collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 124
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13026 Posts
John S John S
11301 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 not much faster than GP2  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Dare

F1 not much faster than GP2
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: F1 not much faster than GP2
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »
I think there's a fundamental problem with F1.  I think they're so busy trying to be everything to everyone, that they've lost site of simply being F1. 

It's not up to the FIA to pander to suppliers, fans, commercial interests.  Instead, it's up to the FIA to make F1 so good that the suppliers, fans and commercial interests are lining up to be part of F1.

True, F1 is nothing without them... but they're there because of what F1 is (or was).  Not what they want F1 to be.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
If the season is exciting complaints over speed will be quickly forgotten.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 06:08:38 AM »
Button reckons that by the end of the season the cars will as fast as last year's were.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
I think there's a fundamental problem with F1.  I think they're so busy trying to be everything to everyone, that they've lost site of simply being F1. 

It's not up to the FIA to pander to suppliers, fans, commercial interests.  Instead, it's up to the FIA to make F1 so good that the suppliers, fans and commercial interests are lining up to be part of F1.

True, F1 is nothing without them... but they're there because of what F1 is (or was).  Not what they want F1 to be.

I think you've nailed it, Jeri.  They've really lost sight of what their mandate should be.

Though I think some people would dispute your point about F1 is nothing without the FIA.  I think many people see it the other way around.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
I would be the first to say just the opposite. The FIA ruins everything it gets involved with.As proof, just look at the damage they have done since they took over sports Endurance racing a few years ago. The ACO's Le Mans series was tremendous. The FIA's GT Championship was a dismal flop. Somehow, the ACO let the FIA in. Now we have the WEC which, without The 12 Hours of Sebring, is just a bad joke.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »

I think you've nailed it, Jeri.  They've really lost sight of what their mandate should be.

Though I think some people would dispute your point about F1 is nothing without the FIA.  I think many people see it the other way around.

Sorry, the 'them' I referred to was suppliers, fans and commercial interests.

(Saying that F1 doesn't need the FIA would jut be repeating myself. 

I'm happy to do that though:  between FIA, FOM and FOTA, there are two too many organisations 'running' F1.  Ideally I'd like to see FOTA with full control, but I'd settle for FOM (Since FOM is an evolution of FOCA, which was basically FOTA of the 70s anyway))

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:27:33 PM »
First of all I would like to that, comparing times in the first test with last year's car are simply put NOT RIGHT. The teams were trying to get fastest laps or racing, they were just putting the cars in tracks for the first time. So let them give some time, and then try to bash them for lack of speed.

I still believe it is the pinnacle of motor-sports, as there is no other motor-sports that uses this much of sophisticated machinery. We may have our views about which way it should go, but there is no way one can argue that this machines are not state of the art technological wonders.

I have said many times earlier, Bernie is there to implement the profit generating module of CVC in short term basis, he does not have any long term plan. And also FIA is loosing its way of handling the regulation of sports as because its judgements are clouded by the profit-driving demand of Bernie. Replacing Bernie will not solve the problem, but finding a better solution for revenue sharing will be a great thing to start with.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 09:12:13 PM »

I'm happy to do that though:  between FIA, FOM and FOTA, there are two too many organisations 'running' F1.  Ideally I'd like to see FOTA with full control, but I'd settle for FOM (Since FOM is an evolution of FOCA, which was basically FOTA of the 70s anyway))

Sorry to disappoint you both but F1 and the FIA can't be separated. FOM runs the commercial interests of F1 under licence from the FIA. This obviously means the FIA owns F1 and ultimately holds all rights to it.

F1 could still exist without FOM/CVC if that organisation either went bust or breached the licence terms. However FOM,  the Paddock club and even FOTA would find it tough to exist without F1, which is why FOM are so litigious to keep full control of their highly lucrative contracted asset.

This was the big stumbling block to the manufacturers breakaway attempt a few years back - a new series could be regulated by the FIA - but crucially it could not be F1.  :nono: 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
          Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

So, they go back to calling it Grand Prix, much like before WW II. Just so the FIA is gone!  |-(
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 06:12:20 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you both but F1 and the FIA can't be separated. FOM runs the commercial interests of F1 under licence from the FIA. This obviously means the FIA owns F1 and ultimately holds all rights to it.

But they have no say for the next 90 years or so.  Who knows what will be around in 90 years, but I suppose combustion engines won't be.  The FIA can have what's left of their prized 'F1' back then. 

I thought Bernie actually owned the F1 name (ask Wizzo about this one, but I think he got a letter from the FOM, not the FIA).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »

I thought Bernie actually owned the F1 name (ask Wizzo about this one, but I think he got a letter from the FOM, not the FIA).

By proxy on account of the licence agreement FOM have the commercial rights to the name F1, I'm sure however the final ownership still rests with The FIA.

Ensuring no infringements of their licensed property is a pretty standard way for FOM to protect their money making asset. The FIA appears to have no pecuniary interest to guard in protecting FOM's commercial angle, making FOM get extra heavy on it's own behalf.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 04:50:35 PM »

F1 could still exist without FOM/CVC if that organisation either went bust or breached the licence terms. However FOM,  the Paddock club and even FOTA would find it tough to exist without F1, which is why FOM are so litigious to keep full control of their highly lucrative contracted asset.

This was the big stumbling block to the manufacturers breakaway attempt a few years back - a new series could be regulated by the FIA - but crucially it could not be F1.  :nono:

Wishful thinking need not take into account legal contracts!  (Or other aspects of reality for that matter.)

Maybe it's just a North American thing, but it seems absurd for an outside party to have any control over a sport at all.  Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, college sports, NASCAR and IndyCar all operate under their own umbrella.  They answer to no one (except the laws of the land that everyone else is subject to... and even baseball has exceptions there).  I understand that the FIA 'owns' F1, but the whole organisation of the sport seems silly to me.  If the FIA owns F1, why don't they operate F1?  If they don't want to operate F1, why do they bother to own it?  (Yes, I know, to make money, but if the FIA is being that crass, what do they bring to the sport?  Don't say 'rules'.  Anyone can write rules.)

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »
None of this is really a surprise.
Can any of us think about anything that is truly successful when it is controlled by a committee, especially an International Committee (many of the problems in the world are due to Committees being incapable of agreeing on anything!).
Motor racing is best when controlled by a enthusiastic dictator, and yes that does include Bernie when he was in his prime. Alan Gow has made BTCC the success that it is. Tony George. The individuals managing InFront Motor Sport (and now Dorna) control Superbikes. In all of these cases decision making is fast and always for the benefit of the sport and not political and personal gain. Unlike the FIA!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle