collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Cost Cap ditched  (Read 10353 times)

Offline Scott

Re: F1 Cost Cap ditched
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
I know we've been over this before, but it's a North American thing.  We don't understand why any sport requires legally distinct administrative and commercial entities to function.  The NFL, Baseball, NBA, NHL, IndyCar, NASCAR all operate as their own entities.  They are all run by one 'Commissioner' or 'President' who is responsible for the league. 

The FIA and FOM each have their own interests, which pulls the sport in two directions.  That doesn't benefit the sport to try and fulfill two visions, since more often than not they'll fail at one, or compromise and fail at both.

The trademark 'F1' isn't as valuable as people think.  I'm quite happy with GP Wizard.  If Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes agree to form SuperHappyRaceCars, their fans will follow.

Couldn't agree more.  The FIA's 'power' has far more to do with contracts with tracks than it does 'F1' as it stands today.  Certainly if the sport was ready to pay some contract penalties, it could form SuperHappyRaceCars today - maybe have to race a few older tracks to start with, but really no big deal when you think of the benefit of ditching the FIA.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »
I agree. Let them keep the name F1. Without the teams, the name would be as worthless as the rest of the FIA. The sooner they're gone, the better.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 06:09:58 AM »
If you lose the name Formula 1, you lose all the history of the championship. Hamilton might win the series championship, but it wouldn't be the WDC; it wouldn't be the same championship that Clark, Stewart, Senna and Schumacher won. That is a considerable loss.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
In a year or two, F1 would be dead as a doornail. The new series could then purchase the name, and history, for practically nothing. Just like what IRL did with CART and NASCAR just did with ALMS.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 05:02:14 PM »
If you lose the name Formula 1, you lose all the history of the championship. Hamilton might win the series championship, but it wouldn't be the WDC; it wouldn't be the same championship that Clark, Stewart, Senna and Schumacher won. That is a considerable loss.

Corvettes used to be manufactured by General Motors Corporation, now they're manufactured by General Motors Company.  I think there's still plenty of demand for Corvettes AND a respect for the history of the car.

Same with Fiat's Dodge and Ferrari divisions.  Plenty of history despite changes of ownership.

Car people are very good at respecting history, while not really caring who 'owns' it (just so long as it is respected).

If 'F1' is owned by Snapple, I'd still watch if they put on a good show.

If 'F1' ceases to exist, and we have 'World Championship Racing Brought to you by Bounty Paper Towels', and they put on an exciting race, I will watch.

I'd rather F1 continue on, but I'm not following along for the name, I'm interested in what's going on the track.

vintly

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 12:07:17 AM »
F1 will be the uppermost formula of racing cars worldwide in 2024.

Offering even money, taking bets now.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 05:38:57 AM »
Sorry, the Corvette analogy doesn't hold up. What if Corvettes were built by Chery Motors of China and called Dragon 5000s? That would be the equivalent of losing the name Formula 1. I'm sure it would be great racing and I would watch as well, but the history would be gone. This sort of break away assumes the teams are unhappy with the new rules, and I din't think they are. Renault and Mercedes have both said they are happy with the change, Honda is returning after several years. The larger teams all oppose the cap, and are relatively happy with the payout. Why would they leave?
Lonny

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
In a year or two, F1 would be dead as a doornail. The new series could then purchase the name, and history, for practically nothing. Just like what IRL did with CART and NASCAR just did with ALMS.

Yeah but the FIA would still own the rights to F1 and the right to regulate it. Doesn't matter to them so much really if it falls in value as long as any commercial promoter can pay them over £20m a year for the privilege of them overseeing regulation of the race series.

The enforced split on regulatory and commercial sides of F1 means the FIA has only a relatively minor monetary interest in F1. The FIA during Max's tenure sold the commercial rights for a hundred years to Bernie for about $300m. 

FOM is the big money operator and has a contract to run F1 til about the end of this century, it's them that would take the massive hit - maybe £2bn or more - if F1 becomes devalued as you suggest. Somehow I don't see them being keen for that to happen.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »
If Ferrari, McLaren, RBR, Merc and the other teams start there own series, how much will the name "F1" be worth? Will people really go to some boring Tilke-drome in the middle of nowhere to stare at an empty track? Will sponsors and TV pay to be involved?
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »
Sorry, the Corvette analogy doesn't hold up. What if Corvettes were built by Chery Motors of China and called Dragon 5000s? That would be the equivalent of losing the name Formula 1. I'm sure it would be great racing and I would watch as well, but the history would be gone. This sort of break away assumes the teams are unhappy with the new rules, and I din't think they are. Renault and Mercedes have both said they are happy with the change, Honda is returning after several years. The larger teams all oppose the cap, and are relatively happy with the payout. Why would they leave?

I'm saying that as long as top level racing is respected, that motor racing fans will continue to watch, no matter who puts it on, or what it's called.

And the Corvette example stands up, it's owned by a different company, but I'm pretty sure no one cares, because they're still Corvettes.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 08:13:14 PM »
Yes, they're still Corvettes. Formula 1 without the name Formula 1 is not Formula 1 any longer. It may be the best of the best and great racing, but it's not Formula 1.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 10:17:16 PM »
Pre-war Grand Prix racing wasn't F1, but we still consider it to be part of the history of F1. I'd hate to see the name F1 go away, but that would be far better than having the FIA run the sport into the ground.
― Bob Dylan

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 12:25:27 AM »
Pre-war Grand Prix racing wasn't F1, but we still consider it to be part of the history of F1. I'd hate to see the name F1 go away, but that would be far better than having the FIA run the sport into the ground.

Cos any new series that seeks to replace F1 is still likely to ask the FIA to regulate it. The FIA is really the only organisation with worldwide coverage to be able to provide the back office and at track officials, after all it has almost all the national motor racing clubs & motoring organisations affiliated to it, and each continent is represented on it's World sports council.

The FIA, who happen to be in favour of cost capping, was outvoted on the F1 strategy group by the big teams and FOM. Now that's the new style F1 democracy in action - however odd it may seem. The FIA may regulate F1 but it certainly doesn't make unrestricted decisions on what happens anymore.

Sure motor racing pre F1 is interesting, but it's simply motor racing history, most of us can easily recall "Nino" Farina as the original WDC for the 1950 season. Who remembers champions before that, I know I certainly don't, anymore than we can easily recall champions of Formula 2 or 3, or Formula 5000 for that matter.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:05 PM »
I can recall names like Tazio Nuvolari, Hans Stuck, Richard Seaman, Bernd Rosemeyer, Achille Varzi, Hermann Lang, Antonio Ascari and Rudolf Caracciola as well as I can remember the likes of Nino Farina and Alberto Ascari. Were there ever any greater open wheel race cars than the Alfa P3, The Mercedes W154 or the Auto Union D?

The FIA is the problem, not the solution. Just look at the damage they've done to sports car racing since they got their claws into it.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle