collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 485
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Michael Schumacher "hurt in skiing accident"  (Read 19383 times)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Michael Schumacher "hurt in skiing accident"
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
Report says he was probably going at around 60mph and without his helmet he would be dead. That's a lot of speed to hit a rock head first.

That's why I always wear my cycle helmet, my son might smirk, but I'd rather the helmet hit the road than my head.

The silver lining here is that ski helmet technology will probably improve quite quickly.  Schumacher always had the best protection when he was in an F1 car, and now I'm sure he'll have it when he hits the slopes again

Online cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 03:19:08 PM »
The Snell Foundation already has standards for skiing & snowboarding helmets.

The Snell Foundation was set up in the late 50's-early 60's. It is named for Harry Snell, a sports car racer who died back then as a result of a faulty helmet. They are a non-profit that rate helmet safety. Originally just for racing, they now rate helmets for cycling, equestrian events and other activities.

I bring this up because I always check for a Snell sticker in any helmet I buy, be it racing, motorcycle, bicycle or snowboard. That way I know the helmet will do its job.

http://www.smf.org/stds
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Ian

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
Seems journalists change their tune as much as polititians.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
Yeah, now the story is that he was going quite slow, but was on a slope that was a minefield of rocks.  Two operations now.  Hope he recovers.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 10:18:27 PM »
Totally disgusting, these people(?) have no respect at all.

http://www.news.nom.co/journalist-dressed-up-as-a-priest-in-7630912-news/

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 11:31:21 PM »
Being sort of a Lewis fan, I find it difficult why this picture denotes him as "Insensitive", "Arrogant". Can somebody explain please

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/lewis-hamilton-causes-uproar-among-f1-fans-after-posting-skiing-holiday-pictures-in-the-wake-of-michael-schumachers-accident-9032990.html
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Monty

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Being sort of a Lewis fan, I find it difficult why this picture denotes him as "Insensitive", "Arrogant". Can somebody explain please
Didn't you realise that when a celebrity has an accident the rule is that everyone else has to stop doing, talking about or acknowledging even the existence of, the circumstance of said accident! Obviously everyone stopped rallying when Robert Kubica crashed, none of the other F1 drivers rode their pushbikes when Webber broke his leg, etc.

Ludicrous!    :crazy:

Offline Monty

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »
Everyone knows my opinion of Schumacher the F1 driver but I should put on record that I am with the great majority in wishing him a full and speedy recovery. It was obviously just one of the those bizare accidents that can happen to anyone.
He is incredibly fit and and his family have the resources to ensure he gets the very best treatment; so fingers crossed.

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/lewis-hamilton-causes-uproar-among-f1-fans-after-posting-skiing-holiday-pictures-in-the-wake-of-michael-schumachers-accident-9032990.html

That's nuts.  Those pictures show Hamilton on snow shoes and cross country skis...essentially those sports are like walking or jogging. 

Alpine skiing is basically a controlled fall down a mountain. 

What is insensitive is any fan or journalist who could possibly link these pictures to Schumachers situation.  |-( |-(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »
Monty, you didn't need to put that on record, we all know your opinion of Schumi, but we also know that you wouldn't wish injury or worse on him.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »

That's nuts.  Those pictures show Hamilton on snow shoes and cross country skis...essentially those sports are like walking or jogging. 

Alpine skiing is basically a controlled fall down a mountain. 

What is insensitive is any fan or journalist who could possibly link these pictures to Schumachers situation.  |-( |-(

Indeed.  If anything, this shows that Lewis was taking time to have fun in the snow that DIDN'T involve hurtling at rocks.

It's simply not possible to get going fast enough to hurt yourself in snow shoes.  (If you've never gone snow shoeing, I recommend it.  Especially if you can go with people who have never been, and you enjoy laughing at them with them)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »
Fans are holding a silent vigil outside of the hospital in honor of Schumi's 45th birthday.

http://world.time.com/2014/01/03/michael-schumacher-turns-45-in-a-coma/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
I wonder what the prognosis for this type
of injury usually is?Maybe BD might know
a little on this.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

vintly

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
Good point - be interested to know if BD can shed more light on it.

From what I've read it varies wildly. Some people make an almost full recovery, some never wake up. Many have life-changing disabilities affecting movement, speech and general brain function. One report posits that he has approximately a 33% chance of a relatively normal life - eventually. Could be months before the extent of the damage is really known.

Our knowledge of how the brain works has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, but we still can't predict how brain lesions will manifest themselves for a recently injured person. Day-to-day monitoring and cross your fingers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle