collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 495
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Grand Prix du Canada  (Read 5216 times)

Offline J.Clark

Re: Grand Prix du Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »
Hands down, the best race of the season.  Better than most in the past couple of seasons actually.

I didn't like the final outcome though.  I never like  it when a leading car brakes down and loses out because of that, even if it is Hamilton.  What a result for Red Bull though.  Happy for Ricciardo.

Massa just can't seem to get a pit crew!  I blame them for his hitting Perez, who likely hit the brakes early since he was having trouble with them.  If Massa's crew had not totally botched his first stop, Massa would have been ahead of Perez and both Red Bulls.  He may even have run down both Mercedes, and would certainly have passed Nico.  Massa drove what is perhaps his best race ever and could (with the luck Mercedes had) have won it.  I will say one thing though, he must have had a fantastic feeling when he pass his old teammate Alonso.

Good job too from Perez to have made his strategy work so well.  It was fun watching the Force India's running well and being so difficult to pass.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
The best race of the season in terms of on track action and tension.  The best race for many a year in terms of being on the edge of my seat wondering who would finish the race.  It's amazing what a little bit of unreliability can do to spice things up, it doesn't even have to be terminal either to make the racing interesting.

Rosberg did incredibly well to take second with all the problems he had in my opinion.  As ever, Mercedes would have crushed everyone had they not had reliability problems, but this is what Formula 1 is all about (or should be all about).  The quickest cars don't always finish the race.  This was just the shot in the arm Formula 1 has been crying out for.  We probably won't see this level of reliability repeating itself as the season goes on (Canada is always one of the toughest tracks on the cars), but nevertheless, it was encouraging to see the teams having to work hard to finish the race.

A great first win for Ricciardo.  A better strategy, and being in the right place at the right time meant he was there to snatch it from Mercedes after pulling off a good move on Perez.  Vettel was probably really irritated after losing out to his team mate again, but to give him credit for a change, he didn't let it show.

Perez and Massa were just unlucky.  It was a racing incident.  I hope that any subsequent investigation by the stewards reaches the same conclusion.  It was a pretty hefty impact, and I didn't see it coming, so it was a bit of a shock.  I'm glad that they're both in one piece.

Williams just can't seem to quite get it right.  They've got the pace, but the cards just don't see to quite fall their way in the races.  That left Button to pick up the pieces after slipping past Hulkenberg (another good performance from him), and Alonso, but McLaren and Ferrari are just too slow, and it was another pretty tame performance from Raikkonen.  A lazy spin, and lucky to take the last point.

A really bad day for the small teams.  I think that Chilton was at fault in the Marussia inter-team collision, although in reality it was just unlucky that Bianchi was there, otherwise Chilton would have just had a tank slapper and got away with it.  At least Marussia are moving forward in terms of speed though.  Caterham were very slow and unreliable all weekend.  If Tony Fernandez wants to sell the team, the performance needs to improve to make it a more attractive proposition.

Finally, Lotus are still in the doldrums.  It seemed as though both cars either tagged the wall or had structural failures of some kind.  It wasn't overly great work by the television director during the race, as a number of incidents were missed.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
Stewards obviously agree with Smedly and Massa.   Perez found to be at fault and will be penalized in Austria.

The sad, very sad, fact however, is that Massa, who ran a fantastic race and should have scored 10 - 12 points - badly needed points for not only Williams, but Felipe himself.

Still all-in-all, a very exciting race start to finish.

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
True enough, and in fact he was probably ready to pounce on Vettel for a few more points as well.

Heckuva finish though - I will be really interested to hear what went wrong with both Merc's on the same lap.  It was obviously electrical since the KERS and probably ERS wasn't working for them, but to have the same fault at the same time almost points to a software bug.  :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »
Perez isn't too fond of Smedley's comments...but I have to agree with the stewards, it did not look like a normal line when you watch Massa's in car camera.  Massa was aiming for the gap in a way that would still allow him to complete the corner and then Perez moved over on him.  Perez is a sore loser I believe and he didn't want anyone else to pass him to the end, brakes or not.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/205461/1/perez-hits-back-at-smedley.html

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
Mad Props to Rosberg for figuring out a way to survive when Hamilton just put his foot down and ruined the car. Might be a WDC performance. A well deserved win for DR, a very impressive 1/3 season. Irisado, you missed a couple of peevish radio calls from Vettel to his team asking why DR was ahead of him. Credit to V for being a big boy on the podium. Thumbs down to Williams pit crew who botched Massa's stop, might have cost them the win. Williams' engineers have some work to do though as the car clearly does not put the power down off the slow corners. Wheelspin off the hairpin prevented Massa from making the pass at the end of the straight on the Bulls. A great race, funny how often Canada steps up isn't it?
Lonny

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
I am having a bit of trouble and am asking if anyone on here happens to know how long Massa's first pit stop was?
We are looking at an average of around 3 - 4 seconds typically for a car to be stationary.  I don't think I ever saw them show that for his first stop.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
I got this from a friend.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/06/09/2014-canadian-grand-prix-tyre-strategies-pit-stops/

It shows that Massa lost an additional 4 seconds in the first stop.  Huge mistake from Williams at that point of the race.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
Irisado, you missed a couple of peevish radio calls from Vettel to his team asking why DR was ahead of him.

That's probably because the race was so exciting that I wasn't paying much attention to Vettel's poor strategy :D.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Massa has had a couple of other poor pit stops this year as well, and had a big shunt in the first race which wasn't his fault either, so he's not having the rub of the green so far this season.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Monty

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 01:22:14 PM »
figuring out a way to survive when Hamilton just put his foot down and ruined the car

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just had to respond to your comment.
Hamilton drove a brilliant race and was giving the neutrals something to watch. He kept the pressure on Rosberg all the way and certainly looked as if he had the pace to beat his team mate. His speed was coming from the way he had the car set-up. He was using less fuel and energy than Rosberg and if the two cars hadn't of developed the fault Hamilton would have breezed past Rosberg who was needing to lift and coast to compensate for excessive fuel use earlier in the race.
However, due to maintaining the continous pressure on Rosberg, Hamilton had been harder on the rear brakes. When the cars lost the recovery braking, Hamilton's brakes cried enough. Nobody has suggested it was his fault or that he could have done anything to save the brakes. So the fact is that Rosberg was luckier than Hamilton.

Offline Scott

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
In chat I mentioned that Hamilton was simply straight lining every corner after his electrical problem, so you are probably right on the nose with your assessment that his rear brakes had likely completely failed.  Otherwise it simply wouldn't have made sense for him to cut every chicane until he retired later that lap.  Can't remember where, but in one interview Hamilton suggested as much, that his problem although similar to Rosberg's, was much worse and he simply couldn't continue.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 03:05:55 PM »

Mad Props to Rosberg for figuring out a way to survive when Hamilton just put his foot down and ruined the car.

I think Hammy's ERS failed just a bit earlier than Rosberg's, maybe half a lap or even a full lap before, the team has confirmed this, they concluded it was due to heat build up being more severe by having to run so long in the dirty air behind Nico and then the consequent spike in temperature from his final pit stop .

Whilst the team was figuring out what was going on, and calculating new settings for Lewis, Rosberg's ERS showed the same problem, Nico was therefore able to input the new settings almost instantly to compensate for the massive loss of ERS braking effect on the rear, well early enough to stop a complete brake failure anyway - Lewis unfortunately just ran out of time. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:09:35 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »
Have to agree with all of you, my first comment was made before Mercedes described the problem. They also said that pitting second probably made Lewis problem worse. The NBC guys guessed that Lewis maxed his rear brake balance to maintain his pace, and cooked his rear brakes. This was not the case. Still, though he was indeed lucky, Nico helped set himself up for good luck by edging Lewis for pole, fairly forcefully taking the lead at the start and pitting first, all on a track that is one of Lewis' best.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle