collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 404
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hamilton vs Rosberg @ Spa  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Scott

Hamilton vs Rosberg @ Spa
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:14:08 PM »
I watched the lap one replays they showed at the end of the race, so I don't have the entire picture yet...not sure how Rosberg passed Vettel, since Vettel had him on the first corner, but here's how I see it: 

Rosberg attempted the pass on Hammy, slid back as it wasn't going to happen there, but instead of just lifting and slotting in behind, he tried to keep his speed (probably because he was so impatient that he wanted to give it a go at the very next corner).  Hammy came over when Rosberg wasn't yet out of the way and well...pop goes the tire.  That said, there was a slight wiggle by Rosberg during the moment he was falling back and you could say that was caused by a slight loss of traction, or the conspirators would say Rosberg was trying a bump pass of sorts.  I will assume it was the former.  If it was the former, then that's it, racing incident.  Merc may not have liked that it happened so early, but what difference does it really make if it was destined to happen at all?  Why do they care if their drivers take each other out on lap 3 or lap 53?  Not very helpful at either end of the GP.

Again, I only saw the two replays, the one off the grid and then the attempted pass of Hamilton.  Off the grid it seemed like Hamilton easily had Rosberg and even had Vettel between them.  For Rosberg to have made up so much time within the same lap and cut Hamiltons tire?  Well, I don't know what could have happened to Hamilton to have let Rosberg so close so quick.  Point being Mr. Hamilton, if you don't want that kind of thing to happen, don't let him get so bloody close.

So, if I have it all out of context, be nice to me, I will watch the race tomorrow and get it all sorted out. 

Have at 'er...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:16:01 PM by scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

Re: Hamilton vs Rosberg @ Spa
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
I didn't see anything different than the Lewis v's Vettel at the same corner when Vettel did the right thing and bailed out. Rosbergs statement that it was intentional has amazed me and shows his arrogance he needs pegging back a bit.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
Rosberg's statement didn't say it was intentional.  Hamilton's did.  Rosberg said it was a racing incident and he didn't see the pass attempt as risky.  Merc bosses said it was far too aggressive, but in fact that any reports of Rosberg saying he did it on purpose have been misinterpreted.  Most reports from the team meeting between them all suggest that Rosberg said he opted to not let off when he found himself on the outside and that Hamilton should have given him space to stay there.  That he stayed there intentionally was probably true.

I can't remember where I saw it, but somewhere it was written that the team even changed Rosberg's tire strategy on the last stop to intentionally give him tires that wouldn't win.  I find that a bit insane, but you just never know...

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »
Lewis was tight on the kerb and on the racing line. What's he supposed to do, brake and let Rosberg through ?
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »
A racing incident in which Rosberg misjudged a couple things.  Hamilton gave him no room, but he was not required to do so.  Comparing it to the same turn pass of Vettel is a bit different, as they were side-by-side with  the attacker completely along side at the apex of the first of the two corners, and Rosberg never got completely along side of Hamilton.  In fact, he barely had his front wheel next to the cockpit of Hamilton's car.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »

Now a vid has appeared of the incident, so anyone who hasn't been able to watch it again fill your boots. Well for as long as Bernie's little grey suits allow us to anyways.  ;)

Now where oh where did Nico think that outside line led to?  :crazy:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »
Lewis is a racer, if there's a chance he'll take it but I cannot see how any blame can be attached to him over this, there was just no way round the outside because of the left hand corner following. Rosberg's fault. Dummy  |-(
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
I wasn't really attaching blame to Lewis.  What I meant was how did Lewis even allow Rosberg to catch up to him so quickly?  Rosberg was a dickhead during and after the race.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
Lewis claims that Nico said he hit Lewis on purpose. Merc appears to be siding with Lewis:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/28921431
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 07:48:27 PM »
lol...that ought to take it down to a simmer.  Wolf and Lauda putting all the blame on Rosberg.  Bunch of amateurs if you ask me.  Keep the laundry at home, no need to do it in public.  I bet Rosberg is feeling ever so cooperative towards them after THAT.  :fool: :fool:

I read that article before Cos, but I've read quite a few that quote Rosberg as saying it wasn't on purpose, but he didn't back off to prove the point.  So that's a bit open to interpretation, though I would say he did it by negligence by making that poor decision to not back off at that point.  I'm not trying to split hairs, but I found that BBC article a bit one sided (surprise, surprise).

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »
On one hand, I understand how important it is for teams to work as a team, and win in the name of the team.

On the other hand, it's great to have something to talk about like this.  We've got 2 conflicting stories of who said what.  We've got teammates who were supposedly best buddies in lower Formulae and now appear to heading down the road of becoming irreconcilable antagonists.  We've got national conflicts.  We've got management picking sides.

If I didn't know better, I'd say this was orchastrated to keep Mercedes at the top of the sports news cycle.  I'm not entirely sure this will help sell cars, but they say there's no such thing as bad publicity.   :confused:

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 09:34:44 PM »
If I didn't know better, I'd say this was orchastrated to keep Mercedes at the top of the sports news cycle.  I'm not entirely sure this will help sell cars, but they say there's no such thing as bad publicity.   :confused:
On the BBC feed Eddie mentioned at one point that viewers were down something like 30% on RTL, so although I don't think the incident itself could have been scripted, the aftermath could have been.  You could be right Jeri.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »
There have been several incidents this year where Lewis chopped down quite aggressively on Nico. Only Nico taking evasive action prevented a collision. I think Nico is just tired of Lewis acting like he is the chosen one and Nico the supporting cast. If nothing else, Lewis should be a little more careful how hard he chops Nico in the future. I take Nico's side in this, Payback is a B+#@h. Oh, Hobbs and Matchett agreed it was a racing incident, 50/50 blame.
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 09:02:45 AM »
Sorry to come into this late but....
I was watching live on Sky and I am a neutral. When Rosberg started to go up Hamilton's outside I was asking where the h*ll is he going; it is impossible to pass there.
As Hamilton naturally took the racing line Rosberg had two easy options; lift and drop in behind Hamilton with no risk or let the car run a little wide (there is no kerb and about a metre of astroturf on the left) again with no risk. Instead he made two abrupt steering inputs both turning the car right. Even at the time I thought he was trying to spin Hamilton out. Having watched the replay many times I actually think he was trying to impact Hamilton's car wheel to wheel, which would definitely have caused Hamilton to spin.
I think Hamilton's fantastic start had just caused Rosberg to let the Red Mist develop. I now fear a Senna v Prost situation. The points situation means that Rosberg knows that he can risk to DNF as long as he makes sure Hamilton doesn't finish.
I really hope that the FIA exclude Rosberg from the points - it may be the only way the championship stays interesting.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:20:23 PM by monty »

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
Interesting theory Monty.  Not sure he was really trying to spin Lewis, I saw the steering correction as well, but that's what I thought it was, a correction.

But the way, Bottas passed Vettel there cleanly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle