collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 375
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bianchi Crash Japanese GP  (Read 9811 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Bianchi Crash Japanese GP
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »
That was really terrifying.  It is testimonial to the safety of a modern F1 car that he is alive at all.

Somewhere I read the car was going about 120mph when it hit the tractor.  I came across a youtube video that was full of still shots, but one was quite a closeup of the car itself.  I took this screenshot of it.  Warning...Jules is still inside the car.  There is nothing graphic, but it's unbelievable the damage to the car.  The engine box is just sheared off. 

Like everybody has said, this really shouldn't have happened. 

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 01:18:37 AM »
I just read that he is now being listed as "critical but stable."

It's hard to believe how it literally tossed the tractor like it was a toy.

I agree that there is no way that should have happened. I realize that the FIA people in charge didn't want to finish the race under a safety car. That doesn't justify putting the drivers in that kind of jeopardy. The combination of poor visibility and slick track should have brought out a red flag while the snatch tractor was operating in that area. It would have prevented both the "finish under caution" and the most horrific crash we've seen in F1 in a generation or more.

Forza Jules.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 06:30:16 AM »
Cranes are the way to go tractors are a bigger risk using a crane there would have been nothing there.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »
That was really terrifying.  It is testimonial to the safety of a modern F1 car that he is alive at all.

Somewhere I read the car was going about 120mph when it hit the tractor.  I came across a youtube video that was full of still shots, but one was quite a closeup of the car itself.  I took this screenshot of it.  Warning...Jules is still inside the car.  There is nothing graphic, but it's unbelievable the damage to the car.  The engine box is just sheared off. 

Like everybody has said, this really shouldn't have happened.

It's absolutely amazing that the back end of the tractor appears to be designed to target the heads of F1 drivers.

With all the work that the FIA has done to create safe cars (aardvark noses), if they're going to put equipment on the track, it should be compatible with the safety features of the cars.

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
The type of injury has been disclosed by Bianchi's family.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116205

One thing about seeing the picture of Bianchi still in the car was to see that his helmet appeared intact, which again, is a remarkable testament to the safety of today's equipment.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
The type of injury has been disclosed by Bianchi's family.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116205

One thing about seeing the picture of Bianchi still in the car was to see that his helmet appeared intact, which again, is a remarkable testament to the safety of today's equipment.

Many years ago Christian Fittipaldi* crashed into a barrier at an Indy Car race.  All the sensors in the car indicated a 100g crash that he should have killed him instantly, according to the latest research at the time.  While he suffered a severe concussion, he obviously wasn't killed.  Instead, the amount of technical data available, and high level of medical analysis offered elite athletes helped research into concussions and g forces make a quantum leap forward.

Obviously I hope Bianchi makes a full recovery, but I'm also looking forward to information from the crash, injury and treatment providing another quantum leap into understanding head injuries.

*I'm not 100% sure it was Christian, my point was the crash and the data collection.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
A second video and commentary at Autoweek.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/fia-battles-social-media-remove-julies-bianchi-crash-video

According to Wikipedia, 90% of people with his injury never regain consciousness. Let's pray he is in the 10%.
Lonny

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
Taking this quote from the commentary, I would agree that the green flag being waved by the tower marshal, while "technically" not incorrect, is definitely the wrong signal to display.  Assuming Bianchi had slowed for the yellow (double yellow according to some reports), he would have been back  on the gas seeing the green, which could well have been the cause of his loss of control.
"One of the thousands to watch the video is Prost himself, who said he was alarmed to see that a marshal right next to the incident was waving a green flag.

"It should have been at least a hundred meters away," Prost said.

Indeed, the green flag being waved from the marshal tower just after the incident scene is causing a great deal of controversy after the amateur footage emerged. But former driver Emanuele Pirro, who also serves as a driver steward for the FIA, says that it is "perfectly regular" for green flags to be waving at the very next marshal post after a caution zone -- even if this is just a meter away."

Perhaps the most interesting thing I noticed in a section of this video moments after this footage stops, another track worker climbs the ladder to the tower, the tower marshal switches back to the yellow and holds out the sign "SC".  This would seem to indicate that Bianchi's crash may well have come before the Safety Car was dispatched.  If this be the case, what in Heaven's name was that heavy equipment doing out there removing Sutil's car?
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 03:39:27 PM »
...what in Heaven's name was that heavy equipment doing out there removing Sutil's car?

That's exactly the problem.  The SC was NOT deployed before the Bianchi crash.  It was deployed AFTER.  That is clear simply by the fact that the SC gives way to the medical car as they are leaving the pit lane - the medical car had already been called for Bianchi before the SC was deployed.

I really don't get what all the discussion is about.  The FIA (Charlie Whiting) made a tragic error, miscalculation, decision, mistake...call it whatever you like, but if he held off the tractor until the SC could safely pick up and slow down the cars, then Bianchi would not be hurt.

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
Latest Bianchi summary including statement from his family.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29521187

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 12:27:30 AM »
I had questions about just what his injury is and what the outcome may be.  I found this article.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/what-diffuse-axonal-injury-what-4401516
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Willy

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Two thoughts:
I agree with Scott that this lays directly at Charlie's feet. He should have brought out the SC as soon as Sutil went off. Or stopped the race. Way too much water on the track for a safe race situation.

There should be no vehicles other then SC or Medical cars on the track at all during a race. All cranes to remove vehicles should be placed behind guardrails and have long enough reach to get stricken cars. It can be done. It just requires more cranes and better placement. Even under SC speeds and in wet conditions the cars are traveling fast enough to hydroplane and spin out. Hydroplaning can occur at any speed over 70 KM.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »
Two thoughts:
I agree with Scott that this lays directly at Charlie's feet. He should have brought out the SC as soon as Sutil went off. Or stopped the race. Way too much water on the track for a safe race situation.

There should be no vehicles other then SC or Medical cars on the track at all during a race. All cranes to remove vehicles should be placed behind guardrails and have long enough reach to get stricken cars. It can be done. It just requires more cranes and better placement. Even under SC speeds and in wet conditions the cars are traveling fast enough to hydroplane and spin out. Hydroplaning can occur at any speed over 70 KM.

I think that SC would have been enough, stopping the race would have been premature (I don't know what the weather conditions were, if there was a chance of it passing or not)

I'd like to think generous crane placement would solve the problem, but given the slim margins that the promoters claim to be taking, there isn't room to spend money on heavy equipment that stays safely behind the barrier walls.  Making this a requirement will see many 'classic' venues decide hosting an F1 race isn't worth while.  As such, I go back to my idea for the FIA to provide, at their cost, adequate equipment as part of the travelling F1 circus.  The only reason the FIA is part of F1 is to ensure that F1 is safe.  Anytime F1 isn't safe, that's the FIA's responsibility.  Period

Offline Scott

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 09:02:21 PM »
If the FIA is serious about safety, then they would include the crane rental and any other safety expenses - take them directly out of the race fees.  If Bernie won't cough it up, shame him into it. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
I wonder how many street circuits might not be able to use cranes due to overhead power lines and such.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle