Wizzo's approval.
*** Don't try this at home, do have a large cocktail.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 10:25:31 PM »
mmmmm sounds like Vintly is up for a bit of fun.

V can you please start a new thread in the 'members' area to discuss this further. Obviously this between yourself and anyone who chooses to partake in this friendly challenge.

Wiz
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

Does MotoGP look ridiculous? The numbers associated with the drivers become part of their identity, part of their unique livery, part of them. It's worked for decades and no one has a problem with it - far from it. The numbers are championed by the fans and pundits alike, and serve to bolster and reinforce the individual persona of a competitor in a sport where helmets make everyone have the same damn look on their face. It helps!

Each to his own.  MotoGP is quite different in a lot of respects other than just less wheels, there are no team orders for a start and there are clearly two classes in the field. There is also less money about in motorcycle racing than cars so each rider needs to monetise his own identity, this is much easier with permanent numbers and their lords & masters realise this.

In F1 there is much more tension about the earnings from a driver's image and activities, didn't Lewis refer to this as a reason to move to Merc. Most of F1 merchandising is team based, albeit with named drivers kit part of the equation, can't see driver owned permanent numbers sitting comfortably with team merchandising departments or their lawyers.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

vintly

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »
mmmmm sounds like Vintly is up for a bit of fun.

V can you please start a new thread in the 'members' area to discuss this further. Obviously this between yourself and anyone who chooses to partake in this friendly challenge.

Wiz

Will do Wizzo  :good:

Offline Scott

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 07:37:53 AM »
If that's true John, as usual, F1 can only see one side of the marketing possibilities.  From their pricing strategies - a famous salesman once said "Volume, Volume, Volume", but F1 can only see maximum profit for each sale.  Drop the pricing and give the team sponsors much wider exposure by getting more merchandise worn by fans.

Broadcast strategies - build an internet backbone by creating high quality internet streaming at a reasonable price, while denying those rights to the TV broadcasters in their TV negotiations...TV is sadly dying, at least how we get TV, so prepare for what comes next, which is going to be a form of PPV internet broadcasting.  F1 has their broadcast rights tied up so tightly by TV, that they are going to miss the boat when it all changes, and the big winners are going to be the broadcasters.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »
Actually, I think that Moto GP does look ridiculous with the numbering system that it uses.  Why should drivers always have the same number?  To me, it's illogical.  Numbers should be determined by championship position, not because a driver chooses it.

I disagree with all the arguments put forward about the current system being illogical.  It's very clear to explain once you remember that F1 is a team sport.  The system works very well when you bear that in mind.  The teams are allocated the numbers not the drivers, so the numbers belong to the cars.  The only exception to this is the number 1.

As for the idea that it's solely down to tradition that this format is being stuck to, that's not the case.  This numbering system has, as I said, only be in place since 1996.  That doesn't make it a traditional system.  Indeed, the traditional system was completely different, with most teams retaining the same numbers on their cars for year after year.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
Here's absolute proof that it's a very bad idea - Jean Todt likes it!

"I am very supportive of that," Jean Todt, the continuing FIA president, is quoted by France's L'Equipe. "I think it would be nice if the drivers keep the same race number, with the exception of the world champion who always displays the No. 1. When I watch a Grand Prix now, I cannot see the name or the number of the driver.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131209/f1/131209860#ixzz2n0tFppyn

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2013, 10:05:13 PM »

with the exception of the world champion who always displays the No. 1. When I watch a Grand Prix now, I cannot see the name or the number of the driver.

Why oh why do you let them keep changing their helmets then Mr President?   :P

Much easier to recognise them from their skidlids, as long as they remain constant of course.  :D

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »

with the exception of the world champion who always displays the No. 1. When I watch a Grand Prix now, I cannot see the name or the number of the driver.

Much easier to recognise them from their skidlids, as long as they remain constant of course.  :D

Are you suggesting they should be issued a helmet colour that cannot change throughout their career?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »

Are you suggesting they should be issued a helmet colour that cannot change throughout their career?

Nope, just no change during the season once it's begun.  ;)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »
Looks like we're lumbered with this idea too :(.

I'm really fed up, and the new season hasn't even started yet.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2013, 06:48:58 PM »
I'm not sure, social media is rife with people complaining about it.  I thought the Medal system was a given a couple years ago as well, but thankfully that was yanked at the last minute.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »
I'm not sure, social media is rife with people complaining about it.  I thought the Medal system was a given a couple years ago as well, but thankfully that was yanked at the last minute.

Still don't know why people are so attached to an arbitrary numbering system that is barely used.

I'd be surprised if there is a single post on all of GP Wizard referring to a driver, team or car by number, and only number.

Even if you don't like numbers for drivers, surely permanent numbers for teams makes sense.

vintly

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
Embrace the numbers. Unshackle yourself from these chains of resistance. There's nothing to be afraid of. Save your energy my friends, for issues of more import, and examine your hearts. You will find there, something special, something unique and something personal beyond compare. Not so dissimilar to a racing driver's number.

Let it be and rejoice!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »

You're right of course Vintly, there are far more things to worry about than having to think of drivers as mere numbers.  ;) 
When I watch MotoGP I never think there goes 93 passing 26 or 46 in pursuit of 99.  :crazy: I just know it's the factory Yamahas & Hondas giving it large, as usual at the front of things.  :D   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle