collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 603
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Spain:hero's and zero's  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Irisado

Re: Spain:hero's and zero's
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »
I'm sorry to reiterate it yet again, and I'd hoped that this season would change things, but we're now stuck in this familiar pattern of excessive reliability.  More cars on the track does not equate to more exciting racing by default, and we saw that in Spain.  Most of the race was deadly dull, the only excitement occurring at the end with Rosberg's chase of Hamilton, and Alonso catching and passing Raikkonen.  Other than that there was nothing of any interest at all in my opinion.

It was a race decided on strategy for the most part, thus back to the bad old days of Spanish Grand Prix from the years gone by.

The only way to make the racing more unpredictable if the tyres are going to be more durable and not fall off the cliff is to increase unreliability.  Something has to give because dull processions in which everyone finishes are the worst kind of procession, at least if there's a chance cars will break down, there's something to retain the interest and keep the tension bubbling beneath the surface.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
Two birds with one stone...turn up the REVS!!  Make it loud and occasionally blow up.   :crazy: :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
Not worried about the sound, but I'm all in favour of turning the revs up :D.  We would then see who can turn up the power for the longest without blowing the engine to pieces.  Who would be willing to gamble on more performance versus potentially not finishing the race?  I like this idea.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 08:38:11 AM »
Make the tyres as hard as a hard thing so they last and don't shred tons of marbles, make sure the fuel limit is reasonable and then the cars can really run at 100% which will increase risks of blow-ups, spins, etc.  .... you remember, its what we used to call racing.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 12:14:41 AM »
2005, when tyre stops were forbidden, was actually a pretty good year in the championship battle actually.  Ferrari didn't like it though, so there's no way we'll return to that.  Optional tyre stops, which was feasible pre 1994, would be interesting though.  Who would be able to run non-stop because they were kind on their tyres?

I remember in 1993 Minardi and Larrousse both used to regularly make up places during the race through their drivers being able to run non-stop at quite a few circuits, while their competitors who were, theoretically faster, ended up losing out by making tyre stops.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle