collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 364
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hockenheim 2014  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Hockenheim 2014
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
With you there Scott, great race and plenty going on, a zero for me was Mercedes bringing Hamilton in early for his last tyre change, if they'd have left him out as expected he may have got 2nd, with better tyres, not to take anything away from Bottas though, he deserved his place.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Willy

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »
It was a heart stopping moment when Massa's car flipped and slid upside down. I was happy to see it right itself.
1st star to the FIA safety regs that make the monocoque so strong and able to withstand those kind of impacts. For a very brief second I was afraid we were about to see our first F1 death since Senna.
Great racing today and some dicing that has not been evident in many races these days with the regs as they are.
Yes, the old configurations of the older tracks were usually better and more fun for the drivers as racers, but it is a waste of effort to lament what was. The new layouts work for viewing and safety and a long track through the forest makes it very difficult for emergency workers or vehicles to get where that may be needed. At the very least it puts more financial pressure on the track with the added manpower and vehicle costs and as such increases ticket costs for the fans.
Hamilton showed his talent as he scythed his way through the field to go from 20 - 3.
A great day for Germany with the 1st time since before WWII that a German driver, in a German car won the German GP.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »
I don't get on the chat Scott, because we have a group of people at our house watching the race, that would be a bit rude of me, right (?).

Fantastic race with a lot going on from start to finish.  Several duals were very exciting to watch.

Turn 1 - I agree with Scott on the incident being the fault of Mag.  Massa had the corner and since he was ahead of Mag, it would have been Mag's responsibility to not hit him - should have seen and known that Massa would go for the apex.  Furthermore, for those would say that Massa should have left room, at about 50 mph, peripheral vision becomes nearly none existent and they were well over that speed.  Massa would not have seen Mag in his peripherals even if he had gotten his left front wheel next to Massa's cockpit, which he didn't.  Impact was made when he left front was just ahead of Massa's right rear.

I don't favor Lewis, but I have to give him credit for a terrific race, having started 20th and finishing 3rd.  I even heard him apologize on the radio for hitting Button, taking blame for it.  If he keeps that up, I may have to revise my opinion of him.

Ricciardo drove a great race and watching him battle with Alonso was very exciting.  That is what racing should be like - mutual respect for each other without giving an inch.  I would be willing to bet that he was grinning ear-to-ear while that was going on.

Bottas did a good job running effectively 2nd from flag-to-flag.  His second place finish, in spite of Massa getting a goose egg on the day, put Williams ahead of Ferrari in the Constructors points.

Lotus really bad!
Sauber bad!

Vettel is lucky that Ricciardo went wide to avoid Massa.  Had that not happened, Vettel would have been another place down and farther behind his teammate in the WDC - can't believe he said a few days ago that he hasn't given up on defending his title.

Alonso is not one of my favorites either, but he is a hellofagood driver.  He is punching well above his weight.  Kimi has become a very big disappointment.  He looked very strong most of Friday and then things just went down hill like a run-a-way train.  I did feel bad for him today, as he kept winding up in some really hairy situations, like being sandwiched in a three-wide at the hairpin.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Dare

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
Not the best race but up there.At first I
thought it was Mag's fault but changed my
mind in the replays.

It's gearing up for a close finish this year[I
hope the double points don't factor in]

Can'twait for race chat next week at  Hungry...
Hope Wiz is there :good:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »
Understood J. Clark...hadn't thought of that scenario.  Maybe prod a few of your fellow fans to join us here on the forum.  :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 08:47:09 AM »
I am amazed..... not one conspiracy theory.
Well here is mine:-
Zeroes - Race management for not putting out the safety car when Sutil spun. It was a very dangerous situation and got worse with marshals running across the track. Why no Safety car; could it be because a German was winning the German GP?

Offline Scott

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
Good point Monty.  A number of us on chat were amazed they call a SC out for next to nothing at many races, but local yellows when they have a car sitting sideways on the main straight and are sending marshals across the track with an oncoming car only a couple corners away.  That was absolutely nuts.   |-( |-( |-( |-(

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
Just a curious question - has anyone heard a good excuse for the pole lap of Rosberg NOT being disallowed for him obviously having all four wheels well outside of the white lines?

He would probably still have won, but it would have taken him a few laps to get through the nine cars ahead of him on the grid.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
At the beginning of the week-end, the stewards announced that, in their judgement, there was no advantage to be gained by moving outside of the lines. Therefore, they didn't enforce that rule for the entire race meet.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
Well, that doesn't work for me.  The advantage gained by having a wider track is simply that the driver can take the corner at a higher speed.  This isn't rocket science.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
I agree. There should be consistency in enforcement.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »
I didn't know about the steward announcement, but it was clear they weren't bothering with cars that went all 4 wheels over during Q or the race.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 05:47:47 PM »
As I keep saying, put the gravel back, and the drivers won't go off the track, because it will damage their cars and/or cover their tyres with stones.

Back to the race.

The midfield fight was impressive, thanks mainly to Hamilton's charge through the field, but also Alonso's battle with Ricciardo.  I really enjoyed watching those two battle it out, and there was no complaining this time, just proper racing.  Really enjoyable stuff.

The tension is never the same though when watching the highlights.  I still get so frustrated by Sky having taken all the live races.  It's really irritating.

They didn't need a safety car to recover Sutil's Sauber.  They deploy the safety car too readily these days in my opinion.  It was needed after the heart stopping first corner accident though.  Massa's luck is just awful this year.  Other drivers just keep crashing into him.

Another great drive by Bottas, but Rosberg and Mercedes were too good again.  Hamilton needs to stop messing up in qualifying.  He can't keep making life so easy for Rosberg at the front.

Finally, rumours are that there could be driver changes at Sauber.  Neither Sutil nor Gutierrez has impressed this season, so they may have nothing to lose by getting in a replacement.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »

Hamilton needs to stop messing up in qualifying.  He can't keep making life so easy for Rosberg at the front.

This time really wasn't his fault...it was quite clear in the replays that he had a brake failure.  And after that, he did really make the most of the race, if anything his team, and th e idiotic decision to not bring the SC out for Sutil's car cost Hammy 2nd and maybe even the win.

Finally, rumours are that there could be driver changes at Sauber.  Neither Sutil nor Gutierrez has impressed this season, so they may have nothing to lose by getting in a replacement.
. Except money...hopefully some big Swiss companies are signing up for stickers on the Saubers.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »
Agreed, this time wasn't his fault.  I meant in previous races where he'd made a mistake.  I should have made that clearer.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle