collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: More Bad Press for F1  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Ian

Re: More Bad Press for F1
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 11:37:38 AM »
Like it Cos, yup, racing machines SHOULD be loud.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 02:12:33 PM »
Like it Cos, yup, racing machines SHOULD be loud.  :good:

You won't find one engineer who agrees with you.  To an engineer the sound of the engine is the sound of wasted energy.  A perfect race car should be silent, putting every bit of power into winning.  (Just as Chapman's perfect car fall apart on the finish line)

Offline Ian

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »
Engineers opinions don't interest me, I love the ear-shattering sound of a fully tuned racing machine.

vintly

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
You won't find one engineer who agrees with you.  To an engineer the sound of the engine is the sound of wasted energy.  A perfect race car should be silent, putting every bit of power into winning.  (Just as Chapman's perfect car fall apart on the finish line)

I get your point but loud sounds require a relatively tiny amount of energy, compared to what is required to move a vehicle.

It's interesting how emotive sound is. Although the sound of these new cars makes absolutely zero difference to the potential results of a race, it really has made a big difference to many people, even those who only watch on TV.

I've reserved judgement until I hear them live, and up until now have thought that I probably won't mind an awful lot, plus it will be slightly easier to talk to the person next to you. However I fear it will be a slight disappointment, hopefully not one great enough to reduce the overall enjoyment.

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »
Talk?  You had better be quiet when you're next to me!   :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
Now what did I do with that ticket? It was bin-day today.. Surely I haven't… No - can't be…

Offline Scott

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
Now what did I do with that ticket? It was bin-day today.. Surely I haven't… No - can't be…

:P :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:33 PM »
Something I think that has been overlooked here is the possible hearing damage to those who work in Formula 1.  Yes, I know that earplugs have been mandatory for some time, but is that enough?  Also, the crowd don't have access to earplugs, unless they've brought their own.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that was a factor in the change of the rules, but it's one positive impact that I think may inadvertently come from this.  Certainly the mechanics, engineers, and others who work with the cars every day may well be grateful.  It would be interesting to know what they think.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »
Also, the crowd don't have access to earplugs, unless they've brought their own.

At Silverstone they hand out packs of earplugs at the gate, if you want them, when you enter any day of an F1 GP weekend. I know as I attended Fri & Sat practice in 2011 & Fri 2012.
I suspect most other tracks around the world, well Europe anyway, do the same to avoid lawsuits from ambulance chasers - or should that be chancers.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 10:47:11 PM »
I got them at Monza too John, but I'd taken a supply of them anyway, before I went to Monza I'd checked on the internet to see what the likely decibels were, yup, earplugs needed.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 12:31:37 AM »
I know of one engineer who agrees with me....

Me!

BSME Ohio University 1978   ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »
I know of one engineer who agrees with me....

Me!

BSME Ohio University 1978   ;)

So slower is okay as long as it's louder?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 06:37:58 PM »
Quiet is as out of place at a motor race as it is at a rock concert. The sound is an integral part of the sport, the experience.

And remember, F1 cars are far from being the fasted race cars in the world any more.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 07:56:31 PM »
The emphasis should be on the quality of the sound, not the volume.

I love the sound of a: Spitfire (plane not Triumph); Harley Davidson; V-12 Ferrari; BSA 500 Single; Kenworth T800; Austin Healey; etc.

I do not love the incessant annoying scream of recent F1 cars and will not miss it.  :fool:
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 11:20:36 PM »
At Silverstone they hand out packs of earplugs at the gate, if you want them, when you enter any day of an F1 GP weekend. I know as I attended Fri & Sat practice in 2011 & Fri 2012.
I suspect most other tracks around the world, well Europe anyway, do the same to avoid lawsuits from ambulance chasers - or should that be chancers.  :D

I got them at Monza too John, but I'd taken a supply of them anyway, before I went to Monza I'd checked on the internet to see what the likely decibels were, yup, earplugs needed.

Thanks for posting that information guys.  I did not know that they were given out, although I ought to have guessed really, as it make sense for EU countries at least.  It may also be a universal requirement.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle