collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 569
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Halfway Home.  (Read 950 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Halfway Home.
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
Here are a few random thoughts at the halfway mark of the season.

On the human side, Daniel Ricciardo must surely be the story of the year. He has come into R/B and thoroughly seen off his 4 time WDC team mate. His duel with Alonso, cutting and diving for position without any contact was remarkable. NBC showed Will Buxton asking him about it after the race and he had an ear to ear grin the whole time. First class.

On the equipment side the story must be the Mercedes engines. Yes the Merc cars are excellent, but the engines clearly have more power than their rivals and have been remarkably reliable. Splitting the turbo may be the idea of the season. Second must be the resurgence of Williams. Great new sponsor and livery, and a car that is very competitive. I look forward to seeing them at SPA and Monza.

Fortune so far has favored Nico, if his luck continues he will probably be WDC. I think he has battled Lewis in a manner few people expected. Lewis is clearly faster, but Nico races very well, rather like Button. Magnussen has shown good speed, often qualifying ahead of Jens, but Button nearly always comes out ahead in the race. Racecraft must be learned.

The performance of Ricciardo makes me wonder about other drivers in 2ND or 3RD tier cars. How many of them would be really quick in a Merc or Bull? Kvyat has had some very good runs in the Toro Rosso for a rookie, and of course Bianchi has scored points for Marussia. I just wonder.

Here's to an interesting 2ND half.  :good: :good:

Lonny

Offline Scott

Re: Halfway Home.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:33:18 PM »
Great idea for a post Lonny.  State of F1...

Daniel really has been the surprise of the season.  Nobody could have predicted his success and against his teammate, 4-time WDC.  He should get a toothpaste personal sponsor if one hasn't already signed him up...seriously, he is one the first F1 driver in my memory that seems to be enjoying every moment, podium finish or not.  He really comes across as a guy who loves the sport.  How refreshing is THAT?

Conspiracy theorists would have one believe that Merc had a big hand in the latest engine regs because they knew they could do it better than anyone else.  I think Renault just failed this year, still struggling with the fact that they just get an office in the RBR motorhome and not one of their own, while Ferrari has had some engine department challenges for more than a couple seasons.

I think if Lewis could get his head back in the game and start ditching his distractions, especially when he is in a car that could win him another championship, he would do much better.  Stop worrying about how he's going to shave his beard for each GP, or which sunglasses to wear, where his dog is going to be during the GP and what hat he wants Merc to give him that doesn't have that horrible Petronas colour in it.  I think you're right though Lonny, Nico just seems to have it on this season, and Lewis will have to be absolutely perfect to have a chance.

Can't wait to see how the rest unfolds...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

Re: Halfway Home.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:07:05 AM »
All the talk is how Vettel is handlingDaniel besting
him but I wonder how Massa willif Bottas keeps
making Felipelooklike the #2driver.

If Button gets replaced willhe hang it up or settle in
with 2nd rate team?Could Button replace Massa at Williams?

At wonder if Ferrari will have 2 new drivers next year?Alona
wants more championships and Ferrari can't supply him with a car
to fullfill it.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle