collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 524
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Did Nico put it in the escape road on purpose?

Yes, he pulled a Schumi at Rascasse
No, he just overran the corner.

Author Topic: Nico's in the Escape Road  (Read 7495 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Nico's in the Escape Road
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 10:39:14 AM »
to make sure he was the first out of the pits for his second run to get the jump on Rosberg, and then he wouldn't have had his lap compromised

That would have solved the problem; except, Hamilton was actually being very clever by planning to be almost the last car running on a rapidly improving track. He had no reason to believe that his own team mate would deliberately bring out the yellows.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »
At Monaco though, it's always risky leaving it to the last minute.  Of all the tracks, it has the potential for an accident in the closing stages, because drivers are really going for it on their last run, because grid position is so vital.  Any driver could have gone off and spoilt Hamilton's chances.  If anyone other than his team mate had 'done a Rosberg' everyone would just have been saying that Hamilton was unlucky.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
At Monaco though, it's always risky leaving it to the last minute.  Of all the tracks, it has the potential for an accident in the closing stages, because drivers are really going for it on their last run, because grid position is so vital.  Any driver could have gone off and spoilt Hamilton's chances.  If anyone other than his team mate had 'done a Rosberg' everyone would just have been saying that Hamilton was unlucky.

I'm sure you've noticed that many pole times are set by the very last 'contender' across the finish line.  As the cars go by, they leave rubber on the track that provides traction for anyone who follows, giving an advantage to whomever goes last.

You're right, it's important to bank a time early, especially at Monaco.

vintly

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 03:11:54 PM »
I don't think they need to change anything really. It's only Monaco and perhaps Singapore where this might happen, and it'll be rare that it does happen. When it happens, as we've seen, it's certainly added some spice to the occasion, although it does take away the last-man-over-the-line quali-time excitement that can be the most exciting part of the weekend, bar the start of the race.

There's an idea for F1. Once or twice a season, instead of a 'normal' race, the race day can be staged like this: They line up on the grid in normal fashion, and start a race, that is scheduled for 15 minutes maximum. The object of the race is to get the fastest lap time, any time in that 15 minutes. To get track position a front-runner might allow cars to pass him for a while to get a clear piece of track, then turn it on with 1.5 minutes to go. There's also extra points for how many overtakes you make on lap 1 - this will ensure no dangerous slow-driving off the start.

This way the fans get a great start to watch, plus the excitement of the closing stages of Q3. And it could be run three times in an afternoon, at least!

Think of all the different types of races they can stage for cycling in a velodrome, or the changes in cricket with the T20 matches - it's surely only a matter of time before F1 takes advantage of the potential for shorter, hi-octane race formats. Why not?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:16:08 PM by vintly »

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »
An F1 sprint race on a Saturday eh!  :confused: 

I thought the other series like Motorbikes and lesser formulae had to go to double headers or sprint races to get interest in their particular discipline because F1 was taking such a big percentage of motorsport TV.

F1 has quali sessions on Saturday and all else being equal it's a good show. Perhaps at venues like Monaco and Singapore where issues have tainted the quali, and or race, they should go back to only on car on a hot lap at a time, just for the final 10, with Q2 times giving the order for the 10 to run. More conventional tracks can remain with the standard 3 quali sessions as they are now. In the main it ain't broke - so just fix the bit that might be.     
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 08:49:58 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »
I've often said I thought they should replace Qualifying with a couple of heat races...but of course that would mean bringing back at least one extra car per team at a race weekend in case of a write-off accident.  Ain't gonna happen, I know, but I would LOVE to see something like that.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »
It ain't broke, as you say monty, but we've got artificial overtaking aids in the sport because without them it's deemed too boring. The main reason a lot of people are turned off is because unless you're a bit of a nerd like us, it looks like a procession of cars following each other for the vast majority of the time. True enough.

Ok - taking bets now - I say there will be a tweak to the race format on the main race day - Sunday - within the next five years.

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 06:59:53 AM »
Can't take a bet I agree with, or at least hope for.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 08:52:38 AM »
Can't take a bet I agree with, or at least hope for.

Four years?

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: Re: Nico's in the Escape Road
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »
It ain't broke, as you say monty, but we've got artificial overtaking aids in the sport because without them it's deemed too boring. The main reason a lot of people are turned off is because unless you're a bit of a nerd like us, it looks like a procession of cars following each other for the vast majority of the time. True enough.

Ok - taking bets now - I say there will be a tweak to the race format on the main race day - Sunday - within the next five years.

By the word tweak what exactly did you mean vintly? Resisting the temptation here V , indulge me ;)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
I like John's idea but I would invert the order. Fastest in Q2 goes first. Should make for more interesting grids.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »
I like John's idea but I would invert the order. Fastest in Q2 goes first. Should make for more interesting grids.

I likes it.  :good: 
Be even more controversy for everyone to discuss about whether the track evolves or not.  :D 
Should separate the drivers from the journeymen though.  ;) 

vintly

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »
By the word tweak what exactly did you mean vintly? Resisting the temptation here V , indulge me ;)

Hey BD, see my earlier post, starting:

There's an idea for F1 ….

Or here's another one:

Cars line up on the grid as per the results of the previous race, whatever format that was.

Number of laps equals number of cars. The car at the back of the pack at the end of lap 1 has to retire immediately. Same on lap 2, and lap 3, and so on. After 20 laps, or however many cars there are, you're left with the winner. Points awarded for how many laps you've lasted.

Yes it's crude, but boy would that be exciting, every lap.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »

Number of laps equals number of cars. The car at the back of the pack at the end of lap 1 has to retire immediately. Same on lap 2, and lap 3, and so on. After 20 laps, or however many cars there are, you're left with the winner. Points awarded for how many laps you've lasted.

You just been to a kids party Vintly?  Sounds just like musical chairs.  :D

vintly

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »

You just been to a kids party Vintly?  Sounds just like musical chairs.  :D

When you put it like that - hehehe

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle