collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 542
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Whitmarsh off to Madrid to 'cough' look at some art...  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Scott

Whitmarsh off to Madrid to 'cough' look at some art...
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
Or perhaps to begin a rather painful negotiation process in order to bring Alonso on board for 2015. 

Seems to make sense, but could it mean that it is Button's make or break year?

http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/3213/9056538/Alonso-linked-with-McLaren-return

I hope we aren't talking about which backmarker team Jenson might sign or has already signed with at this time next year, but I suppose unless Magnussen really disappoints, we just may be having that conversation. 

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

Re: Whitmarsh off to Madrid to 'cough' look at some art...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:55:46 PM »
In hindsight Mclaren would have been better off
to cater to Alonso's whims and to have let  Lewis
walk.Alonso is still the best driver in F1 with Kimi a
close second[sorry Vint :-[]

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:14:03 AM »
In hindsight Mclaren would have been better off
to cater to Alonso's whims and to have let  Lewis
walk.Alonso is still the best driver in F1 with Kimi a
close second[sorry Vint :-[]

Yeah, that will be a decision they won't look back on with fondness, eh?  Agreed 100% about Alonso and Kimi (also sorry Vintly  ;) )
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:50:22 AM »
Hey! Never apologise to me again about this sort of thing d'ya hear?!

It's the eternal question isn't it? Watching Alonso take a sub-standard car to second in the championship again and again is emphatic at the very least, amazing. What we don't know is whether Vettel could have done the same. I think he would out-qualify Alonso in the same car, and make life less hard for himself, but I would wouldn't I?

At least Kimi and Alonso are in the same car next year. Right now, this is the most exciting thing about next year. I can't see any outcome of that other than a very p*ssed off Fernando. I'll give him until Silverstone to properly throw his toys out. Maybe Whitmarsh is pre-empting that.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:33:43 AM »

I'm not so sure that Nando is really a better driver than Lewis. This is the age old question about comparing performances in different cars. Because the car adds so much to the equation it's nigh impossible, IMHO, to really compare so directly.

All I can point too in Lewis' defence is his WDC the year after Nando left McLaren. Now I know this is not conclusive as had they remained teammates it's likely they would again have taken points off each other and let Massa into the title.

I would argue as well that Nando has had a better car than Lewis in most of the last 4 years, although I will admit Lewis was thrown by Jenson's performance in 2010 and never seemed to recover to be top dog at Macca.

This for me is similar to Nando's failure to dominate Lewis in his first season in F1, surely a seasoned experienced WDC should not have got sucked into the ballyhoo that took place. His failure to properly out class Lewis on track in 2007 puts a big question mark over Nando's credentials for me.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
Sure McLaren is ready pounce if it smells a tiny crack in the Alonso-Ferrari's love affair, which in my opinion is bound to happen.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle