collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 598
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Double Points for the Final Round.  (Read 4074 times)

Offline PG_Gabriel

Double Points for the Final Round.
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »

Offline Irisado

Re: Double Points for the Final Round.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »
I was just about to post the same thing :P :D!

I also agree with you.  This is a terrible idea.  Formula 1 doesn't need any more stupid changes.  It needs rule changes to make aero less important, mechanical grip more important, and then all these silly things like DRS, KERS, and tyres which wear out can just be binned.

I'm so disenchanted by this proposed rule change that if it goes through, together with the illogical numbering system, it might just be the end for me.  I've been waiting for too long for the FIA to actually sort Formula 1 out, and this is just making everything worse, not better.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline batman01

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »
Is this for real?!  :swoon: Why not let the drivers use banana peel which they can throw behind them to stop DRS overtakes? Terrible idea...  >:(

FYI, here is the rest of the changes. Looks like permanent numbers are really happening. http://www.fia.com/formula-one-regulation-changes

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:31:41 PM by batman01 »
"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job, because he will find an easy way to do it." -- Bill Gates

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
Another contrived twist.  I don't like it either.  I'd rather see leader ballast added  :sick:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »
Welcome to the Chase to the WDC. I hated the change at NASCAR, had they stuck to the original points, JJ would hace 2 fewer cups on the mantle. I hated it when the NHRA changed to the "Countdown", Ashley Force would be a funny car WC under the old rules. And I certainly hate this.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
numbers and extra points.If they were trying to
run off the remaining fans they couldn't do a
better frigging job.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »

comment from Autosport.com

Comment: verdict on Formula 1's new rules
By Edd Straw   Monday, December 9th 2013, 18:59 GMT

Today's announcement of a raft of rule changes to be introduced next season will fundamentally change the look of the 2014 season.

But what do they mean for F1?

Double points for season finale

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Abu Dhabi GP 2013

Never before in the history of the world championship has one race paid out more points than the others on the calendar. Next year, double points will be awarded for the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

The motivation for this will be to increase the chances of the world championship fight to go down the wire. Of course, that will have the side-effect of making the last race of the season a prized commodity for race organisers, which perhaps explains big-spending Abu Dhabi reclaiming the slot for next season.

This is a concern. It effectively means that bad luck will be doubly devastating for any driver suffering an engine failure or being wiped out by a wayward rival in the final race.

What's more, by the end of '14 it's expected that numerous competitors will be juggling all manner of grid penalties for exceeding the permitted five engines, which could further distort what happens in the last race.

Overall, this is a worrying move and could pave the way for other 'event' races being given extra points status either for sporting, or commercial reasons. It could also lead to the 'wrong' driver winning a title purely because of external circumstances.

While arguably good for the show, this is a step too far for F1.

Race numbers

The idea behind this move is simple. A driver carrying a race number throughout their F1 career is based upon a drive to have specific names associated with specific numbers.

Valentino Rossi's famous #46 in MotoGP is a great example of how a number can be a trademark, while in F1 Nigel Mansell's red #5 or Gilles Villeneuve's #27 became indelibly associated with them.

The world champion has the option to carry #1, while the rest will get their pick in world championship order. Presumably, these numbers will then be assigned to them for the duration of their career.

In principle, this isn't a bad idea. There are some details that would need to be ironed out, particularly when it comes to knowing exactly how long a driver is entitled to a number. Does a driver lose the right to their number if they drop out of F1 and have to adopt a new one on comeback?

Only the big guns will be able to become genuinely associated with a number. This is simply because few fans will be particularly bothered what the midfielders and tailenders are running.

Overall, this is a perfectly sensible change, provided the rules are well-written.

Cost cap

F1 is in the midst of a financial crisis. In principle, a budget cap is a great way to limit spending, but this stands or falls on the way it is policed.

The first priority will be to set the limit. Most likely, a relatively generous limit will be set initially, certainly higher than the £30/£40million mooted a few years ago.

Japanese GP start 2013

This will perhaps be attached to a glidepath that will lower the budgets in subsequent years to get spending down to a sustainable level whereby everyone can compete, afford to take the best available drivers and perhaps even make a little money for themselves!

Policing a budget cap, particularly when complicated companies are involved, is extremely difficult. Previously, certain teams have been very reluctant to open their books for auditing, and it will require serious investment for the rigorous analysis needed to ensure everyone plays ball.

This has been a massive problem in the past and perhaps could be again. For now, we have to reserve judgement, but the working group tasked with framing the regulations faces a very difficult job.

Good luck to them, because if workable budget caps can be brought in, it will be good news for F1.

Five-second penalties

One of the criticisms of penalties in F1 of late has been over their severity, with a drive-through the minimum applicable punishment.

A five-second penalty is a good way to tackle this. Ideally, some way to implement such a penalty needs to be found that does not leave cars out of position with a virtual race time to allow racing to continue as before.

This would require some kind of bespoke penalty lane, which would require a lot of work for circuits, so most likely it will just come down to a post-race time penalty.

It will appease those critics who think penalties are too harsh. But it will lead to drivers battling each other when they are five seconds ahead or pulling off overtaking manoeuvres when on a different part of the track.

Overall, this is a pragmatic rule and probably for the best.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline batman01

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 08:58:09 PM »
What if each team was allowed a double up (like the grid game). They are allowed to double their points in one race per season, and must say they will before FP1
"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job, because he will find an easy way to do it." -- Bill Gates

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »
F1 is trying to keep viewing figures from collapsing in a heap like they did this year.

The problem? The collapse happened after Spa, 5 races before the FIA declared the champion formally. You'd have to have a lot of double-pointed races, or a rather long Chase (proportionally longer than NASCAR's), to make the audience care long enough to even reach the start of the "augmented importance" races, let alone remain long enough to see a changed championship.

The real solution is to put some proper challenge back into F1. Don't think that's happening any time soon.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
So F1 gets its very own Race to the Chase to the Cup for the Thing. Lovely, just lovely. Can they please get the rotten FIA out of racing while there's still something left? Please?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »
Why not let the 10 top drivers spin a
wheel for points.

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »
Would someone please explain the phrase 'evolution not revolution' to the FIA. Every race series has evolved, most of them successfully. Why does F1 have to lurch from one ridiculous idea to another.  |-(
They are trying to pander to the normal Jo public, basically trying to get F1 watched on TV like football (sorry - for our American cousins; 'soccer'). In my opinion Motor Racing will only ever get followed by petrolheads and we just need good racing at good circuits.
In the UK, basic surveys have established that the TV viewing numbers dropped because of the coverage being moved to a pay channel (more people still watch the highlights on BBC than watch the live coverage on Sky). In other words (in the UK) they have alienated the Jo publics that were watching F1 by making it harder to access! Idiots like us will watch it anywhere (and complain about it later) but if they mess with it too much, even we will vote with our feet and move to other racing series (I already now consider BTCC as my favourite motor sport).

vintly

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »
Double points stoopid. Best thing that could happen would be for whoever is winning the championship at that point to get a one-two to emphasise what a silly idea it is.

Maybe soon it'll be like primary school games where everyone gets a prize. Yaaay! Clappy-clappy well done yay.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »
I think making the final round worth double points might lead to more desperate (illegal) moves to prevent someone from finishing. 

On the other hand, I think it is time Wizzo penned a letter to the FIA and FOM telling them to cease and desist with this plan as the principle of Double Up has been a feature of GPWizard for years and they did not ask permission to plagiarize that idea.  I believe GP Wizard is a copyright site.   |-( |-( 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »
Pathetic, bad enough that they've made Abu the last race insted of Brazil, this is just sickening.  >:D  :fool:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle