collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 591
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Was Luca right?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Was Luca right?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:35:57 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I see what Luca was 'right' about?

As far as I can tell, the only decision mentioned was limiting Ferrari sales to 7000 units a year.

Why is 7000 a number that keeps it exclusive, but 8000 dilutes the brand and makes it worthless?

is 7000 a magic number set down by Enzo?

Is it the capacity that the current factory can handle while maintaining quality?

Is it a specific fraction of overall Fiat sales?

Is it a specific fraction of world wide auto sales?

Every other article about automobiles talk about the growing markets in India and China.  If there are more car buyers, then, to me, there must be more Ferraris.  If Ferraris make up a smaller percentage of cars on the road, then the magic of seeing one will dry up.

I don't want to see Ferrari become Porsche, selling sedans and SUVs just to capitalize on the name.  (Don't get me wrong, if that's what they want to do, I wouldn't blame them)  But Ferrari has two jobs:  winning races, and making money.  They haven't won enough races, and it seems that they haven't maximized the money they could make.  I should think that one out of two would have made Luca 'Right', but when he fails at both of his only two jobs?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
Enzo used to say that he would carefully determine the exact demand for a given model, and then build one less than that.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »
I believe the point is that under Luca Ferrari has been highly profitable, has produced iconic cars, become an extremely well known and well regarded brand, and enjoyed a great deal of racing success. Not a bad job of managing I'd say.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »
It's clear there is more to Luca's removal than just what we read.  Knowing how Luca interferes with the Ferrari F1 team management, perhaps he was also trying to still micro-manage Fiat after he was the interim CEO.  Maybe he couldn't get his fingers out of it all and ruffled too many feathers. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »
I believe the point is that under Luca Ferrari has been highly profitable, has produced iconic cars, become an extremely well known and well regarded brand, and enjoyed a great deal of racing success. Not a bad job of managing I'd say.

I get the feeling from the article that Ferrari was less profitable than it should be.  That's my problem with it, there is no real facts to prove he was right or wrong, just a disagreement saying that Luca era Ferrari should have made more money and won more races.

I want to to know WHY they sell 7000 Ferraris.  Selling 7000 isn't right or wrong in itself.  If there are 20,000 back orders, then, sellng 7000 seems wrong.  If there are 2,000 sitting on dealer lots, then selling 7000 also seems wrong.

I just don't see anything in the article supporting Luca's decisions at all, just a vague description of what he decided.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:37 PM »

I want to to know WHY they sell 7000 Ferraris.  Selling 7000 isn't right or wrong in itself.  If there are 20,000 back orders, then, sellng 7000 seems wrong.  If there are 2,000 sitting on dealer lots, then selling 7000 also seems wrong.

I'm guessing that the 7000 is set more by how the workforce can craft the cars at a profitable cost, remember the Ferrari production line is not a heavily robot automated one and most of the product is still individually made. There must be a limit the skilled experienced workforce can manufacture and the actual physical factory set up also may mean that number is optimum.

Often chasing higher numbers can cost in both a much higher investment and a lesser quality product, maybe Luca was not prepared to dilute the product - or just feared that might happen.

We've all heard of the phrase "Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs"  :D 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 02:01:25 AM »

I'm guessing that the 7000 is set more by how the workforce can craft the cars at a profitable cost, remember the Ferrari production line is not a heavily robot automated one and most of the product is still individually made. There must be a limit the skilled experienced workforce can manufacture and the actual physical factory set up also may mean that number is optimum.

Often chasing higher numbers can cost in both a much higher investment and a lesser quality product, maybe Luca was not prepared to dilute the product - or just feared that might happen.

We've all heard of the phrase "Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs"  :D

I can think of dozens of potential reasons why 7,000 is a magical number, but they're just guesses.  if Luca is 'right', then surely the article would include something.

If the new guy thinks 8,000 is the magic number, and Luca can only deliver 7,000, then he's got to go.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle