collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 373
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: More Bad Press for F1  (Read 6105 times)

Offline Ian

Re: More Bad Press for F1
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 12:31:10 AM »
Silly thing is that I've got a friend who's a fully qualified track marshal, he was one of the British contingent who marshal'd at the 1st Abu Dhabi GP, he never wears earplugs, and he's right at the trackside.  :crazy:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 06:14:52 AM »
I've been to hundreds of races from F1 to IMSA in it's heyday, to Can-AM to AMA road course with 750 2 strokes, lots of concerts and never wore earplugs. Now I have a stylish pair of hearing aids.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »
Whoops.  :DD  :DD

Offline Scott

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »
I've been to hundreds of races from F1 to IMSA in it's heyday, to Can-AM to AMA road course with 750 2 strokes, lots of concerts and never wore earplugs. Now I have a stylish pair of hearing aids.

My Dad always loved his - used to turn them off when there was too much racket going on for him, or whenever he felt like having a snooze.   ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 07:37:39 AM »
Kate Walker brings along a conspiracy theory that's not far off what some have been saying.  :crazy:

http://m.crash.net/f1/feature/201540/1/kate-walker-the-sound-of-a-conspiracy.html

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 11:23:54 AM »
I see that she has fallen for the FIA's newspeak, "the V8s that would have heralded the end of Formula One had we persisted in using them." As history has proven, just the opposite is true. NASCAR tried to force V6's on fans in the Busch (now Nationwide) series. they were universally hated and almost killed the series.

F1 will prosper with V-12's V-10's and/or V8's. V6's are strictly for undercard series, and turbo-mufflers only make it worse. They are about as exotic and inspiring as an old sock.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

vintly

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »
'…exotic and inspiring as an old sock' !

Cos, I am truly enjoying your continued vitriol for these new 'engines', so much so that you're winning me round. And if Vettel thinks they sound sh*t then that's good enough for me  ;)

I'll reserve judgement until I've heard them live, but look forward to joining you in the vocal disapproval, and can't wait to make up new and amusing phrases to describe how pathetic they sound. It made me laugh that the Sky F1 edits still use the old V8 scream, and during FP1 there was a funny moment when only one car was on track, and Crofty said 'Let's listen to the engine for a minute'. He went quiet and all you could hear was the hovering helicopter. It was laughable.

However, the whole issue of the sound doesn't result in any reduction of enjoyment of the sport as a whole for me - I guess I'm not a true petrol-head - it's just a slightly sad side-issue. It's danger I miss more, not sound. Tracks are too safe.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 05:58:06 AM »
The new engines may be uninspiring, but they are far more exotic and will ultimately be more powerful than the V8s they replaced.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
The cars on my old Gran Turismo 4 sound better than these F1 cars.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »
Being overly complex & gadget ridden does not make them more exotic.

Remember the Jaguar XJ220? Don't worry, very few do. It was going to be Jaguar entry into the supercar market. It would have a majorly tweaked version of Jag's then-current V-12 engine & capable of 220 mph. The entire production run was sold out before the first car was built.

When the car was released, it performed as promised. The was one change. The V-12 was replaced with a turbo V-6. Most purchasers refused delivery and demanded refunds. Jag had a hard time moving the cars even at massively discounted prices. To this day, the cars bring a small fraction of the price that cars of similar performance bring. Why? Because the V-6 is just inherently the blandest of engine configurations. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it will still be a pig.

The turbo V-6 engine went on to find a more appropriate home in the ultimate hot hatch, the MG Metro 6R4.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »
Haha...Bernie likes them now.  I know what, put mic's near the exhausts, then amplify them and play it through the PA system. 

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/26783422

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle