collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 600
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pirelli, Lotus Test 18 Inch Wheels  (Read 2647 times)

Offline cosworth151

Pirelli, Lotus Test 18 Inch Wheels
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »
Charles Pic tested a Lotus shod with 18 inch wheels. the test happened on the last day of testing at Silverstone.

Pirelli says they could have 18, 19 or even 20 inch tires ready for the 2016 season.

They do give the car a distinctive look. Pirelli reported that the car needed only slight suspension changes.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/105304-early-debut-for-18-inch-tyre-possible

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Pirelli, Lotus Test 18 Inch Wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
Hot Wheels...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:20:01 AM »
If I am not wrong wasn't it Michelin who wanted bigger tyres? Also have increased diameter, wouldn't it be a bit of hindrance to the aerodynamics for current cars? And most important of all why do you need to change the size of the tyre? What are they trying to achieve?
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:38:38 AM »
I'm confused, and this article doesn't clarify it for me.  They are talking about bigger, 18" 'tires', yet according the the FIA, the tires are already 26.4" (670mm).  The rims are currently 13". 

If they are talking about bringing the rim size up to 18", which is what it looks like in the photo to me, then the tire size does not have to significantly change, in fact the photo suggests a much lower profile tire on a larger rim, so I suspect the tire size change is minimal.  The handling of the tire will be significantly different, with much smaller air chamber and very little sidewall camber.

The author of the article has made a mess of it, by referring to 'rubber', when I think he is talking about the component of the wheel that is anything but rubber.  Loves his jargon, but apparently is only confusing the issue...or have I got it wrong?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »
He didn't do a very good job of it. They are talking about increased wheel diameter and decreased sidewall height. The overall tire diameter would remain about the same. This would put the F1 tires more in line with current production, low profile high performance tires.

The major hitch might be that the tall, relatively flexible sidewalls of the current tires provide much of the travel in the suspension. Modern F1 cars are so strongly sprung that there is very little movement in the actual suspension components.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »

The major hitch might be that the tall, relatively flexible sidewalls of the current tires provide much of the travel in the suspension. Modern F1 cars are so strongly sprung that there is very little movement in the actual suspension components.

As soon as I saw the photo I thought that'll end the carer of any driver with a back problem.  :o  Probably give back problems to the rest as well unless they add more to F1's car suspension travel, Newey ain't gonna be happy.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle