collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 483
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso:I can decide my own future  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Alonso:I can decide my own future
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
Sorry Jeri, mis-read your post.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
Sorry Jeri, mis-read your post.

Y u no understand?

Me speek very gud!

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »
And now the latest...rumours suggesting Hammy to return to Mclaren?  Leaving the door open for Alonso to join the team he would probably have the best chance with in 2015?  That would be fun.  Of course everyone denies it.

I wonder if Flavio planted the rumour to make everyone show their cards?

http://www.pitpass.com/52661/Hamilton-to-McLaren-claim-utterly-without-foundation
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:09:14 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 05:13:50 PM »
Oh, there's lots of interesting stuff out there filled with Alonso speculation. 

The following one suggests Alonso was surprised by the RBR announcement, both in timing and the fact that he thought Hamilton was signing for Ferrari (leaving a seat open at Merc).  If he is now on his back foot negotiating with Ron, he's going to get the short end of the stick, I'm sure.  Mclaren are sitting pretty if Alonso has no other viable choice for a seat (though like someone said, Williams might be worth a ponder).

I'm a little confused by this typo though '“The Spanish star wants only a one-year contract, while Alonso is insisting on a commitment of at least two years,” said Vasconcelos.'  Which is it?  Mclaren I suppose is looking for the longer commitment (or perhaps Honda).

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/503454/Alonso_in_tough_McLaren_negotiations__report/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:16:46 PM by Scott »

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »
Oh, there's lots of interesting stuff out there filled with Alonso speculation. 

The following one suggests Alonso was surprised by the RBR announcement, both in timing and the fact that he thought Hamilton was signing for Ferrari (leaving a seat open at Merc).  If he is now on his back foot negotiating with Ron, he's going to get the short end of the stick, I'm sure.  Mclaren are sitting pretty if Alonso has no other viable choice for a seat (though like someone said, Williams might be worth a ponder).

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/503454/Alonso_in_tough_McLaren_negotiations__report/

Alonso and Kimi were the two drivers who set off the current trend of younger and younger F1 drivers.

There would be a certain irony if Alonso found himself squeezed out of the sport early by younger drivers taking good seats at McLaren and Red Bull

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 01:21:36 PM »
It is really starting to look grim for Alonso.  I think if he takes a sabbatical he could jeopardise a top team comeback.  It will give the chance for every driver on the top teams to shine themselves and make a gamble on him less attractive. 

I know every driver wants the best money and contract that they can get, but I really think Alonso has no option now than to sign at Mclaren for not the best cash and for at least 2yrs (Honda and Mclaren both don't want him signing a one year contract and then bolting to another team at the end of next year when other seats open up).  I see no other option for him at the moment.  If I was Mclaren, I would offer him $50/yr for 2 yrs.  ;)  Tell him he already got paid when they had their $100m fine.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116233
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:23:25 PM by Scott »

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »

The following one suggests Alonso was surprised by the RBR announcement,

I'm sure he was, but wasn't that Red Bulls intention?  ;) 

They may not have been able to announce that Vettel is going to Ferrari but they were determined to cause as much pressure to other teams and drivers as possible, that's the F1 way isn't it?  :D

As far as I know Nando has not ruled out staying at Ferrari, he must surely either have a firm contract or an option for 2015 at Maranello, so I can't see there is only a seat a Macca open to him.  :confused: 

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:00:55 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
Fernando won't be driving at Ferrari next year. Of that I'm certain (ok, 99% - nothing is for sure in F1 either).

Offline Scott

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »
And now some Hamilton speculation thrown in for good measure...

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/503719/Now_Hamilton_sucked_into_2015_F1_silly_season/

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
Why oh why would Lewis give up a guaranteed 2015 seat at Mercedes for an unknown future at Macca?  :DntKnw: 

Even if the worst scenario unfolds and Lewis loses the title fight this year it wont be because the team arranged it, so he still has all to play for next year.

Merc is still likely be a race winning car in 2015, why take the risk at Macca - when a seat for a driver like Lewis will still almost certainly be open in other front running teams, if not Macca - for the year after?   :confused:   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:24:19 PM by John S »

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 04:17:31 AM »
Why oh why would Lewis give up a guaranteed 2015 seat at Mercedes for an unknown future at Macca?  :DntKnw: 

Even if the worst scenario unfolds and Lewis loses the title fight this year it wont be because the team arranged it, so he still has all to play for next year.

Merc is still likely be a race winning car in 2015, why take the risk at Macca - when a seat for a driver like Lewis will still almost certainly be open in other front running teams, if not Macca - for the year after?   :confused:

Remember when it was 'crazy' for Hamilton to go from a safe big team at McLaren to an underperforming, too many chiefs, desperate to stave off the shareholders Mercedes?

I have faith that IF Hamilton flips teams, then he sees something that we, as fans, simply aren't privy to.

As a driver hoping to win F1 races, I wouldn't move from Mercedes to McLaren.  However, as someone who owes their racing career to the faith of Ron Dennis, the decision would be much less clear cut.  Sometimes it's nice to go home.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »

Remember when it was 'crazy' for Hamilton to go from a safe big team at McLaren to an underperforming, too many chiefs, desperate to stave off the shareholders Mercedes?

It wasn't viewed as crazy by most of us, rather unexpected maybe.

Macca had failed to give Lewis a championship winning car in 2011 and 12 and appeared to be going backwards year on year whereas Merc where moving forward. Now although Macca seem to have bottomed out the jury is still out, so to speak, about when and even if their resurgence as real championship contenders will take place.

I think even if Lewis fails to take the title this year he, along with nearly everyone else - Alonso included, will consider Merc is still the best place to fight for the title in 15.

However 16 is a whole new ball game and if Honda sees off the Merc and other engines in at least a few races next year all bets will be off as to which driver will try to get into which car for the following year. 

Whilst Merc may not be overjoyed at the possible unfreezing of engine development it should also mean they can further develop their power plant as well. Now just maybe they will increase their advantage - what then?  ;) 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:20:37 PM by John S »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle