collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 528
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Franck Montagny tests [positive for  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Franck Montagny tests [positive for
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 10:10:57 AM »
Scott, the difference between you and Franck is that Franck willingly signed up to WADA restrictions upon getting a FIA racing licence. This bans cannabinoids of all descriptions (which covers both what you say you take and what Franck was caught taking) due to a combination of potential performance enhancement and impairment. The former is a problem in a racing context because it gives people incentive to use drugs to gain an unfair advantage (pain relief is a pretty helpful thing to have if your car is not very comfy!), and the latter is a problem in motor sport for safety reasons (cocaine, and many other cannabinoids, are associated with reduced ability to assess risk... ...which makes me worry if this explains some of Franck's incidents in Formula E). Cocaine and all currently known derivatives are more of an impairment for motor racing than an advantage (it's the other way round for some other sports), but the FIA and WADA don't want either happening in their sport(s). Neither cares about recreation harm (except, in the FIA's case, about effects that might impact road use), but both care a lot about effects on sport.

Someone with a medical reason for taking a drug on the list can use documentation (known as a TUPE) to prove that no drug not on the list would be an effective substitute for their condition. If the FIA has this, they tell WADA to ignore anything that would be affected by the fact these medications are taken. Tomas Enge's second drugs ban was because he or the FIA had somehow managed to mess up the relevant paperwork (his first one, like Franck's, had no officially declared medical purpose).

Technically, drugs in motor sport are in four categories:

- Anabolic agents, growth hormones and other long-term performance-enhancing drugs are banned at all times (Some of these drugs are allowed in limited quantities due to some/all people naturally producing them, or research proving good/bad effects only kick in at a certain level). Also, there are bans on anything chemically similar to a known problematic substance to stop the sports doping industry from developing "Drug X with one molecule different" to get round the rules. (If someone developed "Drug X without the sporting effect, WADA would probably be more inclined to accept this, though I'm yet to hear of any drug successfully be taken off the "general" list this way).

- Some other drugs (cannabinoids, alcohol, beta-blockers, for example) are only banned if in the system 24 or fewer hours preceding a competitive session, or during it (immediate post-session tests count as "during" in this context) and can be used as much as desired when not near a race. These are generally drugs with provide no lasting sports-relevant effect but do cause impediment. In theory, a drug with purely short-term sports-relevant benefit and no sports-relevant detriments would be placed here too, but at the moment no such drug features on that list. If a driver had these in their system in an out-of-competition test, WADA doesn't care, except to make a note in their records that this happened. If, on the other hand, a test taken during or just before race weekend featured these things in banned quantities, it's treated as a breach of the rules (Franck's mistake, in WADA's eyes, was not in taking cocaine. It was in still having it in there when he did the post-race drugs test at his most recent Formula E race).

- Caffeine and several other drugs are on the monitoring list because WADA isn't sure whether or at what level these provide a performance enhancement or sports-relevant impairment. No penalty occurs if any driver has these at any time, but if athletes abused the substances and gained from them, future lists would have them as some sort of banned substance.

- Any drug not on the list is fine as far as WADA is concerned, even if it's illegal under a given country's laws. This has the odd result that LSD may be in the system at any level and WADA won't do anything about it (since it's not on their list and isn't chemically similar to anything that is). That may be because no racing driver has so far been stupid enough to drive while detrimentally under LSD's influence. I hope so, otherwise it implies that WADA thinks driving under LSD's influence is OK when most other people would intuitively conclude otherwise.

Also, addiction to a substance isn't banned, even if that addiction is having obvious detrimental effects, provided none of the drugs on WADA's list is involved. The FIA and other governing bodies are allowed to intervene in specific cases, and in the FIA's case they'd probably require medical clearance of people they suspected might be impaired through addiction to an otherwise-innocuous substance.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:13:48 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 11:14:02 AM »
I wasn't condoning drugs and driving either John, my personal view is that if convicted of driving under the influence of drugs/alcohol it should be immediate imprisonment. Plus any driving ban should only begin when released from prison.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:15:42 AM by Ian »
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
I didn't see that Montagny was accused of being under the influence while driving. He was simply accused of using them off track. If the same standard was applied to alcohol, Kimi would have been gone years ago.

Nobody is defending impaired driving. If we were to outlaw everything that might be misused in a motorcar, we need to do away with beer, cell phones, nav systems, cup holders and sex. I'm simply saying that having a double standard (alcohol, caffeine OK - marijuana evil wicked mean & nasty) is dangerous, hypocritical and counterproductive.  The only beneficiaries of such policies are the drugs cartels and the big corporate drugs testing, enforcement and prisons for profit industries. 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 06:41:16 PM »
Nobody is defending impaired driving. If we were to outlaw everything that might be misused in a motorcar, we need to do away with beer, cell phones, nav systems, cup holders and sex. I'm simply saying that having a double standard (alcohol, caffeine OK - marijuana evil wicked mean & nasty) is dangerous, hypocritical and counterproductive.  The only beneficiaries of such policies are the drugs cartels and the big corporate drugs testing, enforcement and prisons for profit industries. 
I wish I had said that.   :good: :good: :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
Well I'd rather see them tax the hell out of marijuana than let criminal gangs make fortunes from it, but that's a different subject to dope testing in sport and motor racing in particular.

Montagny deserves the punishment he gets, he knows the rules and chose to ignore them for his own pleasure.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
Absolutely no sympathy.
If your career (especially one that you love and is in the forefront of public scrutiny) says no 'anything' you simply avoid it. No judgements of right or wrong, no discussions of if a little is too much, no decisions of if it is an acceptable type or not; just avoid it! Simples!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »
I guess we just have a heritage over here that when The Authorities say "Thou shalt not!," we ask "Why not?"
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 08:25:29 PM »
Absolutely no sympathy.
If your career (especially one that you love and is in the forefront of public scrutiny) says no 'anything' you simply avoid it. No judgements of right or wrong, no discussions of if a little is too much, no decisions of if it is an acceptable type or not; just avoid it! Simples!

In Canada there was a well known and extremely popular radio host on the national radio channel (CBC) named Jian Ghomeshi.  You guys in the USA even had him quite a bit on Public Radio - his interview show was called 'Q'.  I bring him up because what you said Monty is EXACTLY what I said about him when his scandal broke.  But it wasn't about drugs.  It was his attraction to violent and sometimes (who knows, maybe always) non consensual sex that got him in trouble. 

A big fan of his show and interview style, when his scandal broke, I could only shake my head at what an idiot he was to continue such a selfish activity while under massive public scrutiny.  Such a shame.

As for Montagny, I also have no sympathy for him, not one bit.  As it's been said, a professional driver, from any series, shouldn't use any stimulant during a race season.  I don't care if Kimi wants to kick back on a yacht somewhere during the winter break and smoke a few doobies, but he had better be clean as a whistle when he shows up for the first test or any kind of demo.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 04:43:31 PM »
I guess we just have a heritage over here that when The Authorities say "Thou shalt not!," we ask "Why not?"
Well this simply isn't British, old boy! Over here, when The Authorities say "Thou shalt not!"; we say "we didn't"; "we wouldn't have" or "it wasn't us, it was the bankers".   ;)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
Franck Montagny admitted he was guilty and said he did not ask for the B sample to be tested. The FIA has given him a two year ban. The ban will end on Dec. 23, 2016.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/fia-bans-former-formula-one-driver-franck-montagny-two-years
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle