collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 520
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso May Be Lured To McLaren By Honda Cash  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Willy

Alonso May Be Lured To McLaren By Honda Cash
« on: September 28, 2014, 05:45:58 PM »
I read in F1 websites that Honda are willing to buy out Alonso's contract for 30 Mill Euros to get him in a Macca seat next season.

Smart for both Macca and Ferrari as the Red team could use the cash to get their cars up to the pointy end again and Honda has lots of it to throw around.
Now, can Alonso work with Ron once again?

Offline Scott

Re: Alonso May Be Lured To McLaren By Honda Cash
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:23:38 PM »
Now, can Alonso work with Ron once again?

You think Ferrari really need the money?  I don't think money is their problem, just personnel in engineering.  They need a superstar back in the top seat.  Maybe they can take the $30m and offer it to Newey as a signing bonus on top of the $25m or so per year they would have to offer him to show up in Maranello on a regular basis.

As for Ron, I would bet that Flavio and Ron would both write a contract that spelled out what sort of contact and communication Ron and Alonso would have with each other very carefully.  Ron can't afford another team implosion and Alonso can't afford to have to switch teams once again. 

Should Alonso do it?  Well, if I was looking at my retirement plans in the later stages of an F1 career, I would prefer to look forward to having access to Ferrari's factory/team/cars in my retirement than Honda's, but that's just me.  :crazy: :crazy:  Seriously?  Yeah, I would do it if I was him...I don't think Ferrari is going anywhere this year or next.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
Right now the Ferrari is better than the McLaren even though the McLaren has Merc power. Alonso has said they are making progress. The Honda will be a complete unknown. It may be a world beater, or it may be a lump. If I were Alonso I would consider only Merc and R/B over Ferrari.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »
It's a Hail Mary for Alonso for sure, but I don't think he would be able to get a seat at Merc or RBR.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
It's a Hail Mary for Alonso for sure, but I don't think he would be able to get a seat at Merc or RBR.

It would be a hard sell for Alonso to force out Ricciardo or Vettel at RBR for sure.

I think that Mercedes would happily pay off Rosberg to make way for Alonso.  I wouldn't have thought so earlier this year, but the Mercedes/Rosberg relationship seems to be pretty sour.  As far as I know Alonso and Hamilton have burried the hatchet, so that wouldn't be a problem.  (And as a fan, it would be fun to see if someone digs the hatchet back up)

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:42 AM »
I wonder if Lewis and Ron have truly buried the
hatchet?Alonso cost them a bunch of money when he ratted
on them and I doubt Ron is very forgiving
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 06:15:44 AM »
You know Jeri might be right.  If Merc decides Rosberg is the broken nut, they might just call in Alonso.  No shortage of cash and a car that can deliver might make Alonso consider teaming up with Hamilton.  Hamilton on the other side will be the one person in the team least likely to appreciate Alonso, as he is probably the most dangerous driver Hamilton could have in their chase for points.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:16:54 AM »
I doubt Ron is very forgiving

You're right of course Dare, it would be such a huge gamble for Ron to agree to work with Alonso again.  Mind you, we should hope Mclaren aren't cheating this time  ;) :D

Offline Vince

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »
I genuinely can't see Lewis and Ferdie working together again... If anything, he'll go to RBR as a straight swap for Vettel who has made no secret of his desire to don the red overalls...
The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.
Murray Walker

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »
I genuinely can't see Lewis and Ferdie working together again... If anything, he'll go to RBR as a straight swap for Vettel who has made no secret of his desire to don the red overalls...

Really?  I've only seen him say in one interview, and that was a few years ago, that 'of course, every F1 driver wants to eventually drive for Ferrari' (or something like that).  After winning 4 straight titles with RBR, I haven't heard him say a thing about driving for anyone else.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »

I think for the forseeable future, RBR will continue to promote drivers from within. Vettel and Ricciardo are both products of their 'system', so I'd say that it's working.

And I don't think that Ferrari wants RBR's second best driver; especially not a German driver when German interest in F1 seems to be waning.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle