collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 347
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2014 Chinese GP  (Read 6956 times)

Offline Scott

2014 Chinese GP
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
Ferd on top FP1, and just behind Hamilton in FP2

...must be due to the new chief at Ferrari?  :crazy:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/27076346

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

Re: 2014 Chinese GP
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
Heh he works quick! Kimi still down a bit which is a shame, and I'm not rubbing it in about our little bet. Remember, I put money on Lotus this year!

Towards the end of FP2 there were some interesting times coming from the leaders in relation to tyre deg. It looked like the Bulls had less deg than others, and were able to put more consistent times in on 10-lap runs on the medium tyre. Probably not enough to really hurt the Mercs, but might make for an interesting race.

Hopefully too some more fights to come between Lewis and Nico - especially up that 1,100m straight. That reminds me - on Sky F1, Crofty mentioned a tweet from someone asking why the cars weren't reaching 8th gear on the straight. He said the cars are geared for the whole year now, not able to tweak race by race - which didn't really answer the question. If this is the longest straight of the season, surely they'd reach 8th gear even if gear ratios are locked down for the whole season, no? Who can answer that?

I quite like the Chinese track - nice mix of fast and long corners. But the weather's always so lacklustre, makes the cars and track look a bit crap. It would be better at night… Actually reading that back I think I'm just spoilt. :)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »
Looks like Maldo had a bad day...crashing while making steering wheel adjustments and then totally blowing the turn on pit entry.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the steering wheel error, especially since it didn't damage the car, but pit entry is something every driver should have learned ever since Lewis started the craze way back in his first year of F1.  Seems each year someone puts it in the gravel or wall there.  Better to get that curse out of the way during practice though...hopefully nobody will do it in the race.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/203365/1/maldonado-plays-down-practice-crash.html

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 04:05:36 PM »

Hopefully too some more fights to come between Lewis and Nico - especially up that 1,100m straight. That reminds me - on Sky F1, Crofty mentioned a tweet from someone asking why the cars weren't reaching 8th gear on the straight. He said the cars are geared for the whole year now, not able to tweak race by race - which didn't really answer the question. If this is the longest straight of the season, surely they'd reach 8th gear even if gear ratios are locked down for the whole season, no? Who can answer that?

It may be the longest straight, but the rest of the track requires much more downforce than other circuits like Monza and Bahrain. So even though it is a longer straight, the cars will not be going as fast, thus a lower gear.

vintly

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »

It may be the longest straight, but the rest of the track requires much more downforce than other circuits like Monza and Bahrain. So even though it is a longer straight, the cars will not be going as fast, thus a lower gear.

Why of course, thank you PG, or is it Gabriel? Anyway thanks.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »

Why of course, thank you PG, or is it Gabriel? Anyway thanks.

:good: :good: :good: PG, please keep it up :)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 12:28:46 AM »
Another one of these tracks with oceans of tarmac....  I've never liked the place, although it's better than the Bahrain circuit.

Qualifying could be a bit of a lottery, in view of the weather forecast, but I can't see any massive surprises, as I don't think that the Mercedes powered teams will have quite the advantage that they did over the others in Bahrain.  Expect Hamilton and Rosberg at the front, but I wonder if Ferrari can get a podium finish for Alonso?

As for Maldonado, he's just no good when the car is off the pace.  He showed this in 2011 and 2013 at Williams, as is demonstrating the same behaviour at Lotus.  He's just disinterested, and that's why he's making such careless errors.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 09:38:31 AM »
As for Maldonado, he's just no good when the car is off the pace.  He showed this in 2011 and 2013 at Williams, as is demonstrating the same behaviour at Lotus.  He's just disinterested, and that's why he's making such careless errors.

I thought he was just a lousy driver with a lot of money  :DntKnw: :crazy: :crazy:

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 11:13:36 AM »
Maldo's weekend going from bad to worse....had to sit out Q because his car was lacking an important part - the engine.  :crazy:

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 11:58:13 AM »
I found the design of the circuit fascinating right from its inception.  I have been disappointed by the racing, or relative lack thereof since.  The circuit has not to my memory, produced any truly exciting racing in its history.  I will watch the race and hope that perhaps with the changes to the rules for 2014, this year will be a change for the better.

We qualifying has jumbled the field a bit, but not too significantly.
The grid:

1. Hamilton   Mercedes-Mercedes   1m 53.860s
2. Ricciardo   Red Bull-Renault   1m 54.455s
3. Vettel   Red Bull-Renault   1m 54.960s
4. Rosberg    Mercedes-Mercedes   1m 55.143s
5. Alonso   Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 55.637s
6. Massa   Williams-Mercedes   1m 56.147s
7. Bottas   Williams-Mercedes   1m 56.282s
8. Hulkenberg   Force India-Mercedes   1m 56.366s
9. Vergne   Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 56.773s
10. Grosjean   Lotus-Renault   1m 57.079s
11. Raikkonen   Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 56.860s
12. Button    McLaren-Mercedes   1m 56.963s
13. Kvyat   Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 57.289s
14. Sutil   Sauber-Ferrari   1m 57.393s
15. Magnussen   McLaren-Mercedes   1m 57.675s
16. Perez   Force India-Mercedes   1m 58.264s
17. Gutierrez   Sauber-Ferrari   1m 58.988s
18. Kobayashi   Caterham-Renault   1m 59.260s
19. Bianchi     Marussia-Ferrari   1m 59.326s
20. Ericsson   Caterham-Renault   2m 00.646s
21. Chilton    Marussia-Ferrari   2m 00.865s
22. Maldonado   Lotus-Renault   no time Q1*

It is a bit difficult to say that any teammate out qualified the other here because of the rain coming and going during each session.  The only real surprises, which did not appear to be related to this aspect of it, are the McLarens both missed the top 10, and Kimi too.

It does look like Red Bull have made a huge leap forward.  It will be very interesting to see how the first stint plays out with the two of them between Hamilton and Rosberg.

Alonso is a good starter.  That having been said, so is Massa and I have to wonder if one or perhaps even both Williams could get the Ferrari at the start.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
Maldo's weekend going from bad to worse....had to sit out Q because his car was lacking an important part - the engine.  :crazy:

If you have seen his practice crash, you would surely understand why this driver is making a mockery of the flawed system called pay drivers. Out there tons of better drivers are present in the pipeline, just because of his 35million PDVSA money-train he is driving a car, that can be pushed upto Q3, if you are a good and reasonable driver. Romain Grosjean is an excellent example of transforming himself from a first corner nut-case to an excellent calculative and a brilliant driver. Pastor Maldonado had more than enough chances to correct himself. If I was a person from PDVSA I would severed all ties from this maniac who has not only made PDVSA look ridiculous but also brought shame to  his country.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:03:05 PM by F1fanaticBD »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »

The mechanic finally found a way to prevent Pastor the Disaster from pranging the car during Quali.

Since the FIA says that it wants to make F1 more "relevant" to street driving, maybe they could use Maldo's FP1 incident in an advert warning of the dangers of distracted driving.   :confused:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 12:01:06 AM »
Really really bad weekend for Maldonado all round.

No other incidents of major note, other than Rosberg clearly getting frustrated.  He knows that he should have been on the front row in dry conditions, and I think that he overdrove in the wet trying too hard to beat Hamilton.  He's on the back foot now, given that he has to pass both Red Bulls tomorrow, and keep an eye the fast starting Alonso and Massa.

Grosjean getting into the top ten was a massive achievement, but it wasn't really an upturn in performance from Lotus, because a number of other drivers and cars underperformed in the damp conditions, notably Raikkonen (who also had gearbox trouble) and both McLarens.

Hamilton should walk this tomorrow if it's dry and his car has no problems.  The battle will be watching Rosberg fight he was up to second, and to see whether Red Bull has the dry race pace to fend off Alonso for a podium finish.

I wonder how many laps Maldonado will manage :D?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »

Hamilton should walk this tomorrow if it's dry and his car has no problems.  The battle will be watching Rosberg fight he was up to second, and to see whether Red Bull has the dry race pace to fend off Alonso for a podium finish.

How on earth can some one be so precise about a race? No wonder you are doing great in GG..Sometimes you just make me feel you got a crystal ball telling you all  :'(

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »
Got to hand it to you Irisado, you nailed what, the first 5 cars?  Betcha wish you had doubled up today.  :good: :good:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle