collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 307
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: A U.S. F1 Team Might Actually Happen  (Read 7085 times)

Offline J.Clark

Re: A U.S. F1 Team Might Actually Happen
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
While watching the NASCAR Darlington race last night, they made some comments about Haas putting together the team and entering F1 for hopefully 2015.  They said the "official" and "formal" announcement would come later in the year.  There comments were generally favorable and pointed to the matter of money and that Haas has enough team ownership experience that he will not run into the money being a problem.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:14:23 PM by J.Clark »
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
...for hopefully 2014.

I think you meant 2015.  That would be remarkable, but I have to say, Haas seems far better equipped both financially and logistically than Windsor and friends sorry attempt.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 06:19:26 PM »
Thanks - corrected it.

Yes, Windsor and company had a wonderful plan, but lacked the "team  building" knowledge.  It would have been interesting.

I have to wonder now about another aspect of this.  Haas is part of Stewart-Haas, a team for which Danica Patrick drives, and as she has Indy cars in her resume, along with NASCAR now, could he be thinking of her as one of the drivers? She may not have what it takes, but I would like to see here at least get a test.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 07:39:01 PM »
Thanks - corrected it.

Yes, Windsor and company had a wonderful plan, but lacked the "team  building" knowledge.  It would have been interesting.

I have to wonder now about another aspect of this.  Haas is part of Stewart-Haas, a team for which Danica Patrick drives, and as she has Indy cars in her resume, along with NASCAR now, could he be thinking of her as one of the drivers? She may not have what it takes, but I would like to see here at least get a test.

Even 2015 seems ambitious at this point.  I should imagine most existing are at least on the drawing board for 2015.

I do like that Haas sees this as an extension of his existing team.  Having people who have worked together going on to a new challenge will be quite exciting.  I doubt we'll see Danica line up on the F1 grid, but I suspect that sponsors will be allowed to believe she might.  Given F1's history of girlie calendars, she might fit right in.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »
Why not? The Diva is to a real race driver what a turbo V6 is to a real race engine.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
I would be satisfied to see her get a serious test in the car.  She has done okay as a driver in other series; although, not necessarily a championship performance.  Sponsors would certainly go for it.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »
Why not? The Diva is to a real race driver what a turbo V6 is to a real race engine.  :sick:

I don't suppose it will matter anyway Cos as Haas are unlikely to field a serious car in their first few seasons, if the struggles of all the other newbie teams are anything to go by.  :D   

Be nice to have a female piloting an F1 car again though, just to keep the guys on their toes.  :P   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »
There are plenty of real female drivers out there. Let one of them have a shot at an F1 seat.

I just read that Subway is thinking of F1 sponsorship. Could there be a link?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »
There are plenty of real female drivers out there. Let one of them have a shot at an F1 seat.

I just read that Subway is thinking of F1 sponsorship. Could there be a link?

Get real Cossie F1 is a money pit, no other female driver has anything like the backing that Danica can command - and even that may not be enough to buy an F1 seat.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »
I think that Susie Wolff and Simona de Silvestro would be mighty miffed if Danica Patrick just swept onto the grid when they're the ones with the connections to current F1 teams.

Back to the topic at hand though, and I remain sceptical.  US Formula 1 teams don't have a good history, for the most part, in Formula 1, and I'm yet to be convinced that all the funding and infrastructure plans are in place for this project.  Time will tell, but I think that 2015 is very optimistic for a debut season.  Also, who would supply the engine?
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »
No other potential US F1 team has had better funding and infrastructure, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Customer engines are all over F1 at the moment (plus another with Honda coming on board), there is really very little to do to acquire an engine for a new team other than to pay a rather substantial invoice.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
I think that Susie Wolff and Simona de Silvestro would be mighty miffed if Danica Patrick just swept onto the grid when they're the ones with the connections to current F1 teams.

Back to the topic at hand though, and I remain sceptical.  US Formula 1 teams don't have a good history, for the most part, in Formula 1, and I'm yet to be convinced that all the funding and infrastructure plans are in place for this project.  Time will tell, but I think that 2015 is very optimistic for a debut season.  Also, who would supply the engine?

A few things to keep in mind.  There's a first for everything.  There may never have been a successful American GP team, but there will be one day.  Most successful F1 teams were started by people with a background in racing, Haas has that.  Most modern (successful) F1 teams are backed by massive industrial organisations.  Haas has that too.

As for drivers... F1 has never been about 'fair'.  I don't expect that to start now.  My guess is a 'top' driver past his prime will be hired for credibility, and an American for promotional purposes.  (Perhaps Ruebans is available, and a loaner from the Red Bull development program or IndyCar ladder series)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »
That's exactly what Haas himself said. First, no one from the NASCAR team, they are all committed to the tintops. Second, an established F1 driver with a young American team mate like Alex Rossi perhaps.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that it won't happen.  I'd also like it to happen.  I just have my doubts.

If it were to happen, then Alex Rossi is a shoe-in for me.  They'll just need someone with experience to partner him.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that it won't happen.  I'd also like it to happen.  I just have my doubts.

If it were to happen, then Alex Rossi is a shoe-in for me.  They'll just need someone with experience to partner him.

Return of Juan Pablo Montoya may be? I think the remarks he made the other day regarding this venture, I don't think they will even consider him, but I do think Montoya can be a good pick.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle