collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 612
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Should Vettel be applauded for opinion?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Scott

Should Vettel be applauded for opinion?
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »
Of course Horner thinks so.  I have no problem with him telling the world what he thinks about everything F1, but I think he lacks maturity and professionalism to do it properly.  No need to say the cars sound like sh*t, because I reality! they don't.  Choose your words a bit better Mr. Vettel, especially in front of a mic.  This is a family sport.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9241997/-Vettel-should-be-applauded-

Kids in Germanic Europe seem to have a real problem using English swear words in the correct context, and maybe that is his problem as well.  Too bad, because there are plenty of German swear words to choose from.

...however, I must say, I agree with him, though over the weekend I did hear a few cries of engines that gave me hope.  Maybe they just need to use more creativity when they place the microphones around the track.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

Re: Should Vettel be applauded for opinion?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:10 AM »
Most talking heads on TV these days are so scared of offending anyone that they never really give their opinion, this is highlighted when someone actually does. And a mild swear-word used as an adjective has zero malice, so I'm not offended, nor would I be if my kids heard it.

No need to applaud him, and he could have been a bit more inventive in his choice of words, but it's a nothing. Big deal.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »
It's not the point that I'm offended or not (or you).  The point is, some people may be.  I'm not for overweight political correctness police, but all I'm saying is plenty of drivers know how to behave in front of a mic when it comes to choosing their words, not for what they have to say.  For Vettel it seems to a theme, whether it's a podium ceremony, or trackside interview, he seems to get a kick out of it.  Kimi has been known to also swear...it's not just Vettel.

vintly

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:59:05 AM »
I can't argue with that, but I'm railing against a general over-sanitisation of pop-culture that irks me. So when someone shows their true colours, even if I don't like it, I'm glad to see it. A lot of sportsmen seem to forget who they are and just trot out the same sponsor-friendly politically correct tripe that they've been schooled to say for years, at the expense of being themselves. Some of them have forgotten who they are.

Agreed, it could become a theme, which would be a shame indeed, so that shouldn't happen. He needs to put a lid on it, he's certainly capable of better wit.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »

Nah  :stop: can't agree that it's Vettel's opinion, this is Red Bull line - with or without the swearing.  ;)

I think Jens sums up what I feel about Vettel's comment:

Jenson Button has told all those complaining about the new sound of F1 to "go and race something else."

Speaking ahead of round two in Malaysia, reigning World Champion Sebastian Vettel said it sounds "s**t."

Button, however, says if people are going to complain they should just leave.

Asked for his thoughts on the criticism, the McLaren driver said: "Go and race something else if you're not happy."

"As drivers we don't have an opinion where the cars are in terms of sound and feel."

"But when you cross the finish line first you've won a grand prix, so you don't care what the car sounds like or what it looks like."

"You've beaten the best in the world, and that's all you care about."

Courtesy, Planetf1.com, Thurs 27th March.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

vintly

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »
Button, however, says if people are going to complain they should just leave.

Er, a bit of an over-reaction Jenson (or skewed reporting - I don't know as haven't read the article or seen the clip). Because he's complained about the sound he should race somewhere else? I don't think so. I might not like the popcorn at my local cinema, doesn't mean I should boycott it for one with a smaller screen.

If Vettel had said 'I really don't like the noise, but it's irrelevant in terms of fighting for the championship', then Jenson wouldn't have had his little flap about it. Complaining about complaining eh Jens? This is about swearing, not complaining.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:40:49 PM »
I don't think so. I might not like the popcorn at my local cinema, doesn't mean I should boycott it for one with a smaller screen.

If Vettel had said 'I really don't like the noise, but it's irrelevant in terms of fighting for the championship', then Jenson wouldn't have had his little flap about it. Complaining about complaining eh Jens? This is about swearing, not complaining.

Excellent comparison.  And yes, lets keep this on topic  :DD :DD

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »
Kids in Germanic Europe seem to have a real problem using English swear words in the correct context, and maybe that is his problem as well.  Too bad, because there are plenty of German swear words to choose from.

Scott has an important point. Vettel speaks English very well, but it isn't his native language. This might simply be a mistaken usage on his part.

It reminds me of the grandfather of a childhood friend. He was a very good, churchgoing family man. But, when he first arrived in the States from his native Belgium, he learned English at his job in a steel mill. You can just imagine the words that he thought were polite conversation.

In any case, Seb is correct. That is exactly what the kitten cars sound like.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
Mind you, during a couple short visits to Birmingham, I would also add that some English youth have a hard time using english swear words in the correct context.  They seem to think F*cking is the only adjective out there.   ;) ;)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
No.  Vettel's immaturity regularly gets an outing.  This year's tally is already very unimpressive though, and we've only had two races.  He has made this comment about the engines, he has named his car yet again, and he has behaved like a spoilt brat on team radio during the Australian Grand Prix.

Whether swearing is offensive depends on the individual, but the fact that Formula 1 is a global sport (swearing is more offensive to some cultures than others as well individuals) means that he should, in my view, choose his words more carefully.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »
Mr. Jean Totd has sent his love to Sebastian and probably be meeting him, regarding his opinion about the noise. Speak your mind and you will be summoned by the principal. I thought they finished kindergarten long time ago :P

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27715.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=grandprixdotcom

P.S Just look how different he started to sound himself after he got the letter  :DD
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »
Still, as a native speaker of English (OK, Appalachian English  :P  ), I would be hard put to try and think of a more appropriate word to describe the mini-motors. Well, maybe I'd put an adjective starting with the letter F ahead of the S word.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 12:26:33 AM »
You get back what you give out in life.  If Vettel wants to behave like an adolescent schoolboy, then the powers that be will treat him like one.  I've no empathy with him whatsoever.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 06:54:57 AM »
Hear, hear!!

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good:
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle