collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 373
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pastor: 2013 was my best year in F1  (Read 2106 times)

Online Dare

Pastor: 2013 was my best year in F1
« on: December 09, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
Commenting on his last statement!No you don't
get stupid overnight,some master it early in life;
This guy really gets at my crawl

from PlanetF1

Picking up just a single point and being beaten by your rookie team-mate can't be considered a successful season, but Pastor Maldonado rates it as his best one in Formula One to date.

Having picked up 45 points in 2012 on the back of his maiden F1 race win at the Spanish Grand Prix, Maldonado and Williams were hoping to push on this year. However, it was another disappointing campaign for both as they struggled at the wrong end of the field.

The Venezuelan's only point this season was at the Hungarian GP while the less experienced Valtteri Bottas picked up four and also outqualified him 12-7.

Maldonado, though, is moving on next year as he has signed a contract with Lotus and he believes his 2013 season was his best as he proved he can learn from his mistakes.

"Thinking about the results and thinking about what I experienced in F1 for the past three years, I think this is my best year, even though the results are not there," he told Autosport.

"I learned a lot from all the mistakes, especially from a technical point of view, and I think I will help the team where I will be [Lotus] not to make the same mistakes. I feel experienced, I feel ready.

"I had so many good races this year with good pace, no penalties. I was in a good learning process.

"The speed was always there because even in my first year I was quicker than Rubens [Barrichello], who was very quick and very experienced. Still the speed is there, you don't get stupid overnight!

"I just need to have a good car, good support from the team and try to improve myself in every way."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Pastor: 2013 was my best year in F1
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:42:20 PM »
2013 was Pastor's best year in F1 purely because he managed to get a better team to take his petrochemical dollars. He seems to have got worse with every passing year. I have a horrible feeling Eric Boullier is in for a disappointment.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »
2013 was Pastor's best year in F1 purely because he managed to get a better team to take his petrochemical dollars. He seems to have got worse with every passing year. I have a horrible feeling Eric Boullier is in for a disappointment.

Not as long as the checks clear. Seriously, I feel that Lotus was forced to take Maldonado just to keep the doors open. As for his driving, they are most likely hoping for the best but preparing for a shunt filled season.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
I get why Pastor had to be the one who was taken - wages have to be paid and Eric didn't appear to have other options for paying them. I just get the impression from Eric's words that he's rather overestimated Pastor's abilities behind the wheel. Granted, it may be a deliberate overestimate for the camera's benefit, but that won't be much comfort if he ends up with a deficit at the end of 2014 again from Pastor not helping sufficiently with Constructor's Championship points (and thus with getting high prize money).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »

Not as long as the checks clear. Seriously, I feel that Lotus was forced to take Maldonado just to keep the doors open. As for his driving, they are most likely hoping for the best but preparing for a shunt filled season.

Enstone managed to get results out of Grosjean that very few expected.

Given that Maldonado IS a race winner, and seems to be open to learning how to race an F1 car despite that, there is room for him to impress at Enstone.

At this point, I'd give Maldonado the benefit of the doubt for 2014 that I didn't give Grosjean for 2013.

(I can't say that I'll be cheering for the guy... but you never know.)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
I think it was clear from Eric that the Hulk was his first choice and he had to go with Maldonado purely because of money, not dazzled by his way-ward ways of collecting shunts.

And I have a feeling the should be a life-time ban for two people in the paddock to talk in front of a mic, one being Pastor Maldonado other Niki Lauda  >:(
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:33:42 PM »
Maldonado may improve à la Grosjean, but I don't think so.  He has a very self-centred mindset, even for a Formula 1 driver, in the sense that collisions are never his fault, poor results are always down to the team, and he's always better than his team mate (his assertion about being quicker than Barrichello is open to question incidentally).

I just don't see him being able to deliver consistent performances regardless of the team he drives for.  He's just not able to get himself in the correct mindset often enough, and loves to point the finger at everyone else when things are not going well.  His season this year at Williams wasn't very good.  He seemed to have learnt very little to me, and I felt that most of his performances were inferior to those of last season.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »

Oh ye of little faith.  ::)  Many drivers have taken part in F1 and very many of the ever so fancied drivers never managed a single win.

Call me old fashioned but a race win in F1 is a very precious commodity and requires an indefinable skill by a driver to take any chance that comes his way to get one. There are no accidental race wins in F1 - except maybe in the crazy Monaco race where most of the cars ran out of fuel - you've still got to be in a position to cross the line first if a car in front falls by the wayside. 

A race winner starts at a different level in any team, the squad knows that given the chance this driver can take another one, winning is not only about car control per se it's also about managing the mental pressure as well.

I'm still backing Pastor to get another win or 2 in F1.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

vintly

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »

£10?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »

£10?

He He, nice try Vintly  ;) however I never bet on certainties.  :D 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

vintly

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:34:40 PM »

£10?

He He, nice try Vintly  ;) however I never bet on certainties.  :D

:D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle