collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 307
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: USGP AUSTIN - 2014  (Read 10422 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: USGP AUSTIN - 2014
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 03:58:39 PM »
Indy had open, free autograph sessions with all of the F1 drivers. Also, there was an entrance to the paddock that was used by most of the F1 personnel. It was a great place to hang around early in the morning. A number of the pictures I took there are in the Gallery section. Many of the drivers would stop and talk. So would people like Charlie Whiting, Christian Horner and other F1 brass.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »

That along with the fenders on the cars

Care to translate for us Brits Dare?    :DntKnw: 

I thunk that word 'fender' meant the chrome metal bars found at the ends of cars,
we call them 'bumpers' in Britland.  ;)   
However I don't remember seeing crash protectors stuck on both ends of Indy cars  :confused:
      - but then I ain't watched any Indy races for about 18 months.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »

That along with the fenders on the cars

Care to translate for us Brits Dare?    :DntKnw: 

I thunk that word 'fender' meant the chrome metal bars found at the ends of cars,
we call them 'bumpers' in Britland.  ;)   
However I don't remember seeing crash protectors stuck on both ends of Indy cars  :confused:
      - but then I ain't watched any Indy races for about 18 months.  :D

Indycars have the wheels partially enclosed by a structure designed to prevent wheels interlocking and flinging a car into the air (as the crash that killed Dan Wheldon, who the chassis is named after.  Similar to Gilles' crash)

They aren't really bumpers but do function like them.  They aren't really fenders (the top of the tire is visible), but they look like the fenders on sports cars. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »
We Yanks use the word "fenders" for what you Brits call "wings."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 10:44:27 PM »

Yeah that makes sense now in respect of what Dare, and then Jeri, is describing.  :good:

But what the hell do you call the bumpers then?  :swoon: 

Offline Dare

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »

Yeah that makes sense now in respect of what Dare, and then Jeri, is describing.  :good:

front bumper and back bumper and in my eyes Indy
cars have what I pertain as fenders....case closed John :tease:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 07:17:21 AM »
And the rear bumper/fender proved remarkably ineffective at preventing Dario from being pitched up and over and into the fence at Houston.

>:D >:D >:D
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »

We call them "bumpers."   ;)

Or, if you're into stock car racing, "the chrome horn."
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
Returning to the topic of Austin's event, I must say that I don't know about all of the other circuits and admit I have only been to a couple of European race weekends, Canada and Indy.  This show in Austin is hard to beat, no matter what other venues may have as an agenda.

http://music.blog.austin360.com/2014/10/16/f1-fan-fest-releases-schedule-including-set-times-for-free-de-la-soul-joan-jett-shows/
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
The USGP at Indy was usually the same week-end as the Indy Jazz & Blues fest. I remember seeing live, free race day concerts at The Speedway by John Mellencamp, The Commodores, Patti LeBelle and others. Local bands played constantly all four days of the weekend in the Pagoda Plaza. In 2005, our race tickets got us free admission to the Raphael exhibit at the Indianapolis Museum of Art.

My favorite "show" of every race weekend was watching all of the classic cars cruising 16th Street & Georgetown Road. Everything for 60's muscle cars to modern supercars to 250 and 330 series Ferraris.
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »

I remember the great spectacle of F1 cars at Brands Hatch funnelled after the start into the big drop round Paddock Hill bend, then uphill to the 180 Druids turn and dropping back down the hill to Bottom bend (latterly called Graham Hill bend). Sensational to watch and hear, either at the track or on TV.

Sadly Brands will never stage another F1 GP in my lifetime  :'( and no amount of waxing lyrical will change that. The boring flatlands of Northampton won over the marvellous topographic ups and downs of the Kent track.  :crazy:     

Time and commercial pressures change both tracks and where GPs are located, how many circuits from the 50s' 60s', 70s or 80s retaining an F1 GP are still as they originally where? None as far as I'm aware, even Monaco has been altered. 

Sorry Cossie but it's time you let go of this concept that Indianapolis is the only real USGP track, however good your memories are, like mine - they're just memories.  :( 

Us Brits are used to the expression 'the King is dead, long live the King' - so Viva Austin!  :yahoo: 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 09:39:52 PM »
There were 7 points races in the first F1 season back in 1950. The first three were, in order, Silverstone, Monaco & Indy. Spa & Monza were also on the schedule that year. The other tow were Reims (France) and Bremgarten (Swizerland).

Indy is by far the best USGP venue, and will still be around long after COTA has gone the way of Texas World Speedway and Ontario International. Some day, hopefully soon, Bernie will depart, the darkness will lift and the glory that used to be F1 will return.

The King still lives, and the rank usurper shall not long triumph.  :yahoo:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 10:16:38 PM »
Aah John, Brands Hatch, what a circuit that is, I never saw F1 there but I used to be there regularly for my 1st love at the time, BIKES, used to stand on the bank at Bottom bend, you could see them enter Clearways, all along Top Straight into Paddock, then out of Druids and back round in front of you at  Bottom Bend, what days they were.   :yahoo:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 07:36:43 AM »
I'm with Cos on this one...Indy will outlive Bernie, and when whoever takes over F1 realizes that the fan experience is more important than impressing the Paddock Club guests, F1 will return to Indy.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
I also remember F1 at Brands Hatch (although I can't remember which was the last one I saw - I know it was the European GP that year). I still go and watch historic GP cars there and they still sound fantastic. It is also my favourite track to drive. I started there when I was riding superbikes and the negative camber & steep drop of Paddock Hill Bend really strengthens certain muscles (those in the cheeks of your bum!)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle