collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 264
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16169 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13005 Posts
John S John S
11287 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Horner-Nothing-will-change  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Dare

Horner-Nothing-will-change
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:27:38 PM »
I could see the engine freeze for the current year but how much sense
does it make to cover future years?If your stuck with a crappy engine
why hang around?

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9583408/Horner-Nothing-will-change-in-2015

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

guest3164

Re: Horner-Nothing-will-change
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:15:17 PM »
F1 will always favour teams that come up with the best solutions though.  Red Bull dominated due to their better understanding of blown diffusers in the last Formula regs for example.  I will always take everything Horner says with a huge pile of salt though, he isn't out to help F1, only Red Bull Racing and a lot of what he says stinks of sour grapes.  We've just had largely 4 years of the same so I can cope with another of Mercedes dominance, although I do think it will be closer (and Renault ought to have enough about them to step up given the changes they are allowed to make, we're not talking about some tin-pot company here!)

I think if manufacturers pull out, it is really an acknowledgement of their own failings, but I guess that has in general always been the case (not many pull out after winning, do they?)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 03:11:54 PM »
I think if manufacturers pull out, it is really an acknowledgement of their own failings, but I guess that has in general always been the case (not many pull out after winning, do they?)

The reason why manufacturers tend to be problematic in F1 is that they generally answer to boards and shareholders who don't always see the value of running in F1, win or lose.  Certainly it's harder to justify spending over a billion dollars on losing programmes (Toyota, Jaguar and Honda come to mind) than winning programmes, but even then a return on investment is expected.

F1 has had success in the past as a single engine (plus Ferrari) series.  I don't want to see F1 Powered exclusively by Mercedes (plus Ferrari), but I wouldn't see it as a doomsday scenario either.  If F1 wants to play a game where the engine rules change every five years, and the first two years are all about seeing who got it right, followed by three years of everone on the same engine, I think that the sport can survive.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »
Horner's just bitter they didn't go with Merc engines this year.  But I don't expect RB to abandon F1 just yet. 

I don't like reading reports about Wolff saying that he is no longer discussing any changes to the '15 rules, meaning the other teams didn't take the crumbs Merc were offering (why would they if they didn't make any significant difference - Wolff has no more interest in the health of F1 than Horner does, by the way). 

The geniuses who wrote the engine regs should have included a caveat that said if the engines were significantly different in power, then the following teams should be allowed to develop the engines to catch up.  Instead they wrote this convoluted contract that Merc is under no obligation to change.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 04:12:35 PM »
The entire notion that three manufacturers could jump into a completely new formula and come up even reasonably even on the first throw was ridiculous in the first place. Greater allowances should have been made for adjustments during the first season.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:59:03 AM »
The sticking point is that changes to the 2015 regs require unanimous approval. Merc is naturally reluctant to give up a hard won advantage. The rub is 2016 regs only require a majority to approve. Renault was threatening to push for no freeze of any kind in 2016 if Merc didn't go along with some equalization of power next year. So I kinda hope Merc keeps saying no, 1000 BHP anyone?
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle