collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 364
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Silverstone Santander British Grand Prix  (Read 9926 times)

Offline J.Clark

Silverstone Santander British Grand Prix
« on: July 02, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »
We are just two days from Friday Free Practice at Silverstone, a circuit which has been on the calendar since 1950, more-or-less without interruption.  It has seen some changes over the years, none-the-least of which was the recent relocation and complete overhaul of the pit lane/garage area.

There are long straights, which will favor the Mercedes powered cars again in all probability.  The typical turn one bottle neck doesn't actually happen here until turns 3 & 4.  From their speeds increase slowing only slightly through Maggotts to Chapel and then the long run to Stowe where Schumacher went straight and broke his leg.  A shorter run to turns 16, 17 & 18 at Club on back onto the Start/Finish straight.

There will be two DRS zones - on Wellington and Hanger straights.

Rosberg won it last year and is looking to be good enough to win it this year.  Webber won it in 2012, but Red Bull does not seem a likely winning car this season, in spite of Riccardo's efforts, and while Vettel has won it, he can't seem to beat his teammate this season.  Alonso and Kimi have also won it, but Ferrari is not a likely winning car so their chances are not good.  Lewis has won it and so is the most likely challenger to Rosberg, having the same car.  Williams could be a surprise again though.  Massa was unable to win in 2008 when he was in a winning Ferrari, struggling so that he was lapped by Hamilton's race winning McLaren.  Redemption, is it likely?  He is after all, in a very good car again.  I think this will be Massa's 200th start as well, so a special weekend for him in any case.

Then there is the other matter that too frequently comes into play at Silverstone - weather.  It is, I believe, forecast to be a rainy weekend.

The thing that bothers me most this weekend is that our televised coverage of the race will be delayed until late afternoon instead of the 7:00 AM that is typical of the European races.  Some idiots think the Tour de France is more important than Formula 1.  That means I can't even look at the internet - none of the Formula1.com or Crash.net, or even the forums until late.   :'( :'( :'(

Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

Re: Silverstone Santander British Grand Prix
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »
I absolutely love your previews of each race this year J.Clark...keep it up! :good: :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
The weather forecast is for showers this weekend, with possibly more persistent rain on Saturday, so qualifying could be a wet affair.

In the dry, Mercedes have only themselves to beat, so barring unreliability problems, there's only one winner.  The question is whether Hamilton can get his head together and beat Rosberg.  He might be able to, but they're both fast at this track, so we'll see.

I don't expect any major surprises, unless it rains, but it will be interesting to see if Red Bull's poor performance in Austria was a blip, or whether the upgrades that they have been working on are not producing the expected performance.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:35 PM »
I absolutely love your previews of each race this year J.Clark...keep it up! :good: :good: :good:

Count me in among the ones who appreciate your good work, brilliant  :good: :good:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »
FFP-1 in the books.
The results courtesy of Crash.net:
1. Rosberg    Mercedes-Mercedes   1m 35.424s 25 laps
2. Hamilton   Mercedes-Mercedes   1m 36.155s 22 laps
3. Alonso   Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 36.263s 23 laps
4. Ricciardo   Red Bull-Renault   1m 36.623s 21 laps
5. Raikkonen   Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 36.703s 23 laps
6. Vettel   Red Bull-Renault   1m 36.921s 20 laps
7. Button   McLaren-Mercedes   1m 36.963s 25 laps
8. Kvyat   Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 37.175s 29 laps
9. Vergne   Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 37.227s 25 laps
10. Magnussen   McLaren-Mercedes   1m 37.231s 30 laps
11. Perez   Force India-Mercedes   1m 37.720s 22 laps
12. Grosjean   Lotus-Renault   1m 37.910s 21 laps
13. Gutierrez   Sauber-Ferrari   1m 38.056s 18 laps
14. Juncadella   Force India-Mercedes   1m 38.083s 23 laps
15. van der Garde   Sauber-Ferrari   1m 38.328s 19 laps
16. Bianchi    Marussia-Ferrari   1m 38.917s 12 laps
17. Massa   Williams-Mercedes   1m 39.461s 7 laps
18. Chilton    Marussia-Ferrari   1m 39.814s 24 laps
19. Ericsson   Caterham-Renault   1m 40.597s 19 laps
20. Robin Frijns   Netherlands Caterham-Renault   1m 42.261s 11 laps
21. Susie Wolff   Williams-Mercedes   1m 44.212s 4 laps
22. Maldonado   Lotus-Renault   No time 2 laps

History made somewhat by Susie Wolff, albeit briefly as she took her Williams out in FFP1.  We don't know what she may have been able to do though since she had oil issues on her 4th lap.  Williams had a bad practice session in general because Massa crashed his Williams a few laps later at the exit of Stowe, badly enough to red-flag the session briefly.  He was able to walk away, which is good.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »
Except for perhaps having Bottas in there somewhere, that is about how I expect it to finish this weekend...of course we will see.   :crazy: :crazy:

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
Those two practice sessions were quite eventful.  A lot of mechanical problems for various drivers, and, of course, Massa's accident.

Mercedes should win this easily, but how much will that loss of practice time hamper Hamilton?  I don't think that it will, but both drivers look very closely matched to me.  I'm not sure who's going to take pole.

Alonso looks quite good for Ferrari, but the Scuderia has flattered to deceive before on Friday.  Maybe he can beat the Red Bulls this time though?  What do you reckon?  Raikkonen is still struggling badly with the other car however.

Everyone else is more or less where I think that we all would have expected, but I am surprised that McLaren don't have more new parts for this race.  I thought that they might be pushing harder.  I get the impression that they're already diverting resources to the 2015 car.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
I would agree.  I don't know if they had more of what they would have done in FF1 going on with Massa and Bottas.  I hope so.

Times from FFP2:
1. Hamilton   Mercedes-Mercedes   1m 34.508s 14 laps
2. Rosberg    Mercedes-Mercedes   1m 34.736s 35 laps
3. Alonso   Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 35.224s 32 laps
4. Ricciardo   Red Bull-Renault   1m 35.511s 11 laps
5. Vettel   Red Bull-Renault   1m 35.627s 27 laps
6. Bottas   Williams-Mercedes   1m 36.016s 33 laps
7. Button   McLaren-Mercedes   1m 36.228s 34 laps
8. Magnussen   McLaren-Mercedes   1m 36.299s 35 laps
9. Raikkonen   Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 36.554s 29 laps
10. Vergne    Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 36.583s 26 laps
11. Massa   Williams-Mercedes   1m 36.671s 29 laps
12. Kvyat   Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 36.778s 31 laps
13. Gutierrez   Sauber-Ferrari   1m 36.951s 35 laps
14. Maldonado   Lotus-Renault   1m 37.064s 35 laps
15. Grosjean   Lotus-Renault   1m 37.097s 33 laps
16. Perez    Force India-Mercedes   1m 37.236s 37 laps
17. Hulkenberg   Force India-Mercedes   1m 37.449s 27 laps
18. Sutil   Sauber-Ferrari   1m 37.520s 25 laps
22. Bianchi   Marussia-Ferrari   1m 38.658s 11 laps
20. Kobayashi   Caterham-Renault   1m 39.068s 31 laps
21. Chilton   Marussia-Ferrari   1m 39.224s 28 laps
22. Ericsson   Caterham-Renault   1m 39.762s 21 laps

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »
Incredible qualifying thanks to the weather.
Both Williams out in Q1, along with both Ferraris.

Hamilton stuck in 6th with Rosberg on the pole.
Vettel finally gets lucky to secure P2 for the start tomorrow.

I am really happy to see them enforcing the track limits and disallowing the times posted if a driver gets all four wheels off the circuit.

Results, minus any penalties (?):
1. Rosberg    Mercedes-Mercedes   1m 35.766s
2. Vettel   Red Bull-Renault    1m 37.386s
3. Button   McLaren-Mercedes   1m 38.200s
4. Hulkenberg   Force India-Mercedes   1m 38.329s
5. Magnussen   McLaren-Mercedes   1m 38.417s
6. Hamilton   Mercedes-Mercedes    1m 39.232s
7. Perez   Force India-Mercedes   1m 40.457s
8. Ricciardo   Red Bull-Renault    1m 40.606s
9. Kvyat   Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 40.707s
10. Vergne    Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 40.855s
11. Grosjean   Lotus-Renault   1m 38.496s
12. Bianchi     Marussia-Ferrari   1m 38.709s
13. Chilton    Marussia-Ferrari   1m 39.800s*
14. Gutierrez   Sauber-Ferrari   1m 40.912s**
15. Maldonado   Lotus-Renault   1m 44.018s
16. Sutil   Sauber-Ferrari   No time
17. Bottas   Williams-Mercedes   1m 45.318s
18. Massa   Williams-Mercedes   1m 45.695s
19. Alonso    Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 45.935s
20. Raikkonen   Ferrari-Ferrari   1m 46.684s
21. Ericsson   Caterham-Renault   1m 49.421s
22. Kobayashi   Caterham-Renault   1m 49.625s

Interestingly enough, I don't believe there is a single time recorded that means a thing.  All of the mess of qualifying had to do with weather.

Racing should be quite interesting.
How long can Vettel and Button hold off the Mercedes of Hamilton?
How long will it take for the Williams & Ferrari duos to make it up into the top ten and how far will they be able to climb?

Bianci and Chilton were impressive and one has to wonder how they will fair in the race, realizing of course that the two Williams and at least one of the Ferrari pair will pass them in short order once they have caught up.

All-in-all, the racing looks promising.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:31:26 PM by J.Clark »

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
Wow...tweaked my picks, but it's really going to be a gamble tomorrow for the GG, especially if rain is involved.   :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »
I think it is supposed to be a dry race.  Cool under partly cloudy skies.

My biggest concern is a hope that cool heads prevail.  It is a long race and Massa, Bottas, Alonso (and maybe Kimi, if he is in the mood) all know how to claw their way to the front without doing it on lap one.  It is going to be very tight from turn 2 on toward the Hanger Straight, where things may get sorted out a bit.

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 12:25:05 AM »

Count me in among the ones who appreciate your good work, brilliant  :good: :good:

:good: :good:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
After the penalties have been applied:
Row 1
1. Rosberg    Mercedes-Mercedes   
2. Vettel   Red Bull-Renault

Row 2
3. Button   McLaren-Mercedes
4. Hulkenberg   Force India-Mercedes

Row 3
5. Magnussen   McLaren-Mercedes
6. Hamilton   Mercedes-Mercedes   

Row 4
7. Perez   Force India-Mercedes
8. Ricciardo   Red Bull-Renault

Row 5
9. Kvyat   Toro Rosso-Renault   
10. Vergne    Toro Rosso-Renault

Row 6
11. Grosjean   Lotus-Renault
12. Bianchi    Marussia-Ferrari

Row 7
13. Sutil    Sauber-Ferrari
14. Bottas    Williams-Mercedes

Row 8
15. Massa    Williams-Mercedes
16. Alonso    Ferrari-Ferrari

Row 9
17. Chilton    Marussia-Ferrari  |-(
18. Raikkonen   Ferrari-Ferrari   

Row 10
19. Gutierrez    Sauber-Ferrari  |-(
20. Maldonado   Lotus-Renault  |-(

Row 11
21. Ericsson   Caterham-Renault
22. Kobayashi   Caterham-Renault

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »
Well.  I wonder if Vettel ever imagined a guy named Bottas would be leading him in the WDC standings?  I wonder if this time last year Ferrari could have imagined that they have a very slim 2point lead over Williams and that they will probably lose their standing in the WCC to Williams in one of the next 2 or 3 races?

The BBC was going on and on about how we were robbed of the race we wanted to see, but to be quite honest, I didn't want to watch Hamilton and Rosberg battle for 1&2 again, and was quite pleased to see two other teams on the podium as well.

Niki and Eddie Jordan are both idiots for even discussing race control's decision to repair the armco.  Niki of course thought it was stupid to wait an hour to replace a little part of the armco that somebody might have a zillion to 1 chance of hitting again, and of course Eddie was a moron to suggest that if that actually happened and people died, what should Niki say to their families (so I guess Eddie reads the rags if he comes up with that for a response).  For gawd's sake boys give it a rest.  If it says in the regulations that the Armco around the track should be replaced in an accident if it is damaged dangerously, then REPLACE IT.  If Alonso overshoots his grid slot, then of course, he should have a penalty, no matter how much that hurts our hearts.  Glad he got a 5sec added to a pit stop.  Why don't they use that one more often?  He only lost about 4 places. 

I don't care for Vettel's whining about Alonso being too aggressive defending his position...it is his right, and um, how many times have we seen Vettel make super aggressive passes or defences (plenty).  I liked it, and I think most of the F1 fan base dug their fingers into the couch arms when it happened.  It was fantastic racing, fun to watch and we can only imagine the grin Alonso had on his face while he was doing it.  If you don't like how Alonso defends, then don't try to pass him  :P :P :P

Really sorry to see Kimi have his accident.  Of course Massa said he should have slowed down, but really, the Silverstone grounds crew should look at the way they grade grass and little drainage ditches around the track.  Above all it should have been safe to reenter the track at high speed when he was wide on the asphalt.  If it isn't, then they should put the gravel back in so a driver that goes wide there can't rejoin the track.  Really glad to see Massa almost avoid him, because it would have been very very ugly.  I don't really like that Massa feels the need to criticize Kimi.  The ditch surprised Kimi as much as anyone.  I expect now that Bottas has more than double the points Massa has that he will really start to crank up the whining at just about anything.  I know he's had some bad luck and perhaps Bottas less so, but anyhow...

Ricciardo - great job as usual.  Outshined Vettel once again.  I missed the bit of the race where he leapfrogged Vettel I guess, I suppose during pit stops, but regardless, he just keeps going and going.  Vettel did a good job to get by Alonso, but I loved the battle.

Hamilton.  Did what he had to do to profit from Rosberg's bad luck.  Perfect race, well deserved win.  We can be happy the battle for WDC is even closer now.

Like Wizzo, I give Alonso and Bottas the stars of the race.  Loved it.  :good: :good:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:20:33 PM by scott »

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 02:10:21 AM »
It was a pretty awesome race in all.
I didn't like that Massa was out - he very nearly missed Kimi completely - just about feet to the right would have done it.  I imagine that he would have been up there with Bottas at race end even though he had what was his worst start that I can remember.

There was some really exciting racing behind Rosberg.  Too bad he had the transmission troubles as he had the race well in hand.  Lewis was lucky.  Even though he was closing in, I think it was probably to do with the transmission issues on Rosberg's car.

Alonso/Vettel - epic!  I loved it.  It showed what a total whiner Vettel is.

Ricciardo beating him again, pulling out another five championship points on Vettel.

I totally agree that the ditch Kimi hit, nearly launching him should not be such that it would cause an accident.  Kimi should have expected to be able to pull back onto the race surface at speed without worry.

It did seem that there were a lot of retirements, six I think, from only two accidents.

It is good to see that Kimi will be okay, as well as Massa since they could each have suffered severely in that crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle