collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 282
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16169 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13008 Posts
John S John S
11288 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Something up Lotus sleeve for new F1 car?  (Read 985 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Something up Lotus sleeve for new F1 car?
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »
Lopez drops hint when talking about money and ducking first test.       

He told F1times.co.uk:- "We are very satisfied with the development of our car," he said, "which will perhaps look a bit different from the others."

"We believe it is better to use the next few weeks in the wind tunnel, which will give us more [benefit] than one test on the track would."

Meanwhile he confirmed the team's finances are in order, despite giving up on the failed Quantum deal and even assured that Kimi Raikkonen had been "partly paid" and he "will get the rest soon."

Perhaps the real reason they are missing Jerez test is to keep the new car under wraps for as long as possible to stop others jumping on their bandwagon.  :DntKnw:  However it could all be a big bluff and they are just saving some dosh.  ;) 

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:15:28 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

Re: Something up Lotus sleeve for new F1 car?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:46 PM »
I think that it's a big bluff.  They may have some innovations, but a top team would only willingly miss a major test if there's a cash flow problem.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

vintly

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »
Ahem, Grosjean still at 50/1. That's 10/1 on half your stake even if he's 3rd in the WDC.

Ok ok I'll shut up.

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
Maybe this is why

NBCSports

Valsecchi: I have not yet been paid by Lotus

One wonders if Lotus test driver Davide Valsecchi may have triggered even more fears among Formula One observers about the team’s financial state after telling an Italian website that he has not been paid for his services from the 2013 season.

For his part, Valsecchi, who was passed over by Lotus as Kimi Raikkonen’s replacement for the final two races in favor of Heikki Kovalainen, has faith that the Enstone team will eventually pay.

“According to my contract, my salary was like that of a waiter. They haven’t paid me yet,” he said to F1Passion.it, noting that the team has “always behaved well towards [him].”

“I’m sure that as soon as they’ll be in a position to do so, they’ll solve their debt.”

Nonetheless, Valsecchi’s comments could be considered as coming at an inopportune time. With the Quantum saga still fresh on observers’ minds, everyone is keeping an eye on the competitive but underfunded team as the new season approaches.

As for what the future holds for Valsecchi personally, he told the Italian site that he currently doesn’t have any commitments lined up for 2014. He also noted that he’d be open to coming to the United States and racing in the IndyCar Series.

“For sure, if someone were to call me to race without asking me for money, I’d be ready to do it right away, but I’m not too worried about the situation,” he told F1 Passion. “And I won’t stop exerting myself to have a steering wheel in hand soon.

“In the meantime, I don’t conceal my desire to get into IndyCar. There is someone who gave me a hand, although in the U.S., I’m not as famous as here in Europe, where my achievements in GP2 are well known.”

After splitting his 2011 season between GP2 and a test role with Team Lotus (now known as Caterham), Valsecchi earned the 2012 GP2 championship prior to landing at Lotus as third driver for 2013.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »
...For sure, if someone were to call me to race without asking me for money, I’d be ready to do it right away...

Boy, that says it all, eh?  Teams in all sorts of series probably have phone centers looking around for drivers with money.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:27:51 AM »
Even for a layman like me can tell the difference between 4 days of testing, almost 1500 km of testing in an actual track with actual machine is far superior than putting your machine through windtunnel, where you will only have how the airfolw was through different end-plates, specially in a season where cooling system has been dubbed as the most critical part of the design  :fool: :fool:

Mr. Lopez, you should have come with better answers. I hope your engineers do another Herculean job of making a brilliant car, with not only limited budget but also with limited track-testing.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
I think that Enstone is still p*ssed that their double diffuser was rejected when Brawn's wasn't.

Everytime Enstone tries something new at testing, the other teams declare it illegal (perhaps rightly so, not the point here).  They might try to 'emulate' Brawn and only unveil their car at the last second, where disqualification would embarrass the FIA.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »
I think that Enstone is still p*ssed that their double diffuser was rejected when Brawn's wasn't.

Everytime Enstone tries something new at testing, the other teams declare it illegal (perhaps rightly so, not the point here).  They might try to 'emulate' Brawn and only unveil their car at the last second, where disqualification would embarrass the FIA.

Embarass FIA?? Can anyone possible do that? And also they have the authority to ban it anytime. And what about the probability of not-working out the parts, without testing??

Marussia in their first year, wanted to design the car with only CFD, and they had problem regarding hydraulics in their entire season. Lotus may have to face the same. What Brawn pulled off was spectacular, but it was not untested, because back then testing ban wasn't implied, which is not the case nowadays.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »

Embarass FIA?? Can anyone possible do that? And also they have the authority to ban it anytime. And what about the probability of not-working out the parts, without testing??

Marussia in their first year, wanted to design the car with only CFD, and they had problem regarding hydraulics in their entire season. Lotus may have to face the same. What Brawn pulled off was spectacular, but it was not untested, because back then testing ban wasn't implied, which is not the case nowadays.

I didn't say it was a good plan.

I just know that Enstone and RBR are the ones always taking risks, and that Enstone is the one always being told 'no'.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt of trying something 'new'.  If they want to get to the top of the sport with their budget, they have to take risks and try new things.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:07:35 PM »
I completely agree with you on that regard, that Enstone surely punches way above his head, and given their budget, still they pushed Mercedes & Ferrari, almost till the end to compete for that second place (It took a devilish plan from Ferrari to prevent them pushing till the end)

I really want to hope that they have something like that in their sleeve, and will bring out to have the last laugh, I really do wish that. If anyone in the grid can be termed as the over achiever, they deserve the title fair and square.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle