collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 173
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Stefano Domenicalli resigns  (Read 5173 times)

vintly

Stefano Domenicalli resigns
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
As being tweeted now, he's stood down. Fair play to him leaving now, whether Ferrari's malaise is his fault or not.

Offline Monty

Re: Stefano Domenicalli resigns
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »
I always felt he was too nice to survive at Ferrari!
Do you think they will be calling Mr Brawn?

vintly

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Brawn has been tapped-up about the job already, but I doubt he'll want it. Vague reports of his wife's ill health, plus his own health has seen him miss a GP or two over recent years. Also he's been there and done that, and he won't be able to top his last stint at Ferrari.

I think he's either retired for good, or would only be interested in the Top Job, if you know what I mean.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »
I doubt that Domenicalli is the problem at Ferrari. Sorry to see him go.

It looks like Marco Mattiacci, who has been working as president and CEO of Ferrari's North American operations, will take over responsibility for the F1 team.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »
I doubt that Domenicalli is the problem at Ferrari. Sorry to see him go.

It looks like Marco Mattiacci, who has been working as president and CEO of Ferrari's North American operations, will take over responsibility for the F1 team.

In an organisation as complicated as an F1 team, there's always plenty of blame to go 'round.  At the end of the day, there's got to be someone who's job is to accept responsibility.  Today it is Domenicali.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »
We'll see if he is the first of many, or if they really can put all the blame on him. 

Pretty big learning curve for Mattiacci, I'd say.  He has zero, nil, nada experience with any kind of race team, much less F1, and of course even Scuderia Ferrari. 

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/who-is-marco-mattiacci/

Luca is mad.  Why on earth would he bring in his Sales and Business guy to run the F1 team?  I'll give Mr. Mattiacci a chance, but it doesn't seem well thought out, more knee jerk.  :DntKnw:

The real shame will be that if he fails, his Ferrari career will effectively be over, and by the look of his resume, he was gunning for the top job.  Of course if he succeeds, well...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
I know that fundamentally this is a 'management' job but what can Marco Mattiacci bring? To the best of my knowledge he has no experience in F1 and I cannot find any history in any level of motorsport. In fact his CV suggests he is primarily a bean-counter.

vintly

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »
Successful CEOs of US businesses know how to crack heads and Get Things Done. Maybe this is what Ferrari needs, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »
Every time a "bean counter" is put in charge of anything car related, the result is almost always a disaster.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »
Whilst I like Stefano is it really a surprise that he's going? He's hardly moved the team forward, in fact they've gone backwards from his initial year of 08 when they won the WCC.  His one big achievement was signing Nando, but even with that where else did Alonso have to go with his bust up with Macca and the demise of Renault as a works team.

This new hotshot from FIAT's North American division will not be allowed to fail, Luca will move the goalposts as and when if he thinks this guy is really Ferrari/FIAT's future.

What better way is there to start anywhere than after a period of failure within a business?  Surely the worst time to take over is from someone jumping ship(sorry retiring) at the end of a long spell as the number one outfit.  - Hold on a minute sounds just like when Domenicalli took the reigns from Todt  :D 

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:16:13 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
Successful CEOs of US businesses

This seems to suggest that a US connection is essential to 'knock heads'
Having Managed the successful UK division of a successful Canadian Group which was then acquired by a US Corporation with a tough CEO who then managed to wreck everything good about the Group resulting in a loss of 20% market share in the US, 40% market share in Europe and 70% market share in Canada, I have a slightly different view!

To manage a business effectively you first have to understand the business. Stefano Domenicalli had 20years experience in F1. He hasn't brought huge success but equally he hasn't made a laughing stock of the brand. Also we have no idea of how much scarlet red tape his hands were bound with.

vintly

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »
Successful CEOs of US businesses

This seems to suggest that a US connection is essential to 'knock heads'
Having Managed the successful UK division of a successful Canadian Group which was then acquired by a US Corporation with a tough CEO who then managed to wreck everything good about the Group resulting in a loss of 20% market share in the US, 40% market share in Europe and 70% market share in Canada, I have a slightly different view!

To manage a business effectively you first have to understand the business. Stefano Domenicalli had 20years experience in F1. He hasn't brought huge success but equally he hasn't made a laughing stock of the brand. Also we have no idea of how much scarlet red tape his hands were bound with.

No, you've put two and two together and got five. But I take the point - ditch the 'US'. I guess that addition was a nod towards the highly competitive nature of business in developed economies, not just the US. But I think you know what I was getting at.

To clarify, my point was that apart from all the regular 'plus points' one needs to successfully run a business, the requirement to be able to make tough decisions without fear of upsetting people, whilst maintaining the respect and dedication of your workforce is possibly something that Domenicali lacked, and a successful CEO probably doesn't lack. Of course it's not just about cracking heads.

Is it just a coincidence that Whitmarsh and Domenicali were constantly grinning in defeat when they should have been damn angry? Or was it an indication of their overly passive nature in the role of boss? We wouldn't have seen Brawn or Dennis so happy to lose these last few years.

Should Domenicali be congratulated for not making a laughing stock out of the brand?? This is Ferrari for god's sake! Race wins mean NOTHING without WDCs and WCCs to back them up. 

Maybe a trouble-shooter IS all that Ferrari need. A person to whip up a dynamic mix of energy, excellence and a sprinkling of fear within the team? Maybe the race-craft can be left to others. Of course, I'm only surmising here, but one thing's for sure, when you fire someone (or they willingly walk), you hire someone different next time.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:53:16 AM by vintly »

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »
Nothing personal. I have a completely balanced view about US business .... I have a chip on both shoulders!
I do take your point and of course all of the F1 teams must have 'business' at the forefront of their efforts. However, if we look at the other teams the principles are 'enthusiasts'. Even Mercedes (which really worry me because they seem to be trying to manage by committee) have a top management that all have motor racing in their veins. I can't stand Helmut Marko but he has racing pedigree, and Christian Horner, the Williams family (doesn't get much better!), Monisha Kaltenborn started as a business manager but only took over Sauber after 14 years of involvement in F1, Vijay Mallya ... well he is just a playboy but nobody can suggest he isn't an enthusiast, etc., etc. My point is that none of the teams are run by, what could be called, a typical CEO.

Offline Scott

Re: A U.S. F1 Team Might Actually Happen
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »
Completely agree with you Monty.  'Winning at any cost' just goes against what every business grad is taught.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
Whether the new guy is successful or not, I hope he's a character who provides interest, and I wouldn't mind if he was extremely controversial and added drama. Even I want to see Ferrari do well, but I'd prefer a real character who tried and failed to an average nice guy who failed to really try.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle