collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 338
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2014 Sauber Unveiled  (Read 3749 times)

Offline cosworth151

2014 Sauber Unveiled
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »
Sauber has unveiled its 2014 contender, the C33. As previously, the car uses a Ferrari power unit and gearbox. Sadly, it suffers from the dreaded "blank flanks," i.e. very few sponsor names on the sides.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140126/f1/140129840#ixzz2rbcwD55N

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

Re: 2014 Sauber Unveiled
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »
Nice big area for the driver number though Cos.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »
Monisha K. says there is no guarantee the team will be competitive this year, as their limited budget meant they had to take some guesses in the design that might not work as planned.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
That is a shame that Sauber is not optimistic about the season, even before the start of testing. I think she is being realistic, and after the horrendous start of the last year, I think she opted for a conservative approach about cars performance.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
Monisha K. says there is no guarantee the team will be competitive this year, as their limited budget meant they had to take some guesses in the design that might not work as planned.

I think most of the teams have had to take guesses, whether they are well funded or not, so that seems to be a bit of a cop out from Monisha.

No one ever got to the top step in F1 because people felt sorry for them.  :D 
Chance your arm - and a lot more besides - has always been the F1 way.  ;) 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 08:15:32 PM »

I think most of the teams have had to take guesses, whether they are well funded or not, so that seems to be a bit of a cop out from Monisha.

Well, some teams can afford to test out several configurations.. hedge their bets.

Running an F1 team is as much a PR exercise as an engineering one.  Sauber must figure that there's money in setting low expectations.  Not sure how that works, but I don't own an F1 team either.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
I hope Sauber has something up their sleeve, but they don't want everyone peering over to see what it is.  They've surprised before, you just never know. 

The blank flanks are unsettling though, I wish a local bank or pharma company would pick up their tab.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »

It's not a cop out in my view.

A midfield team like Sauber doesn't have the finances to take risks.  If they take the risks and they don't pay off it can spell the end for the team.  Only the top teams can take massive gambles, because they have the financial resources to rescue themselves in subsequent seasons if they suffer a total disaster.

The new Sauber looks like a fairly conservative car, but perhaps they'll be able to use that to pick up points through better reliability, assuming the top teams are going to push the boundaries more.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
Sauber has always been a midfield team, and under Peter Sauber's direction, they took risks in car design at least as often as any of the big teams. 

If Sauber is run like most Swiss companies, it is on a very solid financial base, with a relatively conservative amount of play money, so to speak.  So they can take risks without risking the company.  If Sauber ever finds itself in real trouble, you will see it withdraw from F1, but back out into another less costly series.  I seriously doubt you will ever see Sauber go bankrupt.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Sauber has always been a midfield team, and under Peter Sauber's direction, they took risks in car design at least as often as any of the big teams.

I can't think of many examples of Sauber pushing the boat out on car design (that's not a criticism).  Are there any specific examples that you have in mind?
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle