collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 329
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: USGP AUSTIN - 2014  (Read 10309 times)

Offline Ian

Re: USGP AUSTIN - 2014
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
I'll second the bum cheek muscles Monty, many many years ago I took my bog standard G12 CSR round Brands, done a couple of laps,came belting(in my mind) along Top straight, braked for Paddock, nothing, somehow got round Paddock then got a speed wobble, had to open up again, how I got round Druids I'll never know, luck and the Almighty on my shoulder I think.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Monty

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 03:19:24 PM »
So Ian, you had Matchless G12 CSR ? Great handling bike but they were never known for good brakes - they had smaller drum brakes than my Greeves 350 Sports!
My first encounter was on a Kawasaki Z900 with a Rickman frame so no excuses - but Paddock scared/thrilled me every lap!

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »
Packing today.
Driving out and leaving tomorrow night.

I will not be posting anything until at least a week from tomorrow.

Turn 15, Section 1, Row 28, Seat 6

Weather is sunny, or partly cloudy for the entire weekend, with a high of around 80 degrees.   :yahoo:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:50:58 PM by J.Clark »
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Monty

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »
I'm really jealous.
Although, my good news is that I will be in the Middle East, full sun; 37C /96F  :D (my bad news is I will be working  :'( )

Offline Scott

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 07:21:55 AM »
Packing today.
Driving out and leaving tomorrow night.

I will not be posting anything until at least a week from tomorrow.

Turn 15, Section 1, Row 28, Seat 6

Weather is sunny, or partly cloudy for the entire weekend, with a high of around 80 degrees.   :yahoo:

Have a great time!  We'll watch for you on chat...if they have wifi at the track, drop in.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »

Enjoy yourself J.Clark - you lucky, lucky so and so.  ;)   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »
The NASCAR Cup Series will be right up Interstate 35 at Texas Speedway. The race starts the same time as the F1 race. The NFL Dallas Cowboys will also be playing at home, right up I-35. The NFL Houston Texans will be playing at home at the same time, too.

Even though the F1 race will be on a major broadcast TV network, I don't think it will get many viewers in Texas.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 10:19:37 PM »
I've just read the free practice report for today.  Looks like it was pretty dull.  The only points of note being a hydraulics issue for Hamilton at the end of second practice, and that Vettel won't be bothering with a qualifying set-up, because he has to take an engine penalty.  He was slowest in second practice focusing exclusively on race set-up.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ian

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
Gave up on my stream, it was jerking and juddering like a 90 year old who'd never driven trying to master clutch control.  >:D
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »
COTA demonstrated its vast knowledge of F1 racing. The put a Dutch flag up on the front of Danny Kvyat's pit box.  :confused:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/us-grand-prixs-cota-gets-f1-driver-daniil-kvyats-flag-wrong
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ Wasn't it at Austin when Mclaren put up a Mexican flag with a pot leaf on it when Perez was driving for them?

Offline Scott

Q
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »
Rosberg takes dominant pole while Hamilton struggles with brake problems.  Damn, lost a point.  |-( |-(

Williams boys take row 2, and my boy Ricciardo on 5th.  Alonso hot on his tail, then the Mclarens (Button topping out Magnussen - see, I'm still fast grin on his face).  Sutil brings Sauber into Q3.  Vettel starts 17th, but probably out of pit lane.  Grossjean picking up the back of the field after his team told him he was out by a country mile in Q.  I wonder if they are even on speaking terms in the garage. 

http://www.pitpass.com/52841/Rosberg-digs-deep-to-take-stunning-pole-in-Austin
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:15:54 PM by Scott »

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »
COTA keeps adding to the event - better each year from a fan's perspective.

I picked up my friend at the airport on Thursday.  He had never been there so we went by the track, as much can be seen from outside the fence.
When we got there, we noticed a number of people at a gate so we went over and checked it out.  It turned out that they had purchased the high-dollar pit lane walk/tour package.  Since we didn't have tickets, we just walked away.  We found nobody guarding the tunnel entrance under the hill to turn 1 so we walked through.

Once in the infield, we walked around, went up the tower and took in the view from 25 stories up (awesome), walked around on the track, found our way onto a recovery road, which lead to the pits, and since we were coming from behind the security people, joined the pit lane walkers.

Since it was my birthday Thursday, I flagged down the grid girls and asked for a birthday photo - a request they were happy to grant.

Friday was a good day at the track and we spent a fair amount of time walking around checking out the different seating locations.  Turn 1 is fantastic and the GA grassy hillside is great.  The esses provide a good close-up view of them, but little else can be seen except for the big screen.  Turn 10 wasn't bad, but turn 11 was better and there is a berm on the outside of it with good viewing for the GA crowd.  Our seats at turn 15 were all the way to the end and high up so we could see turn 11 and 90% of the straight down to turn 12 and of course, all of the twisty part from there to turn 16.

Saturday night at the FanFest in downtown was as good as could be.  Lots of freebies given out.  Piloti was giving away socks and had a pair of simulators set up for Laguna Seca.  I messed up the corkscrew just a bit and missed the "magic time" to win a free pair of shoes and jacket by 3.2 seconds.  I won my race against my friend however, so I won a ball cap.  Joan Jett (free) concert was awesome and since the clocks were set back an hour . . .

Sunday was a beautiful day for racing.  Williams ticked me off when they left Massa out at least one too many laps on degrading tires, allowing Riccardo to get passed, especially with a 3.7 pit stop.

After the race, Kid Rock did a free concert in the amphitheater at the track.  That too was a great concert.

Offline Scott

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »
Great race report JC - sounds like you had a blast.  And those are great tips for anyone else planning on booking the USGP.   :good: :good:

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 07:42:35 PM »
A few photos . . .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle