collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 317
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Youngest F1 Driver in history joins STR for 2015  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Scott

Youngest F1 Driver in history joins STR for 2015
« on: August 19, 2014, 08:25:10 AM »
Sorry, I don't care how good he is (or who's son he is), at 17 he is not ready for the F1 shark tank.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/28844722

A story from the believers is below...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115436

Seats filling up doesn't bode well for Di Resta
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:58:20 AM by scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

Re: Youngest F1 Driver in history joins STR for 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:18:06 PM »
I know it's not a 100% parallel case, but Wayne Gretzky played top level professional hockey at 17 years old, and that turned out well.

Granted, playing in the WHA in Indianapolis isn't quite the same as stepping into millions of dollars of engineering where forgiveness is rare.

I'm just pointing out that it's not an automatic fail.

If you consider the age Kimi and Alonso joined the sport, and the fact that we're following a path they blazed, there is room for a 17 year old in the F1 shark tank. 

I don't think it's a good idea, but don't think it's a bad one out of hand.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:56:58 PM »
Wonder why F1 is the hand-me-down sport?  More sons of former drivers have come through F1 than any sport I can think of. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »
Wonder why F1 is the hand-me-down sport?  More sons of former drivers have come through F1 than any sport I can think of.

Because motorsport is expensive and former F1 drivers usually have more dollars and are more willing than the rest of us to throw it in the pot for their sons to develop through the lower formula.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »

How many doctors have parents who are doctors?  How many soldiers join the army to follow in the footsteps of their fathers?  Teachers?  Brick layers?  Politicians?  (FYI Scott, put money on Justin Trudeau to be the next PM of Canada)

Besides that though, motorracing is a ridiculously expensive sport to participate in.  When it comes to raising money through sponsorship, having a famous name helps.  Being able to afford that extra set of tires, that replacement transmission, or a properly straightened frame is the difference betweeen a champion and also ran Kart racer.  Winning at the lower levels leads to winning at the upper levels, and voila, a next generation racer has 'earned' their way to the top.

(I don't mean any disrespect when I put earned in quotes.  These drivers do very well, and I'm sure they would love to race on their own talents, not the family name.  I don't blame them for taking advantage of the gifts they have.  I know I'd do the same  ;) )

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »
Understand your points, just that you don't see that many sons in other SPORTS.  Sure, cops have cop sons, Dr's have Dr kids, Lawyers etc...makes sense when you get to see how Dad (or Mom) work. 

...hmmm, maybe F1 isn't a sport after all!! It's just a job... :crazy: :crazy:

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
Understand your points, just that you don't see that many sons in other SPORTS.  Sure, cops have cop sons, Dr's have Dr kids, Lawyers etc...makes sense when you get to see how Dad (or Mom) work. 

...hmmm, maybe F1 isn't a sport after all!! It's just a job... :crazy: :crazy:

I guess motorsports is one of the few careers where affluence really can get you ahead.

Most other sports, you're not going to win the championship/notoriety because of better equipment.

In junior hockey in Canada a lot of teams are now owned by former NHLers.  They are giving preferential treatment to their sons and nephews who might not otherwise earn a spot in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL.  This is creating is an influx of next generation NHL players, although few of them are making the same impact as their fathers/uncles.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 10:50:30 AM »
Sorry, I don't care how good he is (or who's son he is), at 17 he is not ready for the F1 shark tank.

I fear you may indeed be proved correct Scott, I read this as Red Bull pushing some marketing agenda and never mind the consequences.  :(

What about all the other Red Bull juniors who have been putting in seriously good performances: Carlos Sainz Jnr in GP3 and now WSR 3.5; Antonio Felix da Costa outperforming his machinery in WSR 3.5 last year but now languishing in DTM; or indeed Alex Lynn who is easily leading GP3 this season, in his rookie year, after several years in lower single seat categories when he has always been there or there abouts.  :confused:

Now can any of the above drivers afford to give up Red Bull sponsorship, which is what it will take for any of them to get a realistic shot at F1 in the next couple of years, so they'll have to wait for young max to crash and burn - not literally though I hope.  ;)
Whilst Red Bull money certainly helps driver development it can also be a ball & chain as well - ask Jaime Algersuari.  :D

Another big point to both this new teenage signing and Kyvat's promotion from GP3 is the viability of GP2. How on earth can the teams in GP2 justify the huge price for seats in that series when it is clearly no longer the feeder for F1? :DntKnw:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
I am sceptical.  A race seat at seventeen seems like a massive risk to me.  There's so much development and visual awareness that's still going on at that age physically, never mind mentally.  I have concerns about Grosjean/Maldonado type accidents with this guy as a result.  The amount of wheel-to-wheel racing experience he has is worryingly limited.

I'm quite surprised really.  His father made his debut too early, and would probably admit it as much if you asked him.  Why, therefore, has he not advised his son to gain more experience I wonder?  I could be proved completely wrong, but this has 'way too soon' written all over it.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 06:28:32 AM »
FP1?  I think it will be a long time before I'm a fan of young Mr. Verstappen.  At the moment to me he is just a marketing gimmick.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
FP1?  I think it will be a long time before I'm a fan of young Mr. Verstappen.  At the moment to me he is just a marketing gimmick.

All drivers must earn their fan base.

I remember similar hoopla about Kimi getting his super liscence and doing his school work in the Sauber motorhome.

Everyone seems to think the point of small teams is bringing talent into the sport:  well STR is a small team, and they're trying to bring talent into the sport.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle