collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 507
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Did Alonso cheat to gain 3rd after turn 1 in Singapore GP  (Read 1468 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Did Alonso cheat to gain 3rd after turn 1 in Singapore GP
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:15:48 PM »
Big Yes from me, but my son disagrees - who's right?  :DntKnw:

In my view Nando was carrying way too much speed into the first turn, it's the only reason he was slightly ahead of the Bulls, however he had no way of making the corner, hence he gained unfair advantage on both Seb & Dan.

My son countered with "it's always exciting and edgy at the start of races and this is no worse than lots of other drivers going off track and returning ahead of others".

I retorted "if that was Grosjean he would get a drive thru for reckless driving carrying that much speed towards the first turn, regardless of whether he gave a place back or not." My son's response surprised me; "There was never any danger of a shunt with either the front runners or the pack so where's the beef?"

I pointed out that it was a calculated cynical action to give away just the one place to Vettel, but keep 3rd. I'm sure I visibly winced when my son blurted out these words "well that's what F1 is all about really, do anything - good or bad - to try to gain places or a win"    :swoon:

Damon Hill, in the after race review on SkyF1, was unimpressed with Alonso's first corner antics, “He had the option of ducking out of the move because there’s run-off so in effect you could argue if obviously there was a brick wall there he wouldn’t have braked so late,” 1996 World Champion Hill suggested.

“This is one of the problems with run-offs. I’m certain he would have tried to make it round the corner but the question is whether or not by making run-offs driver get an unfair advantage in situations like that. I think he should have relinquished both of the positions, not just the one.”

Johnny Herbert also agreed with Damon that Alonso should have dropped back behind both Red Bulls. 

Thought's anyone? 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:24:20 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

Re: Did Alonso cheat to gain 3rd after turn 1 in Singapore GP
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »
I'm with you on this one John.Alonso acts
as if chicanes aren't there at some races.

I remember at Monaco when battling Schumi for
the title that lap after lap he cut the chicane right
after the tunnel I believe.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
Really this takes us back to complaining about the circuits. If there was no run-off he couldn't have cut the corner.
I think it was a deliberate tactic for Alonso. He did the same thing last year. I'm sure if he could have kept on track he would have but he knows that by being out wide if anything goes wrong he can straight line the corner, which is exactly what he did.
In my opinion he gained two places but only gave back one.
I know a gravel trap isn't an option on a road circuit but these painted areas are just as fast as the track and everything has to be left to the stewards. I would prefer these run-off areas to have some rumble strips that really demand the driver to slow down. In my opinion, taking to the run-off area should make them lose places, not gain places!

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:10:24 PM »
Yeah, I'll jump on the bandwagon.  I think Alonso should have given way to Daniel as well.  Agreed as well that there should be more penalty for cutting chicanes.  Big bumps that beat the heck out of the car or a few sand filled cones or posts that the driver has to navigate around...just enough weight to take off a front wing if he isn't going slow enough and careful enough.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »
Better solution- get rid of the d2345d chicanes.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »
Until the FIA actually make it so the circuits punish drivers for mistakes, this kind of thing will keep happening.  Remember Raikkonen's antics at the start of the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix, where he made up all those places at the start by driving off the track and didn't get a penalty?  There are other examples too.

Move the barriers closer to the track or put the gravel traps back.  Problem solved.
Sońando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle