collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 270
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Owner wrecks 707hp Challenger  (Read 4155 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

Re: Owner wrecks 707hp Challenger
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:24:58 PM »
The inevitable accident that follows the words 'Watch this!'.  :fool:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:36:47 AM »
They make those penis compensators in Brampton which isn't far from me.

707 horsepower seems a little... absurd.  Aside from my initial comment, I don't quite see the point.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 07:14:05 AM »
The late great Mark Donohue once said something to the effect that if you can leave black rubber streaks from the exit of any corner all the way to the braking point for the next corner, then you have enough power.   :D
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »
I don't quite see the point

Because it's FUN!!!!!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
I can see how a car with 200 hp is more fun than a car with 80 hp.

I can see how a car with 500 hp is more fun than a car with 200 hp.

There must be a point where the extra hp stops being more fun.

For example, I would like to have an Oreo.  I would rather have 2 Oreos.  In fact, I'd love a whole bag of Oreos.  But after eating a bag of Oreos, I wouldn't be interested in a truckload of Oreos.

In what situation would 700 horsepower be more fun than 500?

If anyone is serious about taking their daily ride racing, surely money could be better spent to provide a superior car.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »

In the situation where one presses one's right foot down hard.

After many decades of dedicated research, I have never found such a point.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
I don't think anyone needs 700hp in a street car unless it weighs 20 tons, but I do appreciate the fun it would be to have underneath my foot.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
The Challenger chassis was developed from a generation of Mercedes E class so it isn't so bad, The late great Mark Donohue once said something to the effect that if you can leave black rubber streaks from the exit of any corner all the way to the braking point for the next corner, then you have enough power.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 01:22:19 AM »
A 100hp car to get me from point a to
point b is plenty for me.I really don't
like buying more gas than I need to.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 02:48:32 AM »

In the situation where one presses one's right foot down hard.

After many decades of dedicated research, I have never found such a point.

Out of curiousity what is the most power you've handled on a city street?

I've gone to 290 in a Lincoln Mark VIII

I drove a 9th gen F150 which had a lot of power, but I don't know what it had.  It was my first time driving a stick though, and I spun the wheels a lot!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 12:29:16 PM »
Back in the early 70's, I built a 427 dual quad Ford FE that was pumping on the far side of 450 hp. It started out in a 1963 Galaxie 500 XL hard top. I latter moved it to a 1966 Thunderbird Town Landau. Later in the 70's, I built a 460 Lima block with Boss 429 heads that made some serious power. It was in a 1970 Galaxie 500.

One of my favorite memories of that 427 was driving the T-Bird up a ramp in the underground parking garage at the Ohio State House. I popped open the exhaust cut-outs & punched it. It was loud enough to set off a few car alarms!  :yahoo:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »
1972 or 73 Firebird with 300+hp that a friend of mine hot rodded up.  Hurst shifter on that beast and about a 1ft travel clutch (at least it felt like that) - was brutal to drive, but I only stalled it once and lurched it a couple of times. 

I was actually with him when he had a rather nasty accident in it - his fault. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
The outright most powerful I ever drove was a 1970 Aston DBS V8, estimated at 281bhp but probably a lot less on the car I drove, trouble was it was too temperamental and 2 of the 3 drives my boss allowed me in his motor ended with mechanical issues.  ::)

The most frightening car I ever drove was an MG C, the bloody thing could pull more than the suggested 150bhp on a long straight road but then simply refused to respond to steering input for any following corner. The resultant power slides and slewing across the road in my car sales mate's forecourt car certainly made brown trousers a requirement on a test drive.  :swoon: Needless to say I passed on the opportunity to own the MG C and opted for the more manageable Triumph TR6, a bit less on bhp, as far as I could feel, but much more driveable. ;) However I totalled that machine in a stupid collision 18 months later, there endeth my fast car follies.  :(
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 01:19:31 PM »
The MG C was originally meant to be the next gen Austin Healey 3000. The 6 was over 200 lb heavier than the MG B 4, so the car was terribly nose heavy. It also required some "creative" engineering to route the steering around the longer engine. Needless to say, the Healey family wanted no part of it.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle