collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 572
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes test engine megaphone  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Vince

Re: Mercedes test engine megaphone
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
Looks a bit silly though, for want of a better word... Reminds me of the boy-racers one sees 'cruising' the high streets with ridiculous (and useless) huge exhausts and spoilers, etc...
The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.
Murray Walker

vintly

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »
According to reports I've read they stopped running them after a while because there was no discernible difference in sound. Personally I think any artificial sound-boost would feel just that, artificial. Let it be, move on, the march of 'progress' isn't always smooth etc etc.

Basically it's hardly the biggest issue with F1, so concentrate on what matters more - good racing for the fans.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
I wonder if somebody at Merc happened to see a mid-30's MG somewhere. Like maybe this beautiful 1934 MG PA.

The turbos are still a dead end. They'll never work for everyday production cars. People buying daily drivers can't afford to replace the engine every year or so. Scrap 'em and move on.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
The turbos are still a dead end. They'll never work for everyday production cars. People buying daily drivers can't afford to replace the engine every year or so. Scrap 'em and move on.

...erm, excuse me but about 40% of cars in the UK are turbos, including my daily driver. I'm not saying you are wrong but I could do without the thought that I am going to have to replace my engine anytime soon, especially as I drive over 30,000 miles per year!   :DntKnw:

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:33:16 PM »
I haven't owned anything without a turbo for the past 12 years.  Not by preference, just that every car I've wanted to buy has ended up being a turbo (a Peugot, a Volvo and 2 VW's - all of which were turbo and to present, very reliable).

But for the record, my car is too quiet too  ;) ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »
The normally aspirated V8 in my E-Series van has over 278,000 miles on the clock and has lived a very hard life. Nothing but routine maintenance. It is on it's second set of spark plugs but still has the original coil packs. Any turbos out there match that?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
The normally aspirated V8 in my E-Series van has over 278,000 miles on the clock and has lived a very hard life. Nothing but routine maintenance. It is on it's second set of spark plugs but still has the original coil packs. Any turbos out there match that?

All those poor mechanics with nothing to fix!  Engine manufacturers who are producing at half capacity!  No wonder manufacturing is down.  Quality products are irreplaceable!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »
Can't match Cossie yet, but my Subaru 4 cylinder turbo has 97K on it with no problems so far. The reason turbos came to F1 was because most manufacturers see turbos as the future. Audi's RS4 went from a V8 to a twin turbo V6, the nest Lexus IS is a I4 turbo in the base model, as is the next Jag XF I believe. I'm sure Renault and Merc are already learning things that will show up in production a few years down the road.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 06:43:39 PM »
Just a repeat of the turbo fads of the early 60's and 80's. This, too, shall pass.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 07:31:52 PM »
Just a repeat of the turbo fads of the early 60's and 80's. This, too, shall pass.

It will, but I doubt a return to V8s is in the cards.  Electric power units are gaining traction in the marketplace.  At some point it will be absurd for the pinnacle of auto racing to use internal combustion engines at all.

And then the petro states will fall, their tracks rapidly falling into disuse.

Silent e-cars will mean no noise complaints at Spa

And the Belgian Grand Prix will be back!

Surely no one here is is opposed to the Belgian Grand Prix?!

Offline Irisado

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »
It was a silly idea to resolve a problem which doesn't exist in the first place.  Time to return to the serious business of proper testing and racing, and not try out gimmicks to enhance engine noise which won't make the racing any better.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 08:54:46 PM »
It was a silly idea to resolve a problem which doesn't exist in the first place.  Time to return to the serious business of proper testing and racing, and not try out gimmicks to enhance engine noise which won't make the racing any better.

I'm pretty sure that Adrian Newey was poised to create an exhaust trumpet that shaved 3/10s of a second off the RBR laptime.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »
Is that a trumpet to recycle Helmut Marko's hot air :D?  That would be worth more than 0.3s per lap :D!
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle