collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 583
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: What's in store for F1  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Scott

Re: What's in store for F1
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 04:08:54 PM »
Really??  I thought Ferrari, Mclaren and Williams were all profitable companies.  Williams and Mclaren both started as race teams and one turned into a profitable tech company and the other a profitable car company.  Ferrari has more years than not turned a profit also as a car company.  Though you can argue that the teams themselves can't be profitable because they spend all the money they make from sponsorship and FOM, I think you could only say that Williams are at the moment funding the race team from their business interests, not Mclaren and Ferrari.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
I think you could only say that Williams are at the moment funding the race team from their business interests, not Mclaren and Ferrari.

Remember, McLaren doesn't has a major sponsor this year.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
Really??  I thought Ferrari, Mclaren and Williams were all profitable companies.  Williams and Mclaren both started as race teams and one turned into a profitable tech company and the other a profitable car company.  Ferrari has more years than not turned a profit also as a car company.  Though you can argue that the teams themselves can't be profitable because they spend all the money they make from sponsorship and FOM, I think you could only say that Williams are at the moment funding the race team from their business interests, not Mclaren and Ferrari.

I mean the race team division, not the entire company.

I'm sure teams with big sponsorship, or costs carried by other divisions (Ferrari and Mercedes) could be profitable on the books, but that wouldn't describe most teams.

Considering that Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes function as owned advertising divisions of their larger companies, it's hard to say if 'advertising' pays off or not.  It's okay for Scuderia Ferrari to lose $100 million if they believe it creates $200 million in sales for Fiat Chyrsler.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »
On the issue of profitability, here's a brief article on Ferrari/Maserati financials.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114103083564/maserati-made-more-money-than-ferrari-in-third-quarter
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 09:13:24 PM »
I mean the race team division, not the entire company.

The point I was trying to make was that Mclaren and Ferrari were built as race teams, expanded into manufacture and sales of street cars (it took Ferrari 20yrs to do that, and Mclaren almost 30yrs).  Williams went from a race team to a tech engineering firm as well. 

For these three teams, at some point they were profitable enough as race teams to branch out into other opportunities.  They could not have done it had they not been profitable during their expansions.  i.e. they didn't start with a large fortune as the saying goes, they started out quite humbly and developed into large fortunes.

There is NO chance of that happening today with the small teams unless they can share fairly in the revenue (notice I didn't say even share but a fair share). 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:15:38 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
Major League Baseball has something that has become known as the "Luxury Tax." If a team like the Yankees want to spend more on players than the cost cap allows, they pay into a fund for the smaller market teams. That could be a model for F1. If teams like Red Bull, Ferrari or Mercedes want to spend money like mad, that's permissible. However, they have to ante up to help the smaller teams stay alive.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »
Pertinent to this discussion: Monisha Kaltenborn speaks out.  What she is saying strikes me as being very reasonable.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 07:10:03 AM »
More from FIF1, is there a conspiracy?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29858916

Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
Much of this came from the Team Principals press conference after FP2. I don't think it was an accident that the FIA put Toto Wolf (Mercedes) and Eric Boullier (McLaren) in the front row, with Gerard Lopez (Lotus), Monisha Kaltenborn (Sauber) and Vijay Mallya (Sahara Force India) in the back.

Most of the questions from the press were about F1 finances. Wolf couldn't understand why they weren't asking about practice.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle