collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Russian GP Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Scott

Russian GP Heroes and Zeroes
« on: October 12, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »
Heroes:

Lewis, for staying cool, staying in front of Bottas and not making any mistakes.

Bottas for staying in it and even doing FL on the penultimate lap.

Rosberg (see below) for a great comeback and running the car for 52 laps on one set of tires.

Ricciardo for starting and finishing in front of Vettel (though for a while there...).

Button - 4th.  Though his demeanour seems to indicate he has already been given his walking papers, I hope it's not the case.  Even though Magnussen came up from further back, Button Q'd 4th and stayed 4th.  If a seat has to be vacated next year, I don't know why they don't offer reserve driver to Magnussen and if Button doesn't perform at the beginning of the year, they can always swap them out.

Alonso for keeping a smiling face among a massive career crisis.  Come on Ron, just stop the games and sign him.

Cos, for cracking us up in chat with his '...traditional Russian territory' remarks.

Zeroes:

Putin - for making a late race entrance that for some reason the TV director thought should be documented.  For sitting like a Mafioso in the stands with Bernie (and passing him something suspicious on camera - couldn't be a bribe, could it?), and gradually allowing himself to be surrounded by his greedy adoring minions.  And for demanding total silence during the playing of the Russian national anthem.  What a joke that everyone had to line up like that and pretend they held the Russian Anthem in reverence.  Yeeeeeeesh.  http://www.pitpass.com/52713/Putin-orders-respect-for-anthem

Podium guy, for his memorably stereotypical comments 'You like thee race, no?  You were impressed with thee Russian GP.  Wonderful time we have here, no?'

Tilke - no excuse that he had to put a track in the space he was given - he still could have done a better job, even at simply painting the lines that everybody ignored through the first lap anyhow.

Rosberg - Mr Impatience blows another race.  Fire his butt and hire Alonso next year.  He also bullied Bottas when he passed him - 'Give way or crash' doesn't show much talent.

Race Stewards for penalizing Grossjean when there was nothing he could have done about not hitting Sutil.  Most everyone in chat agreed it was just racing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:58:14 PM by Scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

Re: Russian GP Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:27:34 AM »
Pretty spot on Scotty

Hero's

Button-I hate to see it when a driver reaches
           the end of his F1 career......hopefully
           Jensen will have one more year.

Lewis-I've never liked him and I don't really know why?
          He'a always reminded me of a ungrateful kid that
          doesn't know how lucky he is.

Bottas-given a decent car he's proven how good he is.....
           but isn't that the case with most non pay drivers

Zero's-the track,I know he didn't have much land to work
          with but couldn't he at least had one good turn

pit lane-looked a little on the narrow side,didn't it

podium interviewer-a comic wasn't needed

Putin-for being Putin

Bernie-for sleeping with the devil for money

Super hero's

The guys in the chat room.....hope we can stay together
 for years to come

Everyone missed Ian :good:hasn't been on since the 9th..hope your
okay Ian

Wizzo's new Caterham......come May someone gonna be a happy camper.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:09:58 AM »
I thought Wizzo said in chat (maybe before you got there) that Ian is having PC problems again, which might explain his absence from the forum as well.

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »
I thought Wizzo said in chat (maybe before you got there) that Ian is having PC problems again, which might explain his absence from the forum as well.

Nobody  tells me anything around this joint ;)
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »
 :good:
Lewis - great all weekend
Rosberg - I've never liked him and I don't really know why? He always reminded me of a ungrateful kid that doesn't know how lucky he is.  ;) He drove brilliantly after a schoolboy error.
Bottas - although the car is good, he is making it look fantastic
Button - getting back to his best, a well thought out race although I'm sure he was being told that Rosberg would definitely have to pit.

:nono:
The track - dull as ditchwater. The only positive was the surface - wasn't it great not to see a single line through layers of tyre marbles?
F1 - Everyone was fuel saving; what could the racing be like if everyone could use as much fuel as they like?  If Rosberg could come from the back that fast, how fast could Hamilton have gone if he didn't have to nurse his power unit. This is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsport but it is being regulated into mediocrity.
Rosberg - I've never liked him and I don't really know why? He always reminded me of a ungrateful kid that doesn't know how lucky he is. Like a petulant kid he would not accept that Hamilton was going to be first into that corner. He could have ruined the race for both of them.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »
Thank you, Scott.

Heroes:

Mercedes, for its first ever WCC. Remember, there was no WCC when they were dominate back in the mid-1950's.

Ross Brawn, for making it possible.

Lewis, for being back on stride.

Bottas, for punching above his (car's) weight.

Button, for proving he still has what it takes.

Zeroes:

The new Axis of Evil - Putin, Bernie & Todt. I tried to see if they were all wearing their SPECTRE octopus rings.

The track -  :sick:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
I have trouble calling Hamilton a hero - he ran virtually uncontested, even by his teammate after turn 2 on the opening lap.

I am also not sure I could call Bottas a hero, as he too was more-or-less unrivaled.  I also don't believe he was really out of his weight class, as the Williams was very quick - demonstrated in qualifying.

HERO: Rosberg gets my vote.  Realizing the problem that put him last, except for Massa, was after all, a self-inflicted wound, he still did really well to get himself back into the mix.

ZERO: Williams, even Smedley confessed that the screwed up pitting Massa at the end of lap 1.  Felipe had passed seven cars on the first lap, all of which he had to pass again.  Perez held him up for a while and after his second stop, was behind Perez again and unable to get by safely, even with DRS.  Had they left him out and made a one stop race of it, he could likely have finished fourth or fifth.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
I have trouble calling Hamilton a hero - he ran virtually uncontested, even by his teammate after turn 2 on the opening lap.

I am also not sure I could call Bottas a hero, as he too was more-or-less unrivaled.  I also don't believe he was really out of his weight class, as the Williams was very quick - demonstrated in qualifying.

While I appreciate Hamilton's race was un interesting from a spectator's point of view, making the rest of the field look like slugs is the very definition of 'heroism' in the context of motorsports.

Hamilton could very easily have panicked and had a problem while Rosberg was trying to pass him.  He stayed clear and clean.  He made it look easy, while Rosberg made it look hard.

I'd also like to add that 65,000 spectators showed that Russians are interested in F1.  I won't debate whether the nation deserves the race or not, but I'd say the fans do.  Hopefully over time they can prove that they love racing as much as we do.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »
One thing that struck me was the time spread.  By lap 10, Hamilton had something like 15seconds on the pack and it was like that pretty much all the way down the field.  Nobody could stay together, and there were only small bursts of close racing.

Really, it's just a horrible track with regards to racing, and will really need a good re-think, if it's either longer or more DRS zones or re-painting the lines.  Maybe when they realize they won't ever use that speed skating or curling rinks again, they can tear them down and re-format the track.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »
One thing that struck me was the time spread.  By lap 10, Hamilton had something like 15seconds on the pack and it was like that pretty much all the way down the field.  Nobody could stay together, and there were only small bursts of close racing.

Really, it's just a horrible track with regards to racing, and will really need a good re-think, if it's either longer or more DRS zones or re-painting the lines.  Maybe when they realize they won't ever use that speed skating or curling rinks again, they can tear them down and re-format the track.

They've already turned the speed skating building into tennis courts.  I presume the curling facility also has another use by now.

Here's an interesting thought about the track layout 'creating' a gap between cars.  Perhaps most tracks are 'artificially' keeping cars close together, and a wide open track like Sochi lets us see how the cars truly stand.

Doesn't make it a 'good track', but just something to keep in mind.  I think with more even cars, it would provide a better spectacle.  Damn Mercedes for getting it so right!

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »
I agree Mercedes is probably in a class of its own but from the drivers comments it seems that the other teams had banked on probably several safety cars and had under-fuelled. Most cars were fuel saving (to avoid running out, not just keeping within the fuel rate regs). I think the regs should set a minimum starting weight rule that encourages the cars to start with full tanks and use every bit of power they have available. So far the rules are mostly about reducing cost. It is about time they start making the rules encourage close racing.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
I agree Mercedes is probably in a class of its own but from the drivers comments it seems that the other teams had banked on probably several safety cars and had under-fuelled. Most cars were fuel saving (to avoid running out, not just keeping within the fuel rate regs). I think the regs should set a minimum starting weight rule that encourages the cars to start with full tanks and use every bit of power they have available. So far the rules are mostly about reducing cost. It is about time they start making the rules encourage close racing.

Yeah, after the disaster in Japan, I was sure the safety car would be out the first time Rosberg cut a chicane.  Can't blame the teams for being convinced that Whiting would over react.

It is a bit of a problem that the FIA rules don't appear to take a wholistic aproach to the sport, but rather different areas in a quiltwork of well meaning patches that are individually well reasoned, but once assembled seem to spell out something the decency filter won't let me post.

Quite honestly, I would love to see them throw out the rule book, and start 100% from scratch (though I would concede that the power unit regs, as unpopular as they are, need to be maintained to keep suppliers happy)

I'd even go so far as to adopt the Indycar approach of providing teams with a standard monocoque safety cell to build off of.  That keeps down costs as we don't have each team creating their own safety features which must then be tested, but still allows the creation of unique aerodynamic and 'power unit' solutions.

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
I'd even go so far as to adopt the Indycar approach of providing teams with a standard monocoque safety cell to build off of.  That keeps down costs as we don't have each team creating their own safety features which must then be tested, but still allows the creation of unique aerodynamic and 'power unit' solutions.

Not to mention preventing the teams from designing monocoque around a teeny tiny driver.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 11:30:51 PM »

Not to mention preventing the teams from designing monocoque around a teeny tiny driver.

So we'll have just a 24 car team in F1 then.  ::) 

I mean why bother with 3 or even 4 car teams.  :P 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »

So we'll have just a 24 car team in F1 then.  ::) 

I mean why bother with 3 or even 4 car teams.  :P 

Really?  You think a variety of monocoques is what defines the teams?  I hope not...  :DntKnw:

I think that's a great idea Jeri, but only if they opened up the aero rules so the teams could go back to experimenting with different wings, suspension and aero features.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle