collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 327
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Coultard Says Make Cars Faster  (Read 3009 times)

Offline cosworth151

Coultard Says Make Cars Faster
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
David Coultard has come up with a fine idea to make driving F1 harder. Just make the cars faster.

Forget about the nonsense of banning radio use. The former McLaren and Red Bull driver even thinks the radio clampdown is counterproductive, as it removes one of F1's "technological advancements" only to replace it with "another layer of bureaucracy and red tape.”

"If someone offered you the chance to get rid of Internet banking and go back to just making all your transactions the old-fashioned way, via a cashier, would you accept? Of course you wouldn't," said Coulthard.

"In my opinion, if you want to make the cars harder to drive, make them faster. It is ironic that they are trying to find ways of making life more difficult for the drivers when the actual cars are slower than they were back in 2004," added Coulthard.

It would seem that DC has pointed out the Emperor's New Clothes.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/david-coulthard-says-faster-cars-would-make-formula-one-harder

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Coultard Says Make Cars Faster
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:34:25 PM »
But that goes against all contemporary thinking with regards to safety, fuel consumption, noise...well, you know what I'm getting at.

Hail Ye DC!  Now say it LOUDER!
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »
An interesting thought... the FIA's main purpose is not running F1, but encouraging safe motoring world wide.  I don't know about other countries, but right now, in Canada, they're going very hard on the idea that 'distracted driving' (that is, using a phone while driving) is a leading cause of injury and death on the road. 

While I agree that an F1 driver is entirely capable of safely having a meaningful conversation with their engineer while driving an F1, in light of an increased awareness of automobile safety, there is a logic in the FIA cutting down on 'disctracted driving' in terms of their over all raison d'etre.

But F1 cars should be super fast.  Like ridiculously fast, like if the best driver in the world (or Lewis Hamilton) were to drive one at top speed, it would be a beast to control.  In my view, an F1 car should only reach top speed on the very longest straight aways.  The rest of the time, the driver is forced to reign in the monstrous power at his control.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »
An interesting thought... the FIA's main purpose is not running F1, but encouraging safe motoring world wide.  I don't know about other countries, but right now, in Canada, they're going very hard on the idea that 'distracted driving' (that is, using a phone while driving) is a leading cause of injury and death on the road. 

While I agree that an F1 driver is entirely capable of safely having a meaningful conversation with their engineer while driving an F1, in light of an increased awareness of automobile safety, there is a logic in the FIA cutting down on 'disctracted driving' in terms of their over all raison d'etre.

Two thoughts on that. 

First of all in Canada they should jack the speed limits up to match the roads, and then maybe the drivers wouldn't get so bored driving 100kph in a 140 zone that they wouldn't pull out their phones to check messages.  Canadian drivers either drive so slow that they're bored, or spend all their driving time scanning for police so they aren't paying attention to traffic patterns.

Secondly, An F1 driver is far more focused on driving if the team is able to feed him info and settings adjustments, and when to check the mirrors, instead of having to figure out the settings on their own by trying to read the display and scrolling through info while driving on the limit.  I really think that limiting put radio us more dangerous, not safer.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »

Two thoughts on that. 

First of all in Canada they should jack the speed limits up to match the roads, and then maybe the drivers wouldn't get so bored driving 100kph in a 140 zone that they wouldn't pull out their phones to check messages.  Canadian drivers either drive so slow that they're bored, or spend all their driving time scanning for police so they aren't paying attention to traffic patterns.

Secondly, An F1 driver is far more focused on driving if the team is able to feed him info and settings adjustments, and when to check the mirrors, instead of having to figure out the settings on their own by trying to read the display and scrolling through info while driving on the limit.  I really think that limiting put radio us more dangerous, not safer.

Speed limit?  Have you driven in Toronto lately?  You're lucky if you get up to 80.  People are checking their phone because they're not moving.

I'm not talking about keeping F1 drivers safe.  I think that Robert Kubica has proven that a modern F1 car will protect a driver from just about anything.  I mean that if 'distracted driving' really is a problem for the FIA to address as a public safety body, and F1 is considered a place for 'trickle down' effects, then there is logic* to the FIA banning in car communication.  If that means teams have to provide systems that are simultaneously more sophisticated yet simpler to use, what's wrong with that?

*I'm not suggesting that it's unassailable logic.  Just discussing the idea.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »
lol...there you go, acting like a Torontonian...Canada's a big place.  Highways across the country.  There's more to life than the 401  ;) ;)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
lol...there you go, acting like a Torontonian...Canada's a big place.  Highways across the country.  There's more to life than the 401  ;) ;)

No:  I'm just suggesting most of the fatalities are the idiots doing 80 in Toronto, not the people in Alberta doing 140 checking Waze for cops.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle